Improve flow w/o increasing noise... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Improve flow w/o increasing noise...

Ok, forgive the n00b thread on this but I'm kinda sensitive about noise.

The last car I had was all flowmaster'd out and the noise was really annoying-- but the REAL problem was all the unnecessary attention it drew to the car.

I want to improve flow but I'm not sure how much is there to be gleaned off of a stock 4.6L NPI engine or if it's even a restriction.

What would be the best option for keeping noise down while improving flow? The closer to stock Db levels the better...

Should I just have the piping replaced with bigger diameter pipes and leave the stock things in place? Should I remove the resonator chamber thing in the middle?

Your input is really helpful.

I've been ticket free for several years and I'd like to keep it that way, and having quiet mufflers helps me skirt around under the public eye... With this particular car I try very hard to keep up a stock appearance externally.

Best,
Ghost

96 Laser Red 4.6L - Custom
Custom Nascar-Inspired Bodykit - 55* Rear Spoiler - J-modded Trans - 80mm MAF - One-Off Diablosport Chipmaster Revolution Chip/Tune W/Toggle - ScanGaugeII Diagnostics & Data Readout - PBR Brakes - Drilled/Slotted Rotors - SC Wheels & Springs - Falken Tires - KYB GR-1 Shocks/Struts - FSTB - RSTB - RTLB - LECB - 60/40 Split Rear - SC Seats - SC Vac/Boost Gauge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 05:21 PM
shaken, not stirred

You may try putting an X pipe or a magnaflow in place of the resonator, and then run true duals out the back to the stock mufflers (if you still have em) because stock is really pretty quiet. But you would still get good flow with the X and true duals ans quietness with stock muffs. just a thought.

C.Hill

'97 Laser Red T-bird w/ Option 66S - 125,000 miles, stock except for 3.73s Best ET 15.6 @ 88.3
'94 Electric Red T-bird LX V-8- 212,000 miles- SOLD
2005 Ebony Black Excursion Limited 6.0 Diesel STUDDED

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

http://www.tailofthedragon.com <---- A test of driving ability and nerves.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Veteran Poster

I had a cat back I had done that was easily as quiet as stock.
Dual in and out 2.5" Magnaflow muffler replacing the third cat setup. Into an X pipe.
Then Dynomax superturbos at the back with Magnaflow 2 1/4" resonator tips.

Its breathed easier for sure but was like stock sounding.
All totalled it cost $600 to do.

Don't use the stock mufflers, they are so restrictive its crazy.

Last edited by RichardM; 04-02-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: image added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Borla.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Mine is pretty much stock and for duals, i went with stock cats up front, 2 1/4" pipes, took out third cat and resonator into stock mufflers at rear. Not bad and i'm sure that removes more than enough restriction on a fairly stock 4.6 and still is fairly peaceful.

95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
K&N cold air intake. True 2 1/4" duals, Xenon GFX. 3:55 Trac loc. Beefier trans, 2800 stall convertor, MkV111 aluminum driveshaft.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangboy7 View Post
You may try putting an X pipe or a magnaflow in place of the resonator, and then run true duals out the back to the stock mufflers (if you still have em) because stock is really pretty quiet. But you would still get good flow with the X and true duals ans quietness with stock muffs. just a thought.

C.Hill
x pipe it is with duals.

Best,
Ghost

96 Laser Red 4.6L - Custom
Custom Nascar-Inspired Bodykit - 55* Rear Spoiler - J-modded Trans - 80mm MAF - One-Off Diablosport Chipmaster Revolution Chip/Tune W/Toggle - ScanGaugeII Diagnostics & Data Readout - PBR Brakes - Drilled/Slotted Rotors - SC Wheels & Springs - Falken Tires - KYB GR-1 Shocks/Struts - FSTB - RSTB - RTLB - LECB - 60/40 Split Rear - SC Seats - SC Vac/Boost Gauge
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
I was running true duals with a magnaflow mid mount muffler and dynamax mufflers out back last time I visited u nick. I have since ditched the rear mufflers to increase sound. If you liked how they sounded we could arrange a deal.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in