straight piping - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
straight piping

i read the charts posted and everything, but is open straight piped? i want to straight pipe my car as i just got it smogged so i can get away with it for a year. would this hurt or improve performance by removing the 3 cats and doing true dual exhaust with either 2 or 2.25 inch pipping.i have 4.6 97 sport.

my other ride is an ambulance!
1997 V8 sport - first car - sold 6/7/10
2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 06:34 PM

Your car will sound like crap. If you ditch the cats you'd best get a resonator of some kind to keep drone down.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

2" dual is fine for stock.. keep the first two cats at least.. no sense killin ozone while we still have it.. and no, i'm not a tree hugging hippy... just no point screwing sh!t up more if we don't have to.. not like it will help you anyway. no front cats will throw a code w/o a tune

get an H or X pipe to reduce some of the noise and help balance it on the way out. H can be done at a shop, X may need to be purchased unless you get a mid mount muffler w/ tru x (magnaflow) or the shop fabs one up

I bust ARP bolts by hand...

If Guns kill people, then...
...pencils miss spel werds
...cars make people drive drunk
...spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
~Gun Owners of America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesD View Post
2" dual is fine for stock.. keep the first two cats at least.. no sense killin ozone while we still have it.. and no, i'm not a tree hugging hippy... just no point screwing sh!t up more if we don't have to.. not like it will help you anyway. no front cats will throw a code w/o a tune

get an H or X pipe to reduce some of the noise and help balance it on the way out. H can be done at a shop, X may need to be purchased unless you get a mid mount muffler w/ tru x (magnaflow) or the shop fabs one up
well what i was thinking was have it true duals and then come out the side infront of the rear tire and the ends cut like this / towards the tires. the ends of course would be chromed. what i might do is use my glass packs i bought to slip past smog. and but them in the center area but staggered so they'll fit

2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 12:33 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
dont be surprised if you get caught by roadside sniffing.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Clueless Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina View Post
dont be surprised if you get caught by roadside sniffing.
i could care less to be totally honest.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8_superbirdy View Post
i could care less to be totally honest.
are you sure you want to outwit the smog gestapo of kalifornistan? suspending or negating your registration might be a tough thing to explain to the 'rents.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 06:11 PM
PostWhore

why not put a muffler on there to make it sound good and legal at the same time?

most people talk, but few are up for the moment
-where there's money and imagination, there's cool cars
ohhh the Junkyard , one man's trash is another man's treasure

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
As a smog tech in vegas, I'll tell you right now I'd report it to dmv or fail it upon inspection or both.

Just do a decent set up like many others before you, x pipes are your friend whether they are built into a muffler like the dynomax and magnaflow units or alone.

Keep your factory primary cats if they aren't clogged or at least put some aftermarket high flows on there.

If you don't want to be hastled by the cops and instantly pulled over by the bike cop or cruiser next to you at a stop light I'd think twice about side exit and no mufflers. Due to the california law that states that the exhaust must exit behind the rear wheels.

But regardless its your car, do what you want but be prepared to pay the price when you need your next emissions test or need to pay a ticket for "Vehicle modified for noise" or some such garbage.

Many people squeek by the california visual because they keep cats and exit their exhaust out the back or pay off the smog inspector.

If you choose not to listen to the advice given to you by myself and many other on this forum than learn to enjoy your drone and any legal inconveniences.

Also it is illegal to remove or tamper with any emissions related devices (cats, egr, pcv, evap,etc...) and is illegal to resell a tampered vehicle without replacing any and all tampered devices with new OEM pieces. It is the sellers responsibility to make sure all items are intact and appear to be functioning not the buyers. So if you hack up your exhaust and sell the car 5 years from now even as is, the buyer can turn around and sue you for any and all necessary emissions related repairs due to you removing them.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.

Last edited by Chris_Murder; 01-05-2009 at 06:45 PM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

You don't want to go catless. Sounds like complete poo. Here's proof:

If you just want louder, you're better off just cutting off the mufflers (but this too sounds like poo, just not as much poo-sounding as no cats). Example:

You're better off just getting a legit exhaust.

