SVT Contour Mufflers on a Bird? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

SVT Contour Mufflers on a Bird?

Hey guys.

I found a set of SVT Contour mufflers for cheap with tips still attached. I rather like the way they look but I wanted to be sure they flowed better than stock tbird mufflers.

Also, what kind of hacksaw is best to cut through exhaust pipes?

Best,
Ghost

96 Laser Red 4.6L - Custom
Custom Nascar-Inspired Bodykit - 55* Rear Spoiler - J-modded Trans - 80mm MAF - One-Off Diablosport Chipmaster Revolution Chip/Tune W/Toggle - ScanGaugeII Diagnostics & Data Readout - PBR Brakes - Drilled/Slotted Rotors - SC Wheels & Springs - Falken Tires - KYB GR-1 Shocks/Struts - FSTB - RSTB - RTLB - LECB - 60/40 Split Rear - SC Seats - SC Vac/Boost Gauge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 11:57 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Got pics?

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

This better?

Custom Nascar-Inspired Bodykit - 55* Rear Spoiler - J-modded Trans - 80mm MAF - One-Off Diablosport Chipmaster Revolution Chip/Tune W/Toggle - ScanGaugeII Diagnostics & Data Readout - PBR Brakes - Drilled/Slotted Rotors - SC Wheels & Springs - Falken Tires - KYB GR-1 Shocks/Struts - FSTB - RSTB - RTLB - LECB - 60/40 Split Rear - SC Seats - SC Vac/Boost Gauge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Yea! now you got me curious!

Thanks!

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Well, it's $22.99 for the both of them. I'll spend the $23 for the tips I guess and find out how they sound-- there's no way they can be more restrictive than stock tbird mufflers.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 01:52 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
So you want junky mufflers for the tips? Wow

And theres a few other restrictions in the stock exhaust other than the mufflers.

-Matt
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Well, tips cost more than $22.99; in my last thread here the mufflers were listed as being one of the bigger restrictions.

Again, the object is to free up flow without making the car drone or overly loud-- I want the car to stay quiet so it doesn't draw any more attention than necessary.

Care to fill me in on the bigger restrictions?

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 02:08 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
The pipes are the biggest restriction in the stock exhaust, along with the cats. The mufflers make no difference at all. When i hacked them off my old exhaust all it changed was sound nothing more.

-Matt
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

So, theoretically then, I could simply leave the mufflers STOCK (and maybe put some tips on them... by the way, should the resonator stay or go?) and run 2.5" true duals to the stock mufflers and experience a gain in power?

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 11:21 AM
motor city poster

Send a message via AIM to Red96Bird
correct on assuming flow for mufflers...many of mustang guys run an off-road h or x pipe but keep factory mufflers to keep them somewhat quiet but it is still plenty noisy with no cats.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I went to 2.25 pipe, true duals to rear, ditched the 3rd cat and resonator and run stock mufflers. It sounds good and isn't droning or loud.

95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
K&N cold air intake. True 2 1/4" duals, Xenon GFX. 3:55 Trac loc. Beefier trans, 2800 stall convertor, MkV111 aluminum driveshaft.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckcreekbilly View Post
I went to 2.25 pipe, true duals to rear, ditched the 3rd cat and resonator and run stock mufflers. It sounds good and isn't droning or loud.
Could you maybe get me pictures of your setup (if you have them?)

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Next time i'm in town and get it up on a hoist, i'll get ya some.

95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
K&N cold air intake. True 2 1/4" duals, Xenon GFX. 3:55 Trac loc. Beefier trans, 2800 stall convertor, MkV111 aluminum driveshaft.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

should I go get the mufflers tomorrow?

it's my last chance. should i bother? y/n?

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 08:56 AM
1st Gear Poster

how about some roush stage 1 mufflers
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

My opinion, for what it's worth, if you want it quiet, stay with stock mufflers, lower restriction mufflers will give more sound. Once the third cat and resonator are gone and your running true duals all the way back, that eliminates more than enough restriction, unless you plan on pushing way more horsepower.

95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

welp looks like I'm gonna go with billy's suggestion though I might be hard pressed to get rid of the 3rd cat (cali) but I reckon the local muffler shop'll do it if I offer cash w/o receipt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in