Finishing up my million dollar exhaust.... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Finishing up my million dollar exhaust....

Getting ready for the inevitable powertrain swap. I figured not having to do all this to match up to the mid length headers in the middle of everything else, would save me one headache of the many which I'm sure I'm going to have when the day comes.

Install accessories

basic layout: 1-3/4 into 3" coated Kooks into stainless pipe through metallic spun cats on to a Y pipe for the cutout on each side into a single 3" pipe back the existing rear section consisting of 3" stainless, into 3" IN, dual 2.5 OUT 80 series crossflow Flowmater.

close up

with headers

Stay tuned for more as this project gets rolling in the next few weeks. This will be done in time for Carlisle.

Jim

Slightly Jerryfied...

Last edited by 95LX; 05-10-2009 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Added more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 02:04 AM
PostWhore

Wow! Where did you get those Y pipes?

1995 T-bird 4.6l - Eibach lowering springs, Cobra R hood, One 12" sub woofer, Alpine type-R front speakers. 16.249 @85.11mph 1/4 mile
2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - Cam, headers, HPtuned by me.
post #3 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

these started life as 45 degree ells. My machine shop cut them and welded them up for me. Mandrel bends, I'm a sucker for mandrel bends!

Slightly Jerryfied...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 05:16 AM
PostWhore

That's some pretty stuff!

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
post #5 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 12:59 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thunderbirdlver Send a message via Yahoo to thunderbirdlver
holy balls!

If your exhaust tip is larger than your cylinder bore, then you are a Ricer.
post #6 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 04:56 PM
2nd Gear Poster

WOW. Very Nice.
post #7 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Beautiful!

I'm sure you have an equally as impressive engine that you're mounting all of that to.

Now that you've teased us with the exhaust, let's see the rest of your little project!

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #8 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 08:31 PM

Your exhaust is really pissing me off. Mainly because it's going on your car and not mine.
post #9 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 09:11 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Wow... that is way too nice!
post #10 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Beautiful!

I'm sure you have an equally as impressive engine that you're mounting all of that to.

Now that you've teased us with the exhaust, let's see the rest of your little project!
Stock oil burning F4 head 2V I bet j/k

Very cool setup, I'd be scared to drive anywhere with an exhaust that pretty.

-Matt
post #11 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Well, one thing is for sure... my F4 head 4.6 is no longer oil burning. I just swapped out the valve seals last week.
Anyway, as I said in the first post this is to get the car ready for the powertrain swap. I should have used the word future in the first post.
I try to go by the "twice the time and twice the budget" rule. So bottom line, there is no bling bling under the hood yet. And there certainly isn't a project behind this one at the moment.
The car will be at Carlisle for anyone interested in checking it out in person though.

Slightly Jerryfied...
post #12 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 11:24 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Awesome! I'll see ya at Carlisle. You can see my car too.

But, alas, my swap won't be done until after Carlisle. But, if you come to the JBMN Summer Blast in August I should have the swap done by then.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #13 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via MSN to sik97bird
awsome, im jealous

I'M BACK
97 Supercharged Ford Thunderbird with warpdrive
Check out my Gallery

vist the Man RobertP at www.robstireandauto.com
post #14 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 10:01 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Red-Resurected97_4.6
you should let us know what the grand total is when you get it done...that is if you dont mind. cuz i think those kooks headers are like 700 bucks from scp..

1997 T-Bird 4.6l V8-- Rear mufflers swapped for 2" straight pipes, Air silencer removed and K&N panel filter. SCP Cobra R Ram Air hood.
post #15 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 02:03 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Resurected97_4.6 View Post
you should let us know what the grand total is when you get it done...that is if you dont mind. cuz i think those kooks headers are like 700 bucks from scp..
The coated Kooks in the 1-3/4 into 3" size are like $850 from SCP!

post #16 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Ouch

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

Last edited by Boston-Bull; 05-13-2009 at 03:55 PM.
post #17 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
I like it. Single exhaust isnt for me. But otherwise I really like it.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #18 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

The Coated Kooks shipped were $926. Cutouts w/control box, gaskets, fasteners, flanges, o2 extenders, bungs, and cats were $820 Stainless elbows are about 40 bucks a pop on average. The cutting and welding for the three Y pipes ran $140 Additional pipe is around 5 to 10 bucks per foot.
I realize that for this money most people would just buy a single go fast part and be done with it, but this needs to be done now so that I can move on to bigger, better things in the not so distant future.

