exhaust EGR nut size? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

exhaust EGR nut size?

Hard to get to booger. Is it 1 - 1/16? Sounds odd since everything else has been metric.

I saw this tip.

Tightening the EGR tube at the header is the hardest to do... no room to swing an open end wrench. I suggest a sacrificial 12 point box end wrench with a section removed ala a tubing wrench.

That sounds like a good idea!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:13 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux View Post
Hard to get to booger. Is it 1 - 1/16? Sounds odd since everything else has been metric.

I saw this tip.

Tightening the EGR tube at the header is the hardest to do... no room to swing an open end wrench. I suggest a sacrificial 12 point box end wrench with a section removed ala a tubing wrench.

That sounds like a good idea!
Don't bother with that bolt unless you have a torch.

Last edited by tbirdguy; 04-07-2012 at 10:45 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdguy View Post
Don't bother with that bolt unless you have a torch.

well that is encouraging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I had to remove the front of my exhaust to get to it with an open end wrench, it is 1-1/16.

I had no trouble getting it off or on, didnt even use pb blaster.

-Matt
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

measuring the engine side coupling it comes to between 1.06 to just shy of 1.07 on my cheapy calibers. Now using my advanced mathematical skills 1-1/16 = 1.0625 and 1.0625 in metric is 26.9875. I believe 27mm is the appropriate size and in my frustrating search I did find one guy saying that is what he used.

This was going swimmingly until I got to the exhaust. So far I have the two 18mm nuts off the drivers side, 1 19mm nut off the passenger side. Getting to the egr nut and the 2nd nut on the passengers side looks fun. Appears I will have to take the sensor off to get to that second passenger nut. Why 18mm on one side and 19mm on the other?

Does appear dropping the midpipe is the way to go.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:17 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux View Post
measuring the engine side coupling it comes to between 1.06 to just shy of 1.07 on my cheapy calibers. Now using my advanced mathematical skills 1-1/16 = 1.0625 and 1.0625 in metric is 26.9875. I believe 27mm is the appropriate size and in my frustrating search I did find one guy saying that is what he used.

This was going swimmingly until I got to the exhaust. So far I have the two 18mm nuts off the drivers side, 1 19mm nut off the passenger side. Getting to the egr nut and the 2nd nut on the passengers side looks fun. Appears I will have to take the sensor off to get to that second passenger nut. Why 18mm on one side and 19mm on the other?

Does appear dropping the midpipe is the way to go.
Well my 1 1/16 wrench fit on it, I checked. That big open end wrench will fit from the top of the car and may give you just enuf movement to break it and get it off. I got adjustable wrenches on there too, there is barely enuf room. Problem is it wont budge, too lazy to get out the torch.

The other option is dropping the cats.

Last edited by tbirdguy; 04-07-2012 at 10:45 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Theres no way to do it from the top, I tried every way I could and I dont even have the a/c lines or accumulator in the way. Dropping the exhaust is the only option and makes the job 100x easier.

-Matt
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

got it whipped and yes dropping the exhaust is the only option really. Once you could get to it piece of cake.

I think my beef about 18mm on driver and 19mm on passenger was false. On the passenger it just looks like the nuts had been severely abused before and the 18 wouldn't fit.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:13 AM
1st Gear Poster

That thing is a pita, I was able to get it off at least twice in the past but this last time it would not budge, I had a small torch from home depot but I don't' think it was hot enough. I ended up just cutting the damn thing off had the header welded shut and then did an EGR delete to avoid it. I drive under 5,000 mi a year in PA so it's exempt from emissions.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

P B BLASTER is your friend.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 10:21 AM
1st Gear Poster

I tried that stuff and every other lubricant I could think of, the only way that nut was coming off was if I cut it off, if I ever have to remove the cap I had welded shut that's what I'll do but I didn't want to risk cutting into the threads.

However that stuff did work well on my buddy's frozen O2 sensor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in