Deleted my resonators today... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Deleted my mufflers today... (Video Added)

Awesome!!!

It sounds badass now, and wasn't hard.... or expensive.

I hacked off the resonators, then cut the tips off of them. I purchased two pieces of straight pipe($20 @ crappy tire), cut them to the right size, and welded the resonator tips on them.

put in place, the tips are basically in the exact same spot that they were when the resonators were in.

I haven't yet put a mount on them, but I think a couple of eye hooks welded on to the pipes will hook right on to the existing resonator mounts.

It was a quick and dirty job, the pipes were just welded back on to keep the exhaust coming out in the same spot..... there on good enough to hold...... the MIG ran out of CO2, but still got the job finished.

I gotta go pickup my gf from work in a couple of hours, and shes gonna get in, hear it and say(with a priceless look on her face, knowing what my dad spent on his Magnaflows on his dodge pickup that almost sound the same) "What did you do?" ......

I'll reel her in a bit before I tell her it was only a $20 job.

I should also mention, the cherry bomb my dad had from his old truck(mentioned in another thread) couldn't be put on as it was only a single inlet, and this car has a dual-in-single-out muffler.....but it sounds sweet as it is.

Last edited by BigJohnny; 09-14-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Added Video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 04:29 PM
1st Gear Poster

Interested to see if this really sounds like magnaflows. Pics and Video, Por Favor.

- Painted the upper body line Metallic Gold
- 20% Tint back/35% up front
- 18" chrome Pacer VALINNs
- Air silencer delete
- Mufflers replaced w/ chrome tips
- Now retired to Daily Driver

93 Mark VIII Lemon
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

I should rephrase, to someone who doesn't know exhaust it would sound pretty much the same.

They do sound close at idle, and when it starts up it sounds almost identical. I haven't driven it around much yet to see how it sounds out on the road, but its fairly close imho to my dads truck(magnaflows)

I'll see what I can do about getting a video with some sound.... I dont have a video cam, but my parents digicam does a good job I think.

nothign to really take pics of, simply chopped them off, and welded a couple pipes back in hastily just to keep stuff in the right spots.

I'll let you know how I think they really sound when I drive it, then I will know how it sounds compared to the mags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
My real exhaust with magnaflows sounds night and day to my old hacked muffler setup , especially at idle. Enjoy the drone

-Matt
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 07:27 PM
6th Gear Poster

Pics and video nao. K thx.

- 4.8.15.16.23.42 -

"You never even hear it when it happens, do you?"
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

working on a vid, I got my parents camera, but it doesnt seem to want to let me pull the 600MB video off of it lol.

what kind of car did you have the mags on?
Obviously it isn't going to sound anywhere near what an actual tuned exhaust will..... but it sounds damn good for a $20 mod

that drone sounds nice, and works really well with the car.... naturally it only drones under load.

gotta get the damn leak fixed though, it throws the entire sound right off now.

what can i use to edit/convert the movies?? Ive not messed with videos before.

Last edited by BigJohnny; 05-30-2009 at 07:55 PM.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 07:48 PM
5th Gear Poster

x2 my bet is you will grow tired of the constant drone while driving around at city type speed.

Mods: The usual stuff... 3.73 Gears, J-mod, catless mandrel 2.5" true duals, Marauder Converter, Eibachs, Xcal2 and Phoenix Gold Audio, chrome 18's, etc. etc..
I joined the dark side...
2002 Mustang GT, FRPP Aluminator with Tork Tech MP112 intercooled S/C at 17PSI, with all the supporting mods.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

naw, at city type speed its actually pretty quiet.

are there any other gains aside from sound enhancement?
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

well I was out tonight, and the roads were a little wet, and I had a nice straight run..... I decided to do a peelout.

and man, she did one like she's never done one before. Not only did it manage to shift through all of the gears, it just kept going and going. I went like 300m before I decided to let up on the gas to get some traction, and I wasn't even flooring it.

now I honestly don't know if this has anything to do with the resonators, but what I do know is that she has never done that before under the same conditions.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:34 AM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Enjoy the drone
Lollers. I learned that one the hard way, too.

Yes, I hate my Lincoln. Ask me about it sometime.

My Drivetribe garbage:
https://drivetribe.com/u/ivrqNaWFWj_...SaGpcKvLTz6v9w

My LarryLand Automotive Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Larry...61642343862942

My Scribd.com garbage: http://www.scribd.com/larry_vanzandt
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Actually, when I think about this, I'm pretty used to it. My dads 92 pickup with the 7.4L 454 in it has work on the exhaust, and this thing is LOUD, it sounds like a really really mean beast, like power begging to tear itself out. His Ram 1500 has Mags, and I've driven around in these vehicles for years......I'm used to the noise
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 08:15 AM
6th Gear Poster

I dont have any mufflers on mine, and dont really notice it that much. I just turn the music up louder. If i cant hear it it doesnt exist.

- 4.8.15.16.23.42 -

"You never even hear it when it happens, do you?"
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

I guess they can't be embedded here?

1996 Mercury Cougar 4.6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2WLoU-8Eso

My Dads Vehicles

2004 Dodge Ram Hemi Flowmasters (sorry I thought they were magnaflows)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xodrrNcDwUw

1992 GMC 3500 Pickup Dual Exhaust
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikQKSOFGaMc

Last edited by BigJohnny; 05-31-2009 at 06:12 PM.
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Videos added now
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
I got tired of the drone and the raspiness at the higher RPMS. I had it about 3 weeks before i took money out of my savings account, bought some borlas and had a custom true dual exhaust made up.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 12:24 AM

just woundering if you left the two mufflers at the frount on? i was under my car today and seen that it has two cats and the what looks like two mufflers and then the two mufflers at the back ?
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 12:40 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 94trouble
Quote:
Originally Posted by theslam19_98 View Post
just woundering if you left the two mufflers at the frount on? i was under my car today and seen that it has two cats and the what looks like two mufflers and then the two mufflers at the back ?
The exhaust system on a 4.6 has two cats up front, A third cat in the middle and then a resonator, and right after the pumpkin it splits off into a Y into two mufflers.