Slightly Jerryfied...
post #19 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 11:16 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Wow! Just Wow! That's got to be one of the most amazing exhaust systems I've seen on here.

Will you have this on the car by the time Carlisle rolls around in three weeks?

post #20 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

That's the plan. Hence the late nights under the car after work.

Quote:
But, if you come to the JBMN Summer Blast in August
Haven't missed a single JBMN yet. That's another excuse to get more stuff done to the car.

Slightly Jerryfied...
post #21 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:40 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to SignofTheCat94 Send a message via Yahoo to SignofTheCat94
Absolutely incredible.

Mods? Do the ones in the garage waiting to go on the car count?

Many thanks to my fellow Veterans; I am honored to be a part of your ranks.
post #22 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Snapped a few pics before calling it a day tonight... Sorry for the cell phone picture quality. I'll be sure to keep the camera handy as I piece this puzzle together to provide some better looking shots next time.

These puppies should be getting welded tomorrow. Can't really call them downtubes, they're what comes right after the header flange to line up with the cat on each side.

Rolled straight pipe. This will connect to the existing pipe via a lap joint stainless 360* seal clamp just before the gas tank.

Here's what the Y pipe section with the cutouts currently looks like.

Took this when I needed a visual to explain to the parts store clerks about what wrench I needed to tighten the center bolt. It's a 12 point that needed an open end wrench. I ended up using a combo of a Snap On Extreme Grip open end along with a cheapie box wrench that I ended up grinding to form a C shape to clear the header tube. Notice another bolt further back was still not in place at the time. The picture makes it look like there is all kinds of room. I'm sure I don't need to explain how much of a PITA it was to access some of these bolts. BTW, they're Percy's Split Lock Fasteners with locking pins.

Here's the somewhat blurry bird in its current state...begging to be lowered back to the ground already!

As soon as I get more time, I'll fit the entire system to check for clearances and mark the o2 bung locations, along with flange positioning.

Slightly Jerryfied...
post #23 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Back again with a few more pics from tonight.

Trying on the lap joint clamp. The angle of the shot makes the turn look like poo, it's actually a very smooth mandrel 45* turn.

o2 bung locations, and flange positions marked on the downtubes and are ready for cutting & welding.

Here's the center section being fitted. The driver side cutout is in place and all clearances are looking good so far. I'm having a set of turndowns cut tomorrow so the exhaust is directed away from the undercarriage.

Fitted, marked, and ready for cutting & welding.

That's all for tonight.

Slightly Jerryfied...
post #24 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Damn!! Exhaust is worth more than the car. Lol

95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
K&N cold air intake. True 2 1/4" duals, Xenon GFX. 3:55 Trac loc. Beefier trans, 2800 stall convertor, MkV111 aluminum driveshaft.
post #25 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Haha, welcome to the world of MN12.

Slightly Jerryfied...
post #26 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 02:41 AM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
i've always wanted cut outs so i can have that beautiful wide open exhaust sound just ding that setup costs a fortune especially just for the cut out valves.

my other ride is an ambulance!
1997 V8 sport - first car - sold 6/7/10
2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
post #27 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:07 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckcreekbilly View Post
Damn!! Exhaust is worth more than the car. Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95LX View Post
Haha, welcome to the world of MN12.

No doubt!

post #28 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
that setup costs a fortune especially just for the cut out valves
I'm sure the cutouts can be installed for under $500 on most any car.
Believe me, I didn't go with them for the sound. I don't plan to run with them open on the street. Hell, the car sees less than 1,500 miles a year as is. I just don't want to have to go back to this when I run out of flow in the future. The Flomaster sounds nice, but is the weakest link of the whole setup right now. The dumps merely pick up where the muffler falls short in terms of reducing back pressure. So take out that heavy *** stainless and use compression bends and you'll have your cutouts for a reasonable cost.

Slightly Jerryfied...
post #29 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Here's the stuff all welded up and polished.

The car should be up and running sometime by mid week.

Slightly Jerryfied...
post #30 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 08:29 AM
1st Gear Poster

put that in the sun light & you will need sunglasses. Nice!

"I did not brake it I modified it"
'89 Ranger GT
‎"Putting Chevy's in Fords are like slapping God in the face for giving u a beautiful gift"-Gerran Watson
'91 Explorer XLT
'95 T-Bird 4.6 V8, pbr brakes, Cross-Drilled & Slotted Rotors
http://www.cardomain.com/id/RangerGT89

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in