MN12 vs FN10 exhaust? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

MN12 vs FN10 exhaust?

I have a question I hope someone on here can answer. I recently bought a '97 Mark VIII (so I'm kinda back in the family now, eh?) and I'm wondering how similar the exhaust routing is between the MN12 and FN10 chassis. I'd like to do a catback exhaust on the M8 but I don't really feel like spending all the money for a factory one. I've seen the tubing kits on eBay for the MN12 and if the routing and lengths between the two cars are pretty close, then I can make the kit work. I've done exhausts before and I can weld well enough for exhaust work, so any minor fabrication is not going to be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
They are pretty close. The only thing I'm not sure of is where it goes around the gas tank since they do use different tanks and it might be slightly different. They are definitely close enough though that you would be able to make it work.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
Old 02-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Is your Mark VIII a Base model or an LSC. I ask because they have different systems (LSC has true duals with the third cat having dual outputs).

Either way, I think you'll be patching a system together and it might be easier to just build one from scratch.

But I'm with you as I would like to upgrade my LSC to a different exhaust also.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L View Post
Is your Mark VIII a Base model or an LSC. I ask because they have different systems (LSC has true duals with the third cat having dual outputs).

Either way, I think you'll be patching a system together and it might be easier to just build one from scratch.

But I'm with you as I would like to upgrade my LSC to a different exhaust also.

side note....thank you for spelling dual properly.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

It's a base model. I don't want anything ridiculously loud since I'd like to retain as much of the "Lincolnness" as I can, but I do want something louder than the stock whisper. I want to be able to hear that I have a V8 in the car.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
My LSC has the stock exhaust with the mufflers cut off and straight pipes in their place, and it sounds great. It's not too loud, but has a nice rumble to it that you can hear in the car.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
Old 02-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to SplitPortBird
The MARK and Tbird and almost exact except for where it comes to the trunk,, the trunk is longer on a mark vs. the tbird.

I put a Mark VIII exhaust on my bird but the mufflers had to be cut off and smaller ones would have to be installed..

I dont see any reason the kits on ebay wouldnt work for a mark,, you would just need to have some extension pipes made when it come to matting them to the mufflers.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:31 AM
PostWhore

i have a 95 base Mark and started by replacing the muffs with striahgt pipe, if you like it, keep it. i wanted it louder so i took out the resonator and its the best desicion. the cheapest best sounding exhaust i have done to a car. but if you want to keep the "lincolness" to it, i would recommend getting rid of the mufflers and go from there.

total cost was $60 to have a shop put pipes in place of the muffs and put stock tips back on. i welded in a stright pipe in for resonator myself. it has a nide rumble at idle and doesnt really SCREAM at WOT as it could, but i love it. cruising at 70 there is no drone, about 50-60 there is slight drone in cabin

most people talk, but few are up for the moment
-where there's money and imagination, there's cool cars
ohhh the Junkyard , one man's trash is another man's treasure

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
Old 02-13-2009, 10:07 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to driller
This is what it will look like...

Old 02-14-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm going to go ahead and buy that tubing kit within the next few weeks and try to fit it up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in