\,,/
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 10:01 PM
PostSlut

do what most guys do, start off small....just remove both rear mufflers, put some 24" tips out back, and see how you like it..

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Clueless Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemelancholic View Post
You don't want to go catless. Sounds like complete poo.
after watching that vid i thinkin i'm not going to like the "tinyness" of it. thanks for the vid. i want something louder but sounds decent im pretty much running with no mufflers i put 22" glass packs that are straight through i may just figure out what my buddies have done and copy them as they don't sounds half bad. i like the sound to be honest of the muffler cut off as i drove around 2 days with out them on and other then the popping it wasn't to bad sounding.

EDIT: what high flow cats would you guys suggest? i've taken your guy's advice not because of legality but because of assssy sound. basically i want my car to roar like the mustangs do

Last edited by v8_superbirdy; 01-06-2009 at 03:20 AM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:44 AM
4th Gear Poster

You won't be able to get the "mustang sound" with the single exhaust.

I rather like the mellow sound that comes through my Dynomax catback setup, it also sounds rather agressive under throttle, but not too loud to disrupt conversation, and zero drone on the highway. Considering that the rear muffs are fiberglass filled, I'm sure that the sound will get louder over time too.

Though I do have a much louder setup on my P71 Vic. I replaced the cats with straight pipe, and installed long glasspacks in place of the muffs. This setup definitely improved the top end, but with the 2in full tail pipes, there was a resonance that killed my bottom end. I then cut off my tailpipes and installed turndowns right in front of the rear axle. This helped out tremendously. It gave me back my bottom end and more, and killed off that "blatty" resonance. There are times when it gets so loud that all conversation must stop, but that depends on my right foot. Also, it drones pretty loudly on the highway, but I don't mind because I just turn up the radio.

I would say that high flow cats, 2 inch pipes, glass packs, and turn downs behind the rear axle would make for a good sound with less noise in the cabin and less drone on the highway (as long as there are no tight bends, that might give you the "blattyness" that I experienced). It still won't sound quite like the new mustangs, but they have a much different and probably more costly setup.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 05:29 PM
PostWhore

here is my staight 2" Dual setup with Custom H-Pipe, Flowmaster and Stock Engine.
Best played over Home or PA system. lol
Hope that help's some.

Maic.

My idea of "help from above"... Is a sniper on the Roof

Last edited by Maic; 01-09-2009 at 09:45 PM.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 07:23 PM
6th Gear Poster

Hey MAIC, paint looks great and your exhaust sounds really good. Anyway, I have to disagree a little about no cats sounding like junk. My car doesn't have them nor does it sound like mikemelancholic's clip. Maybe it's because of differences in setups (mine is in my sig). Obviously on some arrangements no cats sound like junk, but mine is surprisingly mellow until i punch it then it screams. It doesn't crackle one bit especially after a few miles were put on my muffler. I will admit that it is a little loud for my tastes, but I got used to it. I should also note that my gf doesn't really like riding in my car because of it. I would love to post a clip, but the car is currently somewhat apart and hibernating.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 07:32 PM
PostWhore

[QUOTE=coolhandzep;1181347]Hey MAIC, paint looks great and your exhaust sounds really good. Anyway, I have to disagree a little about no cats sounding like junk. My car doesn't have them nor does it sound like mikemelancholic's clip. Maybe it's because of differences in setups (mine is in my sig). Obviously on some arrangements no cats sound like junk, but mine is surprisingly mellow until i punch it then it screams. It doesn't crackle one bit especially after a few miles were put on my muffler. I will admit that it is a little loud for my tastes, but I got used to it. I should also note that my gf doesn't really like riding in my car because of it. I would love to post a clip, but the car is currently somewhat apart and hibernating.[/QUOTE]

In the beginning they just cut my cats open and cleaned them out. After a few weeks i went with a different exhaust shop and had them removed completely. this made a noticeable noise reduction on the inside. This may be something to think about while on it.