If im reading correctly he just cut off the rear two mufflers and put straight pipes where the mufflers used to be. In my opinion i wouldnt do it, the drone will kill you and it doesnt sound that good, but thats IMO. If your looking for an exhaust for strictly sound i would buy two or three Dynomax Bullets, gut the third cat, remove the resonator, and replace it with one of the Dynomax bullets, cut off the two mufflers at the rear and replace those with the other two dynomax Bullets and have pipes coming out the rear. It will sound better and you dont have to worry about the drone at highway speeds. Or you can keep the stock exhaust and save up for true duals.

Wrecked my 94LX looking to get another car.
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 04:30 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Dynomax catback is another one. Cut off right behind the 3rd cat and bolt it up. We also had an idea... if you take 2 center sections fro the Dynomax catback kit. Extend one just a bit. You may have yourself a cheap stainless Mandrel Bent kit. But that hasn't been proven yet. But I think i'm going to buy a Mandrel Exhaust System and modify it. You can't get a Mandrel Bent Stainless Exhaust for 700 bux around where I live. They all want like 1200 bux. It's retarded.

post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslam19_98 View Post

2 cats, a muffler, and 2 resonators, which affect the sound. Yes I cut off the two rear "mufflers" (which they are not). and it doesn't have 3 cats, that would be pointless. the 3rd one, is a muffler, and is meant to do the job of a muffler. the resonators at the back just adjust and tune the sound further.... theres nothing in them but two pipes with holes in them.......

94trouble. Clearly you didn't read the posts where I mention my dads two trucks having badass exhaust and driving around in them for MANY years..... the drone doesn't kill me. I've gotten used to it as I hear it so frequently. I've always liked it.

The drone is fine, and sounds just fine, it doesn't get weird up in the higher RPM range, when I'm crusing/coasting it barely makes a sound.
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 08:02 AM
Baby Huey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
2 cats, a muffler, and 2 resonators, which affect the sound. Yes I cut off the two rear "mufflers" (which they are not). and it doesn't have 3 cats, that would be pointless. the 3rd one, is a muffler, and is meant to do the job of a muffler.
No, the mn12's have 3 Cats, 1 resonator, and mufflers at the rear.

Jim

1995 Thunderbird LX: Vortech S-Trim(12psi), Forged PI 4.6, T-45, SCT Tune, Eibach Pro-kit, Magnaflow DI/DO Exhaust, 3.73 TL, and 17" Cobras

1995 Thunderbird SC: Bone Stock
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

That MUFFLER you are thinking up front is the 3rd Cat. You have to 2 small cats that meet in into 1 big cat. Then single all the way back to split off to the 2 mufflers. 96's don't have a resonator. And sorry... a 4.6L with a magnaflow sounds NOTHING like a stock 4.6L with the mufflers cut off. To each their own. If you're happy with it that's all that matters.

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 02:23 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
94trouble. Clearly you didn't read the posts where I mention my dads two trucks having badass exhaust and driving around in them for MANY years..... the drone doesn't kill me. I've gotten used to it as I hear it so frequently. I've always liked it

The drone is fine, and sounds just fine, it doesn't get weird up in the higher RPM range, when I'm crusing/coasting it barely makes a sound.
I never said wether the drone affects YOU or not, i said IN MY OPINION i wouldnt do it because the drone may kill you (others looking to cut off their mufflers), like many others agree on this board cut-off mufflers sound like crap, and i agree that it does sound bad. But as long as you like it thats all that matters.

post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

I know it sounds nothing like an actual pro exhaust, clearly, those are designed for a particular sound......I never thought it would sound like something tuned, but what is it about cutting them off that you think sounds so bad?

and why the hell do these cars have 3 cats?? That really doesn't make any sense to me, especially when you look at the 4 O2 sensors that are before and after the first two cats.
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Baby Huey

Quote:
I know it sounds nothing like an actual pro exhaust, clearly, those are designed for a particular sound......I never thought it would sound like something tuned, but what is it about cutting them off that you think sounds so bad?

and why the hell do these cars have 3 cats?? That really doesn't make any sense to me, especially when you look at the 4 O2 sensors that are before and after the first two cats.
If it sounds good to you then its no problem.

Jim

1995 Thunderbird LX: Vortech S-Trim(12psi), Forged PI 4.6, T-45, SCT Tune, Eibach Pro-kit, Magnaflow DI/DO Exhaust, 3.73 TL, and 17" Cobras

1995 Thunderbird SC: Bone Stock
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
It's called emissions control. The third cat is like extra insurance when the first two start degrading. But the first two are the only ones monitored by the computer because they are the most important being that they are so close to the engine and thus get the most heat. If you think these cars are bad, Mustangs (don't know which year range) had 4.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 11:51 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:

as long as it sounds good to you thats all that matters bro. Why i dont like the sound of it isnt important.

post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 03:23 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

exactly but ot me it's just too raspy ricer sounding in the upper RPMs. While idling and low RPM it doesn't sound all that bad. But it quicly looses it's deeper throaty sound mid to high RPM.

post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

I havent noticed much in the higher RPM's I don't drive balls to the wall all the time but I will say, I HATE those damn cars with their coffee can muffler tips, makes them sound like a little engine ready to blow.
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 01:23 AM

man cut mine off tonight and i think it sounds more like a mustang now i love it
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 02:25 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Sure it does

-Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in