Which Cat to choose? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Which Cat to choose?

I need to replace my cats, I've been doing some looking and I'm not sure which Cats I should get for my car.

I need to know what size the exhaust pipes are that the cats mount to, but I also need to find 3-way cats because I would like to only run 2 of them, and loose the 3rd.

I was considering the Magnaflow 94004 but I don't know if it's 3-way or not.

Whats a good set of cats and can I get away with running only 2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

so I guess then since no one has said anything, that must be a 3-way cat, and I can use two of those instead of my 3 current ones?!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12-t...st/exhaust.htm

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:41 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
I'm not quite sure, but I believe the converters on our cars are NOT 3-way.

I'm going to be replacing my converters soon, too, but I'm going with the Magnaflow #23343 Direct-Fit y-pipe assembly with mandrel-bent pipes.

Dennis
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:45 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
I stand corrected! I guess our converters ARE 3-way.

Dennis
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

I always forgot about those damn articles....

so is it a 3-way system because of the third cat?? or is each of the 3 cats a 3-way, dealing with all gasses?

basically, can I remove that middle one/third one and pass an E-test, and if yes, will the magnaflow cat I mentioned above be the correct one for this mod/fix?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

so I'm pretty stupid, In my previous rattling thread, someone posted the link to the 94004 cats, however this still doesn't answer the overall question of weather or not that cat is a 3-way and will allow me to delete my 3rd cat and still pass an e-test?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 12:59 PM
6th Gear Poster

Are you planning on keeping the car for a few years yet? Just get an etest done, and then go and mod away. Our etests are good for a year, and you wont need one for two years following the renewal date.

I got mine in April, but my renewal is not until December 09, so i technically dont need another etest until December 2011 !! LOL

You can always change it again down the road if you do in fact fail an etest. Actually, this would probably buy you another two years because you would get a "conditional pass" seeing as the work involved for the replacement of 2 catalytic converters with labour would be well over 450$ from a dealership. So essentially you are buying yourself like 4 years of time without an etest haha.

- 4.8.15.16.23.42 -

"You never even hear it when it happens, do you?"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

seems like ti easier to just get the proper 3-way cat that handles all gasses, drop the third and not worry about it.

biggest reason I want to drop the third one is cost. Why spend the money I don't have, if I don't have to. My next e-test is next year, in aug I think, but I also don't want to have to go back and do more work that can also be avoided by simply doing it right the first time.

If I can drop my third cat and run just these two converters, then that's it the job is done, otherwise I end up having to spend more money on the third one, and/or end up having to go back under there and do more work to put it on later.

now that I'm thinking about it too, will the O2 sensors need to be replaced? I would assume yes it might be a good idea with new cats.

are they all the same sensor??

DENSO Part # 2344610
Wire Length 13.15; # of Wires 4; O.E. Quality Replacement Sensor; Rear
Wire Length 13.15; # of Wires 4; O.E. Quality Replacement Sensor; Front

Last edited by BigJohnny; 09-18-2009 at 10:03 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in