"Original" replacement performance exhaust - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

"Original" replacement performance exhaust

I'm seriously considering replacing my stock exhaust with the following for performance and cost-effectiveness:

mandrelexhaustsystems.com true dual exhaust piping:
link: http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...-TUBING/Detail
Dynomax 17553 X-Pipe Muffler:
link: http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU
Stock headers and front cats (since they're brand new)
Resonator and rear mufflers removed

I was originally just going to go with a di/do muffler like the Magnaflow 12568, but didn't like the packing between the two pipes, so I looked for a tru-x muffler. And if I got headers, definately Kooks, but at the price, I'll wait on those.

What do y'all think?

Last edited by NetKeym; 11-13-2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Added links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

That mandrel bent system has been discussed on here many times at great length. Do a search and you'll read all about it.

95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
K&N cold air intake. True 2 1/4" duals, Xenon GFX. 3:55 Trac loc. Beefier trans, 2800 stall convertor, MkV111 aluminum driveshaft.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckcreekbilly View Post
That mandrel bent system has been discussed on here many times at great length. Do a search and you'll read all about it.
I have, that's why I'm getting it. So I'm assuming you're saying that's a good choice, right?

I was more looking for opinions on that x-pipe muffler..... But of course, the whole system put together that way. If anybody has it, the likes, dislikes, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Poster

I'm going to use x pipe muffler with a custom built exhaust. Suppose to start on it tuesday.

1991 5.0 14 Deg timing on 87 gas AOD
Looking for, shifter
1995 Lightning
2005 vtx 1800r spec 3

http://www.robstireandauto.com/
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by white95s View Post
I'm going to use x pipe muffler with a custom built exhaust. Suppose to start on it tuesday.
You gonna use 2.5"? What are you doing up front? Using stock headers & cats? Then behind the x-pipe muffler, going dual pipe out the back?

Please let us know how it sounds and if you're happy with it! I know I'll let you all know when I finally do something myself...
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckcreekbilly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
I have, that's why I'm getting it. So I'm assuming you're saying that's a good choice, right?

I was more looking for opinions on that x-pipe muffler..... But of course, the whole system put together that way. If anybody has it, the likes, dislikes, etc.
What Buckcreekbilly is saying is that this thread is a Here is the original thread where we've talked about this system at length there's a lot of good info here and pictures of various installs of this system. I just added pictures of my system installed with Kooks headers.

I have an magnaflow X-pipe that I bought to use as an alternate to the Manderel Exhaust X-pipe that comes with this system. I didn't use it and will be selling it shortly if you're interested.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 11-14-2009 at 08:41 AM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
What Buckcreekbilly is saying is that this thread is a Here is the original thread where we've talked about this system at length there's a lot of good info here and pictures of various installs of this system. I just added pictures of my system installed with Kooks headers.

I have an magnaflow X-pipe that I bought to use as an alternate to the Manderel Exhaust X-pipe that comes with this system. I didn't use it and will be selling it shortly if you're interested.
Thanks Trunk Monkey! I missed that thread since it was under "marketplace", and yes I used search. I actually got the mandrelexhaustsystems website info from your post. Nice exhaust on yours, BTW. But TONS of great info and pictures in that thread. Now I know these guys are in Florida that's means I'll have to pay tax...lol

I found a youtube video of a 4.6 Cougar with that x-pipe muffler installed and it sounds good to me! Only difference is he said his cats are gone and his engine is a DOHC (I question that part). But whatever, it sounds nice, here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wjIhNoyuHY

What part # is your Magnaflow and what do you want for it? The video is your muffler in action I believe. The video says it part #12468.
Thanks again for all the great info!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 05:14 PM

does anyone know where that company is located (Mandrel exhausts) or where their stuff is shipped from? can't seem to find any info on the site about it.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Florida I do believe J

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
does anyone know where that company is located (Mandrel exhausts) or where their stuff is shipped from? can't seem to find any info on the site about it.
Miami, Florida
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
You gonna use 2.5"? What are you doing up front? Using stock headers & cats? Then behind the x-pipe muffler, going dual pipe out the back?

Please let us know how it sounds and if you're happy with it! I know I'll let you all know when I finally do something myself...
Yes 2.5. leaving front cats for now. no rear mufflers. I'll take pic's. I,ve never posted a vid before but I'll try to get some sound!

Looking for, shifter
1995 Lightning
2005 vtx 1800r spec 3

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 09:41 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Trunk Monkey! I missed that thread since it was under "marketplace", and yes I used search. I actually got the mandrelexhaustsystems website info from your post. Nice exhaust on yours, BTW. But TONS of great info and pictures in that thread. Now I know these guys are in Florida that's means I'll have to pay tax...lol

I found a YouTube video of a 4.6 Cougar with that x-pipe muffler installed and it sounds good to me! Only difference is he said his cats are gone and his engine is a DOHC (I question that part). But whatever, it sounds nice, here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wjIhNoyuHY

What part # is your Magnaflow and what do you want for it? The video is your muffler in action I believe. The video says it part #12468.
Thanks again for all the great info!
You're welcome for the link and thank you for the compliment.

The mid-mounted Magnaflow muffler with internal X-pipe in the linked video is a different unit than the X-pipe that I have.

The Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe that I have is a 2.5" version that I got from autoanything Part #10791. I did not use this X-pipe on my car and used the X-pipe that came with the Mandrel Exhaust System that I bought for the car.

They list for $83.78 with free shipping at Autoanything. I haven't decided on my asking price yet.