Maic.

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Clueless Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAIC View Post
here is my staight 2" Dual setup with Custom H-Pipe, Flowmaster and Stock Engine.
Best played over Home or PA system. lol
Hope that help's some.
that sounds meeeeaaaaannnnn. what flowmasters? 40 delta series?

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 12:54 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
that sounds meeeeaaaaannnnn. what flowmasters? 40 delta series?
Thank's and YES. Found em like 3 years ago at the JunkYard for $10 each and still like em.

Maic.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Clueless Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAIC View Post
Thank's and YES. Found em like 3 years ago at the JunkYard for $10 each and still like em.
seriously. thats kick ass. for your custom H pipe is it just piping that's in the middle that you just welded in place?

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:25 AM
5th Gear Poster

The great part about Kentucky is no emision's test. Still think catless is pointless tho keep the back two maybe get some High flow's.

Cincinnati Thunderbird and cougar club www.cintcc.com
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Clueless Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlarmanm1 View Post
The great part about Kentucky is no emision's test. Still think catless is pointless tho keep the back two maybe get some High flow's.
you suck i hate you and am extremely jealous. i hate californian politics there's no common sense involved at all anymore.

maic: did you loose any torque on the bottom end taking off all the cats?

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:46 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
you suck i hate you and am extremely jealous. i hate californian politics there's no common sense involved at all anymore.

Ha the reason why they did away with it is because there was no point. All car's coming through would pass so people paying $20 for some one to tell them there car is not polluting. It was Tottal BS so everyone B**ched. People also B****ed about how there was not enough testing area's rather than paying money to build more testing area they did away with, for these two reason's we no longer have emission's testing here in KY. In most state's 96%+ of car's pass why do we even bother keeping it around i dont know.

Cincinnati Thunderbird and cougar club www.cintcc.com

Last edited by schlarmanm1; 01-10-2009 at 02:20 AM.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 06:02 AM

Well for me, my car is stock. all i did was cut from behind cats and install two pipes with flowmasters at the end. I love the sound dident loose any power no check eninge lights and not two much money. all I need now are headers
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 08:09 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
seriously. thats kick ass. for your custom H pipe is it just piping that's in the middle that you just welded in place?
The Shop did.

Maic.

post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 09:00 AM
PostWhore

Quote:

I am not really sure ! With the stock car i went to "my gente the cuba" Exhaust Shop and they convinced me to install a Mid-mount Flowmaster what would sound Bomba. It didn't sound at all and the muffler was hidding my floor panel. After some arguing and telling the guy to cut the muffler back out, they opened my cat's to clean them out. Sounded way better and i was on my way(bunch of ***). The muffler was still hidding my floor panel and every darn speedbumb, what let me to been and really paying no attention to torque. From there i found the 2 Flowmasters and had a different Shop do the straight pipes with the Flows in the back. Bye Mid-mount. I turned out nice and i liked the way it sounded and this guy works.Here at this point i felt some improvement on the way the car took off and accelerates. There was some droning on the inside, i had the cat's cut out completely, what was another improvement(have to say thanks here to the westpalmnazis for some tech input).
reading around here made me go back to the shop and have him Do the H-Pipe. Ha, ha, poor guy just welded a pip in not knowing what i want.lol
Explaining the guy to notch the straight pipes, he did it right over. Good guy.
Improvement ?!? I will say YES, i like the kick it has now, considering the engine is stock.
Lot's a worts to your question. sorry

Maic.

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
I just uploaded my videos... It's going to be a bit cuz Youtube is processing them. I'll do them when I get back from work. Peace.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
Here is when we finally got it started. This is braincoated ported manifolds with 2.25" Mandrel bent downtubes and dumped right after the high flow cats.

Here are some Dyno Pulls with the exhaust on it. It's expanded to 2.5 inch with H Pipe to 2 Borla pro XS mufflers.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in