Hooker AeroChamber - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
Hooker AeroChamber

...is very nice! Just what I what looking for. Not obnoxious, very throaty on the pedal, quiet idle and cruise.

I made a cat-back system for my car over the weekend. Had a shop bend up the 3" pipe (super single) using the stock exhaust pipe for the pattern. It fit perfectly, I used the stock hanger mounts, and the 3" center In/Out Hooker AeroChamber sits where the stock resonator used to be....and nothing but pipe the rest of the way. Right now it temporarily ends just aft of the pumpkin, and I'll finish up from there to the bumper either this next weekend or the one after.

Got the muffler from Summit ($72 to my door), and the pipe itself + the bending was $50 from a local guy. Installed and welded up by myself = $0 Labor.

Pics to come, hopefully some kind of soundclip too. I'm very pleased with the sound!

Delete my account.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Here's a pic of the assembly; it's lying upside down and I hadn't put the hangers on it yet for this pic. The guy I got the pipe from left extra on the end for me to work with when I get back to it.

Delete my account.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:44 AM
1st Gear Poster

I've always been curious about the Hooker Aerochamber mufflers; I've heard good things about them but never actually heard them. Be sure to make some recordings when you get it on the car.

1994 Thunderbird LX 4.6 Modern Personal Luxury Coupe
1975 Elite 460 Vintage Personal Luxury Coupe
and a few GM products...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:34 AM
3rd Gear Poster

How much louder would u say it is at idle with this muffler as opposed to stock?

I have been wavering between the aerochamber and the maxflow, looking for a nice rumble at idle but not crazy loud
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
Maxflow will be super quiet, Maxflow is designed to be a super quiet muffler.

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyanheart View Post
I've always been curious about the Hooker Aerochamber mufflers; I've heard good things about them but never actually heard them. Be sure to make some recordings when you get it on the car.
I haven't heard anything about them prior. I didn't know a single person using them, so natch I was pretty curious about them as well. Not saying there weren't other choices I liked; there's plenty of good sounding MN12s here. I'll do what I can to get some clips as soon as I can. I don't own a camcorder, and my digicam doesn't do audio on it's little "movie bursts". I'll think of something. But keep in mind that my system isn't complete yet; still need to finish up from pumpkin to bumper. A soundclip @ this point might be somewhat pointless until then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transam396 View Post
How much louder would u say it is at idle with this muffler as opposed to stock? I have been wavering between the aerochamber and the maxflow, looking for a nice rumble at idle but not crazy loud
We have rumble. Not a "look at me" loud, but a bit louder than stock. It certainly doesn't do the "blub blub blub" at idle like a lot of V8 exhaust systems I've heard. It's smooth, deep, very muscular with no annoying (to me) cackles, barks, blubs, blats, etc.

Delete my account.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Thunderbird XX View Post
I haven't heard anything about them prior. I didn't know a single person using them, so natch I was pretty curious about them as well. Not saying there weren't other choices I liked; there's plenty of good sounding MN12s here. I'll do what I can to get some clips as soon as I can. I don't own a camcorder, and my digicam doesn't do audio on it's little "movie bursts". I'll think of something. But keep in mind that my system isn't complete yet; still need to finish up from pumpkin to bumper. A soundclip @ this point might be somewhat pointless until then.

We have rumble. Not a "look at me" loud, but a bit louder than stock. It certainly doesn't do the "blub blub blub" at idle like a lot of V8 exhaust systems I've heard. It's smooth, deep, very muscular with no annoying (to me) cackles, barks, blubs, blats, etc.
I love that blub blub blub at idle

I do get the popping though when I rev it up and it comes down. what is that anyway?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
I do get the popping though when I rev it up and it comes down. what is that anyway?
IIRC, it's something about flow pockets forming when the throttle blade(s) snap shut on an engine returning from higher RPMs....but it's been awhile on those theories so it's a pretty fuzzy guess. lol (I could very well be not even in the same ballpark)

Delete my account.

Last edited by 94 Thunderbird XX; 08-07-2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Memory is fuzzy....just like a peach. ;)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 07:27 PM

throttle blades???
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
throttle blades???
I'm not sure of the nature of your question, BigJohnny.

Are you asking:
A) What are those?
B) Why plural and not singular?
C) Wtf do those have to do with the price of peas in Paraguay? lol
D) Other (please specify)

Delete my account.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 08:09 PM

what are they.... I've never heard of those before, or maybe I just haven't heard that terminology?!

and just what exactly does that have to do with the price of peas in paraguay anyway....hmmmmmm....!!!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
what are they.... I've never heard of those before, or maybe I just haven't heard that terminology?!
I'm guessing you know what they are but never heard of them called that. They're the actual "valve" (or "valves" if you have more than one. ie., a 4 barrel carb has four) located in the throttle body or carb baseplate that controls the throttle; your accelerator pedal controls this directly.

Delete my account.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 02:31 PM

the butterfly.....or butterfly valve. Ya I guess I do know what they are lol.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Isn't dead yet. Haven't found the time to finish it up back to the bumper like I thought I would have, but will keep posted. Should be sooner than later though!

Delete my account.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 12:28 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to 94fastbird
i used to have some on my car, cats were gutted and had a home x pipe, with true duals, and muffles out back it was pretty quite, then i desided to cut of the outlet and weld on some 3 1/2 inch pipe it was alot louder and sounded real good, these mufflers have more of a rumble to them than other mufflers, they dont have the cackel like some other brands, i like them i think that i'm going to use them on my new set up when i built my new motorm i think i'm gonna use a h pipe this time with the kook headers.

Current Mods:
balanced & blueprinted block. by my dad & I @ (The Engine Shop INC.) i'm running manley forged i beam rods, forged manely .020 16cc dish pistons, forged 8 bolt crankshaft thats been polished, corba high volume oil pump, block has been align bored & decked. ported and polished early production heads, heads have been milled, 3 angle valve grind, ported exhaust manifolds, gasket matched intake, dual inlet dual outlet dynomax turbo muffler underseat with 3inch turndowns. transmission heavy duty clutches, b&m shift kit, frrp t lock with 373.
Future Mods:
pi swap with some comp cams and the new trickflow intake, high stall torque converter and mark 8 drive shaft, kooks 3/4 lenth headers and xcal2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in