My pipe is smooshed... upgrade options? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
My pipe is smooshed... upgrade options?

Not too long ago I noticed that the exhaust pipe is kinda crushed near the rear u-joint in the driveshaft. From what I could see it was pushed in on itself no more than an inch or so, I'll try to get a picture of it sometime tomorrow. Until then, I know the opinions I can get will be limited, but I'll present the questions and concerns I have now all the same.

First of all, I know the crushed pipe can't be doing any good for the car's performance. Any ideas on how much it might be affecting the numbers, hypothetically? Is it possible that it's also reducing my gas mileage?

Obviously, this needs my attention. However, I have entertained the idea of upgrading to true duals in the past. If I start messing with the exhaust, why not do it all in one fell swoop? It shouldn't cost too much (I'm hoping under $300 but no more than $500) and I should be ale to take care of it in my driveway in a day. Here's my only drawback: I don't have ANY exhaust work experience, I don't have a welder or a lift, and the amount of time the car can remain out of commission is at most, two... perhaps three days (unless I take vacation). I greatly prefer to do my own work. However, my dad would be able to assist me since he's replaced the exhaust on his '76 Trans Am before and has a bit more experience in that area.

With those concerns in mind, do you think I should just replace the crushed section of the pipe (fix it) or go for broke and install the whole dual exhaust system (upgrade it)? I mean, how hard can it be...?

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Not too long ago I noticed that the exhaust pipe is kinda crushed near the rear u-joint in the driveshaft. From what I could see it was pushed in on itself no more than an inch or so, I'll try to get a picture of it sometime tomorrow. Until then, I know the opinions I can get will be limited, but I'll present the questions and concerns I have now all the same.

First of all, I know the crushed pipe can't be doing any good for the car's performance. Any ideas on how much it might be affecting the numbers, hypothetically? Is it possible that it's also reducing my gas mileage?

Obviously, this needs my attention. However, I have entertained the idea of upgrading to true duals in the past. If I start messing with the exhaust, why not do it all in one fell swoop? It shouldn't cost too much (I'm hoping under $300 but no more than $500) and I should be ale to take care of it in my driveway in a day. Here's my only drawback: I don't have ANY exhaust work experience, I don't have a welder or a lift, and the amount of time the car can remain out of commission is at most, two... perhaps three days (unless I take vacation). I greatly prefer to do my own work. However, my dad would be able to assist me since he's replaced the exhaust on his '76 Trans Am before and has a bit more experience in that area.

With those concerns in mind, do you think I should just replace the crushed section of the pipe (fix it) or go for broke and install the whole dual exhaust system (upgrade it)? I mean, how hard can it be...?
you talking about where the stock pipe is flattened a bit? after the point where you can break it down. like where theres a brace below the exhuast. if so thats there so you can remove the piping. if that flat spot wasn't there i don't think you would be able to remove the exhaust where it breaks away from the cat side.

my other ride is an ambulance!
1997 V8 sport - first car - sold 6/7/10
2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Yeah, there's a little brace under where it's flattened. It's really supposed to be like that? Wow...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
Quote:
Yeah, there's a little brace under where it's flattened. It's really supposed to be like that? Wow...
yeah without it you wouldn't be able to remove the back section of the piping. obviously a more better fix would be to make a brace thats beefier as well as a dip in it so you could replace the piping with a full O shaped pipe not a D shaped one.

no one knows why ford does things they just do them and we make it better.

2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Hm, I get it.

Different question now, somewhat related to the first. How hard would it be to do the barest of all dual upgrades? Keep the front two cats and rear mufflers, just pop an x-pipe in and hook up the pipes with the rear end? Or would there be practically no point in doing that without changing the cats and mufflers?

-Brandon

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Clueless Poster

Quote:
Hm, I get it.

Different question now, somewhat related to the first. How hard would it be to do the barest of all dual upgrades? Keep the front two cats and rear mufflers, just pop an x-pipe in and hook up the pipes with the rear end? Or would there be practically no point in doing that without changing the cats and mufflers?

so you want to delete one y cat. it might raise the db levels a tad but no performance would be gained. good idea would to go look at the tech article dealing with pipe sizing and look at what pipe size is recommended for what you put out then change the cats mufflers and piping all at once to the more beneficial size. all in all it's not so hard as it will be somewhat expensive. i personally am a cheap ass i just took off the exhaust for now from the break away point in the center. it in my opinion sounds like an older carbed engine, but it has THE worst amount of drone you could ever imagine as it reverbirates up through the floor pan.

the flat spot is the one of the biggest restrictions in the piping. i def suggest a true dual setup if its legal in your area. the x pipe is a good idea or at least a home made H pipe both create great sound quality from all the different setups i've heard out there.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I see. I'm not really looking to make the car sound loud[er], so maybe I'll just put the idea on hold until I can figure out what I really want to do.

... Is it just me or is the exhaust section of the tech articles down?

-Brandon

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Clueless Poster

Quote:
I see. I'm not really looking to make the car sound loud[er], so maybe I'll just put the idea on hold until I can figure out what I really want to do.

... Is it just me or is the exhaust section of the tech articles down?
oh...its been that way for a while if you're stock then its something like 2 1/4 - 2 1/2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in