Can you remove the EGR system permenantly? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Question Can you remove the EGR system permenantly?

Is it possible to completely remove the EGR valve/system on a 4.6L W, and still pass an emission test?

What the hell exactly does it do other than degrade performance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 06:32 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
Is it possible to completely remove the EGR valve/system on a 4.6L W, and still pass an emission test?

What the hell exactly does it do other than degrade performance?
Actually, it increases performance if its completely plugged, since it injects hot air at part throttle into the engine. It is unlikely you will notice a difference however.

It is supposed to reduce detonation(mine is blocked and I have none) and reduce pollution (oxides of nitrogen)/increase gas mileage a bit.

If you want to pay a few hundred for a tune it can be removed. I don't know if its legal or not but it can definately be deleted.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

a tune eh.... I wouldn't remove it without a tune unless it could be done with no bad effect on performance, but I wouldn't get a tune until I've done other stuff to the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC94XR7 View Post
i would doubt you will pass. the egr system operates at full throttle and somehow skimms the unburnt exhaust gasses out and chuckes them back into the combustion chamber with a little help from the smog pump and in into the heads again- ****, im on a roll today
Modular motors have no smog pump.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 10:30 PM
PostWhore

IIRC there is a Thread here about an exemption if you Drive less than 5000 miles a Year.

-Maic

Maic.

My idea of "help from above"... Is a sniper on the Roof
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 10:31 PM

Two wrong bits of info floating in this thread. EGR doesn't hurt performance and it doesn't operate at full throttle.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
The smog pump is not needed. It only works on initial startup, and its only job is to feed fresh air to the cats to help get them up to operating temp faster. There are other ways to feed fresh air to the cats besides the complicated system of hoses, vacuum lines, and check valves thata smog pump uses. Plus after the car has been running for about a minute, the smog pump is completely useless, so you could cut the thing off or gut the insides of it, and run the car through inspection, and your emissions readings would not change at all.

As for passing emissions without EGR, it depends what is involved in the test where you live. You will definitely need a tune to turn it off in the computer, otherwise you will get a check engine light, and that will almost surely cause you to fail. Also if they do a visual inspection, you might want to leave everything hooked up and just have it turned off in the tune, this way they wouldn't know. With that being said, I did pass emissions in my 94 cougar with the EGR turned off in the tune. EGR lowers NOx emissions by quite a bit, so my NOx was getting kind of close to the limit, but was still under by enough to safely pass. If I remember correctly, I think the limit was like 1100, and my reading was somewhere in the 850-900 range. The cats also reduce NOx, so as long as they are good, even with no EGR, it should come in under the limit. But, as Master486 already said, unless it is malfunctioning and you don't feel like fixing it, there is no good reason to delete EGR. It doesn't hurt performance at all, it improves part-throttle drivability (not a lot, but the improvement is there), and it improves your gas mileage by 1-2mpg on the highway. Unless it is an issue of it is going to cost too much to fix it right, just leave it on and functional. It is a good system that works well and hurts nothing, but for some reason it gets a bum rap for hurting performance.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 01:10 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
If you have no EGR, your car will most likely fail emissions testing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in