Exhaust setup ideas? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to hotrodseanxx
Exhaust setup ideas?

Ok so I went to a midas and had them look to see where my exhaust leak is coming from. Figures its the right cat leaking and some stuff broke off into the third and is rattling in there. They quoted me $991 for the part and $1300 total.

Well I've been wanting to do up a custom exhaust anyways so here is the idea:
Cut the exhaust off including cats and put on two universal high flow cats and h-pipe after and then two mid mounted super 40 flowmasters then two straight piped the rest of the way out. (All 2.25")

Two questions though, what are good high-flow cats? I found magnaflows for about $63 on summit, but also found a some "high-Flow" cats on ebay, but I don't know if any of those are good or not. Ideas?

Also does anyone know certain shops in NJ around Flemington NJ (central NJ) that will do this job on a 93 3.8 n/a tbird?

Thanks everyone!

-Sean

1993 3.8 LX
cold air intake
Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo shift kit
8.8 T-Lok w/ 4.10s
custom gauge set/custom dash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 08:26 PM
6th Gear Poster

First of all, 1300$ for that repair is completely insane.

I would go to an actual exhaust shop to have them fab something up for you. You should be able to get the entire thing done for like 500$ including the cats... the mufflers will cost you a little more.

I know many people that use those magnaflow cats and they seem to do the job quite well. I had em on my old car and flew through the etest no problem so they do work.

Why dont you just check the yellowpages and see what shops are in your area? call around or go visit a few and get a couple quotes. Just tell them what you want and what you are thinking of spending and im sure someone will be willing to help you out.

Good luck

- 4.8.15.16.23.42 -

"You never even hear it when it happens, do you?"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

unfortunately i did look up exhaust shops and midas is supposedly the only one unless i go out to Trenton which is about 50min ride.
Found one shop that will put everything on if i have it for about $200, but now i'd just need pipes to go from the mid mounted mufflers out the back... anyone know of any pipes that work for our cars for this?

-Sean

1993 3.8 LX
cold air intake
8.8 T-Lok w/ 4.10s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Get the Mandrel Exahust System and do the mod that RichardM did. This is THE way to go for a V6 car.

See this thread for details.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=120195

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

i've been eying that kit, but it looks too close in the middle to mid mount both flowmaster super 40s also i believe the h-pipe is also wider... would these pipes still run back fine if widened out?

-Sean

1993 3.8 LX
cold air intake
8.8 T-Lok w/ 4.10s
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

do you guys think 2.5" would be too big for duals on a 3.8? i was going to do 2.25" but the ebay kit is only 2.5"

-Sean

1993 3.8 LX
cold air intake
8.8 T-Lok w/ 4.10s
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 05:53 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodseanxx View Post
do you guys think 2.5" would be too big for duals on a 3.8? i was going to do 2.25" but the ebay kit is only 2.5"
yes that is too big. I would think you would be ok with 2". Also I had true duals custom made for my 4.6 for 200.00CAD plus the mufflers so under 450.00CAD. 1300.00 is stupid fuked up. They must have been smokin something, go somewhere else.

Mods: The usual stuff... 3.73 Gears, J-mod, catless mandrel 2.5" true duals, Marauder Converter, Eibachs, Xcal2 and Phoenix Gold Audio, chrome 18's, etc. etc..
I joined the dark side...
2002 Mustang GT, FRPP Aluminator with Tork Tech MP112 intercooled S/C at 17PSI, with all the supporting mods.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

yeah thats what i figured, the 1300 was for a direct fit cat system plus install the part itself is "aparently" 991 ... yeah right i found a magna flow direct fit 3 cat system for under 400... just trying to find a exhaust shop around here, not having the best of luck

-Sean

1993 3.8 LX
cold air intake
8.8 T-Lok w/ 4.10s
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 10:28 PM
PostWhore

Stock replacement cats and piping is like under $400 everywhere I have looked. $1300......... that shop should be out of buisness for trying to charge that. Leave it to a NJ shop to try to charge that..........

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

oh yeah defiantly and on top of that when i said well I'd rather do a custom setup instead anyway how much would it be? they're like well maybe like $600 so I said to the kid ok well I would want to do that instead anyways specially since it's cheap, I had to argue with this kid that $600 was cheaper than $1300 and it would even be a better exhaust system... finally i saw it going no where so I said thank you and I'll be giving you a call and left

-Sean

1993 3.8 LX
cold air intake
8.8 T-Lok w/ 4.10s
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

found one place that wanted $800 to do two down pipes and two ys with the mufflers in the back... so basically a Y to single to Y to duals... he said 2.25" true duals would be too big for the 3.8 so wanted to keep the single pipe in the middle,
I found another shop that will do the true duals with highflow cats and cutouts for around $500...
Does anyone really think 2.25" true duals will be way too much? the first shop basically said there would be a major power drop

-Sean

1993 3.8 LX
cold air intake
8.8 T-Lok w/ 4.10s
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
the decreased exhaust velocity will likely cause a loss of torque at low RPMs (less than 5000 lol)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

with 4.10 gears, ud pullies, and beefed trans w/ shift kit, otherwise stock would the loss of torque be noticeable?

-Sean

1993 3.8 LX
cold air intake
8.8 T-Lok w/ 4.10s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in