New exhaust installed, Dynomax rebate!!! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

New exhaust installed, Dynomax rebate!!!

I was considering the true dual system (discussed in the parts for sale forum) that is available now, but the lack of completeness (no mufflers) and cost stopped me.

I went ahead and got a Dynomax catback again. The $75 Dynomax rebate and having a leftover $50 Summit gift card from Xmas made the decision easier. I originally installed a Dynomax kit on this car 10 years ago, when I first bought it. When the mufflers rotted out 5 years ago, madrussian gave me his slightly used Flowmaster kit, and it has been fine (but loud) for the past 5 years, but it rusted through at the flange joint at the beginning of the Y-pipe. When I took it off, it was barely attached at all. The mid-pipe hanger was barely attached to the pipe, also. I think the mufflers stayed in such good shape because of the paint I put on them after I had installed the system (I didn't want the visual rust I had seen on other Flowmaster kits). So, I have a pair of MN-12 specific mufflers that will probably go to the scrap pile soon (unless someone wants them bad enough).

So, it's a good thing I saved the short pipe that the 96-97's used in place of the resonator. I still had it in my treasures bin. The Flowmaster kit eliminates that pipe or the resonator on the 91-95 V-8 cars.

As usual, the Dynomax kit fits extremely well. Nothing bangs on anything, even if I put my receiver hitch back on. Other than some cleaning that I did while I was under there, and the difficulty in getting the old rusty Flowmaster stuff off, it only took about an hour to install it. I did some prep work beforehand, removing the paper tags from the pipes that came with the kit, cleaning them with prep, and spraying the whole system with hi-temp paint. The welds on the y-pipe, the hangers, and where the stainless tips are welded onto the mufflers are not aluminized, so they would have been rusty in a few days. I also used the stainless band clamps again, instead of u-bolts, except for the one that Summit sent me the wrong size (the 2-1/2" one).

Sounds good, not as loud as the Flowmaster kit, but still a pleasant "adult" rumble. If I want a Mustang sound, I'll buy a Mustang. And as much as I gripe about all the friggin' unmuffled V-twin motorcycles around here, I'd be a hypocrite if I had my car too loud.

97 LX, 4.6, Dynomax catback, Mustang MAF/intake tube and Aviator throttle body, Xcalibrator2 by Lonnie at BOC, 180 t-stat, Super Coupe wheels with 235/60/16's, Kenny Brown strut tower brace, Tokico Blues, Eibach Pro-kit, some strategically placed MN12 Performance polyurethane pieces, '02 Grand Marquis transmission

Submariners do it deeper...

Last edited by terraplane8; 06-12-2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: spelling errors, hate 'em...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Veteran Poster

Lift?

Did you have a lift to use when you installed it? You said it just took about an hour to do it? Wondering what the labor would be if a muffler shop did it?

Sure sound nice (pun intended)....would be nice to see some pictures, though.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I've never figured out how to post pics here, but I can send you some either by PM or regular e-mail in a few days. I'm off work again Wednesday and Thursday, and I should have some time.

Install is a snap with the Dynomax kit. You need jackstands or ramps under the rear, and that's it. It connects to the ball/socket flange at the end of the resonator on 91-95 cars, or the resonator delete pipe that the 96-97 cars have. The hangers are perfect, the routing is perfect. The tips may sit a little close to the bumper cover, but that's easily fixed by trimming the inlet pipe a 1/2" or so, if needed.

The hardest part is usually getting the old system off, and cleaning anything that needs it. Unbolt the rear hangers from the underbody (13 mm), wrestle with the hanger above the differential, and it will come right off. The pipes that come with the kit have paper tags on them, that are a PITA to get off (including the glue). Rubbing alcohol, a scotchbite pad, and some paint prep worked for me. I also got the greasy coating that comes on them off, before I painted them. The welds where the hangers and tips are attached, and where the Y is put together, are not aluminized, so that's where the rust would start.

97 LX, 4.6, Dynomax catback, Mustang MAF/intake tube and Aviator throttle body, Xcalibrator2 by Lonnie at BOC, 180 t-stat, Super Coupe wheels with 235/60/16's, Kenny Brown strut tower brace, Tokico Blues, Eibach Pro-kit, some strategically placed MN12 Performance polyurethane pieces, '02 Grand Marquis transmission

Submariners do it deeper...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Veteran Poster

Thanks you, Sir! Nice, concise reply!

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 11:54 AM
1st Gear Poster

got my dynomax kit installed

my dumba** waited to long to order the kit before the rebate expired!! about $300 shipped form summit had my exhaust guy install it today and eliminate the resonator.. sounds good (mellow) looks good and according to my highly calibrated butt-dyno has more power merging on the hiway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in