True Duals Reworked (not 56K friendly). - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to SignofTheCat94 Send a message via Yahoo to SignofTheCat94
True Duals Reworked (not 56K friendly).

Just figured I'd post up a couple pics of some recent work. I'll let the pictures tell the tale.

Muffler removed:

Muffler re-worked for new system:

Close up of welds (I didn't do these; it's one of my friends)

New cats/pipes on car:

I ran out of daylight for pictures, but it is completed. I will post up finals with the rear section in from under the car and outside the car. The pipes terminate at the front of the rear wheel below the ground effects. It's got just a touch of drone around town but sounds great on the highway and opened up. The system is all 2.25, Magnaflow hi-flow cats (front 2 only), Magnaflow DIDO muffler, Flow-Tech header flanges and ball flanges, and chrome tips (may get smaller tips for ground clearance). This system can be done easily in a driveway if you have welding skills. PM me if you'd like more details, etc. on the install.

Mods? Do the ones in the garage waiting to go on the car count?

Many thanks to my fellow Veterans; I am honored to be a part of your ranks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to chris g
looks good man.

COLD AIR INTAKE, MN12 PERFORMANCE FRONT SUSPENSION KIT, SILVER PAINTED AVS WINDOW GUARDS, SILVER PAINTED DASH PANELS, 28% MIRROR TINTED WINDOWS, SUSPENSION TECHNIQUES 2'' DROP, TRUE BENDS CUSTOM 2.5'' TRUE DUAL EXHAUST. 2nd generation SC wheels.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to SignofTheCat94 Send a message via Yahoo to SignofTheCat94
Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Nice there bud

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Looks like your bud just tack welded it all the way around .. is your welder too hot for these pipes ?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Pictures of the tips and exit location:

Here's a couple more pics of the tips and exit. The chrome tips sit pretty close to the ground; I have to get a good test drive in on this before I call it good. I'm a bit worried about clearance, especially if I lower the car. So far, there's been no scraping..... Thanks for the replies and opinions; SCTBird, there was an issue with the welder's wire feed and those welds were not yet cleaned up when the pictures were taken. You've got a good eye to catch that; seems like you might have been there a time or two before! As each part was done, we had to fit it to complete the next part (that's when the pictures were taken). If the system proves good, it will come off and get a good clean up and some hi-temp paint as well as a couple of mandrel bent 45's to replace the Autozone ones before going back on. I didn't intend on changing it up quite so soon; this started by putting new cats and O2's on when I noticed some damage to one of the old pipes. We had to get the parts off the shelf at the last minute and figured it would be a good testing opportunity.

Muffler to tip:

Tip at exit:

Last edited by SignofTheCat94; 05-04-2009 at 10:41 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I think you will have a small clearance issue on steep inclines. You might not want to lower it at all.
Welds look fine, I was just wondering why it was tacked all the way around.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Well, I drove the car around a bit this weekend; SCT, you're dead on; steep inclines do not get along with this set up at all LOL! I really like the sound of it, but I will probably end up doing something different with it.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 01:23 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I had built something similar a few years back .. except I had 2 mufflers under the car. It was lowered 2", and when I pulled it out of the garage, the mufflers touched ground very quickly. So I threw some stock SC springs on it instead, and it was driveable, but still scraped every once and a while.
I was going to re-work it, then plans changed and I ended up getting rid of the 4.6 PI for a DOHC complete with a LSC dual exhaust .. made things much easier.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I've actually got another idea to try now, but I'm going to have to give up the side exits to do it. My real goal here is to use off the shelf parts from common sources to help people get this done without having find a good shop. I've already spent $400 on a custom cat back that I still have, but it's only 2.25 and I like the sound on 2.5's. The way it looks, I can bring in true mandrel bent 2.5's from the end of the front 2 cats to the rear for around $200. If it works, I'll post up step by step with pictures and part numbers.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 08:20 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignofTheCat94 View Post
I've actually got another idea to try now, but I'm going to have to give up the side exits to do it. My real goal here is to use off the shelf parts from common sources to help people get this done without having find a good shop. I've already spent $400 on a custom cat back that I still have, but it's only 2.25 and I like the sound on 2.5's. The way it looks, I can bring in true mandrel bent 2.5's from the end of the front 2 cats to the rear for around $200. If it works, I'll post up step by step with pictures and part numbers.
SignofTheCat94,

I was just wondering if you have figured out anything else with that off the shelf plan. I have been watching to see what you have found out about it.

Kevin
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I found some mandrel bent pipes at Summit (flowmaster 2.5's), but they want $120 plus shipping for that set. At that rate, it's better to go off the e-bay store in the thread "mandrel bent exhaust". $120 gets you all the way back from the center. The only other thing I found out is that with 2.5" and stock suspension, you're pretty much fine with the tips coming out by the rear wheel. I had to get rid of the truck tips from mine as they do scrape on any bumpy road. I think I'm just going to go with the ebay pipes to the rear. I'm playing with exit locations and tip styles now LOL! I think I change my exhaust more that Phatbird changes his rims!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in