mac long tubes in 97 GT convertible - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

mac long tubes in 97 GT convertible

I know you guys are tbird oriented but IMHO the advise here is so much better than on the mustang boards. You guys know your stuff. Besides I got a dirty d0g converter so I be like family too.

I am installing mac long tubes and catted H pipe on a 97 GT automatic convertible.

My understanding is

macs will install as is (no moving anything or cutting or welding) with an automatic transmission.

If you need to remove the transmission you might have to loosen the passenger headers.

I will need 02 extensions. True?

The mil connectors should be fine with the mid pipe.

Use OEM ford gaskets for the headers and the donut gasket on the passenger down pipe.

Questions?

Will I have to remove the steering shaft to get the headers in?

Will I have to cut on my convertible brace or will they clear it no problem?

If my stock brace is a problem is there an aftermarket one that clears?

If you remove the K member where should you put your jack stands? I usually put them on the A arm which is attached to the K member.

I will follow the advise to drop the k member but I keep reading all you have to remove is 8 bolts. Any good write up on k member removal?

Can I really just support the engine by putting a block of wood under the oil pan and using a jack to raise or lower the engine?

Are the header bolts easier to get too by raising or lowering the engine?

How much slack do I have with tubes and wires either way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:55 PM

I dont know the details of your questions without just doing the work, but Ill take a stab at answering some of them..
Cutting out convertible braces is a very bad idea, unless your going to take the time to fabricate and re-enforce whatever cutting you do, but it would just be easyer to mod a header pipe than body structure.
Im nont familiar with the k members but you should just look and evaluate, make sure everything is suported, and nothing has a risck of loosing structeral integrity when removing, weather you can do this by using stands on frame locations or possably having to weld in temporary suporting structures shoud be determand by someone who knows what theyr doing.. Mustangs are unitized cars so all the frame rails, Xmembers and Kmembers are very inportant (specialy on convertables). If you dont know much about the frame work in your car your running the risk of serious damage to your car.
You can jack up an engine with a block of wood on the oil pan (a block that is large enough to suport it without caving it in) but you will not be able to lift the engine much. eventualy the engine and trans will run into clearence issues with the fire wall and floor pans.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

well since I got a response and I did install the headers I will give some feedback too.

The headers fit real nicely without having to modify the convertible brace at all. I also installed catted mac mid pipe. No signs the headers drag at all and some scrap on the cats. car is lowered about 1 1/2 inches.

I put the jack stands on the frame.

I had to jack the engine up a few inches to get the headers in.

Fits real tight on the starter.

Dropping the k member was the right thing to do. There is no way you could really get to the header bolts and tighten them properly any other way IMHO.

Managed to do it by myself too.

Sounds good, a little louder, but not obnoxious.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in