Ticking Time Bomb! litterally! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Ticking Time Bomb! litterally!

Okay so i just swapped my 3.8L out for a 5.0L V8 in my 91 cougar. everything went well until i started it up and let it run for about 5 minutes, reving it up a bit then go look under the hood and the CAT's are about 4,000 degrees and bright RED. lol i dont know whats going on. i did just keep the stock exhaust from the v6 that was in the could this be why? what else could cause this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

The only times I have heard of that happening is from clogged cats. I wouldn't leave the stock exhaust on there but it should be good enough to drive it around.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:05 PM
PostWhore

You could have the firing order mixed up or a plug wire loose.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

okay well heres the thing it says 5.0L HO on the motor but when i used the 351/HO firing order it didnt start but when i changed it to the 5.0L firing order it started first try and runs great? i dont get it?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:06 AM
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

Yiour timing might be retarted.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:17 AM
PostWhore

That's a good thought about the timing. That could be it.

How is the car running in general? Can it idle on its own?

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Sig Nazi & Gallery Moderator

Administrator

The wrong firing order will dump fuel that isn't firing and cause the cats to glow.

The correct firing order for a 5.0 HO (302) is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.

TBIRDBRAIN - PRESTON
YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN
4/22/63 - 4/23/14
RIP JOEL BENDER
07/30/1979 - 03/26/2006
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

it didnt run on the HO firing order but when i put it on the regular 5.0 firing order it runs perfect. mind you i had to play with the distributor a bit but other than that its perfect. runs on its own, sounds good at idle and when i rev it up it sounds nice. at first it was sluggish and backfired and popped a little but once i got the timing in the right spot its perfect. it has run in a year because i was rebuilding it so thats normal to backfire and pop a little on the first start right? i think im just going to go buy some aftermarket universal magnaflow cats and see if that helps if not i guess im going to have to try something else
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Stupid question, and don't take this the wrong way, but you are numbering the cylinders the ford way and not the chevy way, right? The cylinder numbers are 1234 down the passenger side and 5678 down the driver's side. Also the rotor spins counterclockwise. I suppose it is possible someone swapped in a cam for a standard output 302 into your engine, but I can't see why anyone would do that, especially since almost all aftermarket roller cams use the 351 firing order, so that you have it running with the firing order supposedly wrong makes me more inclined to believe you put something back together wrong.

One other question, the 3.8 that you pulled out, did it have blown head gaskets by chance? Cause that coolant in the cats can cause them to start glowing now that an engine that is running right is in front of them. Unless that was the case, I think you probably have something messed up with the firing order. In fact, I would say double check everything with the firing order before you mess with the cats, cause it seems highly unlikely that someone swapped a 302SO cam into an HO motor. Unless, I just thought of this, maybe someone just put an HO upper intake onto an SO motor. You know what, maybe pull the valve covers off and turn the engine over just to make sure.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

actually yes the 3.8 had blown head gaskets...lol....and it runs perfect now except for the cat problem....i think im just going to buy some aftermarket universal magnaflow cats and put them on and see what happens...i triple checked the wires and everytrhing and yes i used the ford cylinder numbering..lol...ill keep you guys posted to what happens im going to replace the cats on sat....thanks for the input!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in