The mufflers that I have on my car are Borla Pro XS, 2.5" Offset in / Center out, Borla Part #40358

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 05:45 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to SignofTheCat94 Send a message via Yahoo to SignofTheCat94
Quote:
I'm seriously considering replacing my stock exhaust with the following for performance and cost-effectiveness:

mandrelexhaustsystems.com true dual exhaust piping:
link: http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...-TUBING/Detail
Dynomax 17553 X-Pipe Muffler:
link: http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU
Stock headers and front cats (since they're brand new)
Resonator and rear mufflers removed

I was originally just going to go with a di/do muffler like the Magnaflow 12568, but didn't like the packing between the two pipes, so I looked for a tru-x muffler. And if I got headers, definately Kooks, but at the price, I'll wait on those.

What do y'all think?

I know it's been discussed to great lengths, but for what it's worth, I have the Car Sound cat kit (magnaflow cats, third cat removed on 2.5 pipe), Hedman extenders (Summit), Magnaflow DIDO X Pipe muffler (smallest one available in polished SS 2.5"; I forget the part number) and the Mandrelbentexhaustsystems.com rear kit capped with Summit SS tips. Looks and sounds great. I was debating between the Magnaflow and Dynomax mufflers myself, but the Magnaflow won out just out of brand preference. It's a pretty easy system to put together; the only part that takes some tweaking is the offsets from the front cats to the DIDO muffler.

Mods? Do the ones in the garage waiting to go on the car count?

Many thanks to my fellow Veterans; I am honored to be a part of your ranks.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignofTheCat94 View Post
I know it's been discussed to great lengths, but for what it's worth, I have the Car Sound cat kit (magnaflow cats, third cat removed on 2.5 pipe), Hedman extenders (Summit), Magnaflow DIDO X Pipe muffler (smallest one available in polished SS 2.5"; I forget the part number) and the Mandrelbentexhaustsystems.com rear kit capped with Summit SS tips. Looks and sounds great. I was debating between the Magnaflow and Dynomax mufflers myself, but the Magnaflow won out just out of brand preference. It's a pretty easy system to put together; the only part that takes some tweaking is the offsets from the front cats to the DIDO muffler.
Thanks SignofTheCat94! Yeh, I'm leaning toward the Magnaflow 12468, it's almost 2" narrower than the Dynomax 17553, I (as you) like the brand, and it's $20 cheaper! I guess it's a no-brainer, huh?
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 08:18 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to SignofTheCat94 Send a message via Yahoo to SignofTheCat94
For me it was; but I'd never take anything away from Dynomax either! I can find my receipt from Summit for those header extenders if you want the part number; they're under $30 and the offsets make it really easy to bolt up the system. I did mine modular using 3 bolt flanges between the cats to muffler section and again between the muffler to rear pipes section.

Mods? Do the ones in the garage waiting to go on the car count?

Many thanks to my fellow Veterans; I am honored to be a part of your ranks.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 07:33 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Yes 2.5. leaving front cats for now. no rear mufflers. I'll take pic's. I,ve never posted a vid before but I'll try to get some sound!
Just finished exhaust without cats. DROWN at 55 too LOUD for me. With cats was a little drown but a raspey sound like a v6 sports car. Now it sounds like a mustang I had with first flowmasters an no cats 10 years ago! I put 3.5 tips. I'll get some pics a soon as I can.

Looking for, shifter
1995 Lightning
2005 vtx 1800r spec 3

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

What Muffler?

Quote:
Just finished exhaust without cats. DROWN at 55 too LOUD for me. With cats was a little drown but a raspey sound like a v6 sports car. Now it sounds like a mustang I had with first flowmasters an no cats 10 years ago! I put 3.5 tips. I'll get some pics a soon as I can.
What X-pipe muffler did you use? You're the second person I've heard with this setup that turned out unhappy with it. Makes me reconsider my original thoughts. Thanks for the feedback and Happy Holidays!
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 08:37 AM
1st Gear Poster

dymomax!

Looking for, shifter
1995 Lightning
2005 vtx 1800r spec 3

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Voice/Data Guru

Quote:
dymomax!
X2 very pleased with my Dymomax Super Turbos

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChecken View Post
X2 very pleased with my Dymomax Super Turbos
i think i should have used them!

Looking for, shifter
1995 Lightning
2005 vtx 1800r spec 3

post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 03:07 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Oh no, no.

Borla PRO XP's For the win!

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Two mufflers vs one muffler

white95s & Thunderchecken, I was talkin' just one X-pipe internal di/do muffler and eliminate the two rear mufflers. Is that what you two are saying, or do you have the two rear mufflers? Trunk Monkey, yes I realize the Borla's are the cat's meow (pun intended)! lol

I was considering that setup for sound, less restriction, and weigh savings. I'm going to try true duals with just the one x-pipe type muffler (a bigger one like Magnaflow 12568 11"x22" or Dynomax 17553 10"x20" as opposed to a smaller one like Magnaflow 12468 8"x18") with just the two pipes out back and see how it sounds. If I think it's too loud, I'll just stick the two on the back on!

Thanks for all your inputs! Happy Holidays!!!
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 08:19 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I have the x-pipe with highflow cats in it from that manderal exhaust system site as well as the tubing kit with now mufflers on the ends just a 8 inch extension and 24" angle cut chrome tips exiting the rear sounds MEAN!!! ill try and get a video for you guys if you hear it you will want it

My Lug Nuts Require More Torque Than Your Honda Makes
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Veteran Poster

SLP LoudMouth 1's for me......:grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFpLEqHZWuY

1997 Laser Red Thunderbird LX V8, grey cloth, third cat replaced with X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1's, 2.25" duals, (loud as all hell)
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
I have Magnaflow with tru-x core muffler midmounted, no cats and a single 3" tail pipe. All with compression bends. I get compliments on how it sounds all the time. I have never experienced a dynomax, but I hear good things since it is a straight-through design, like magnaflow.
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Video of my sound with the hi flow cats, X pipe ,and dymomax

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
white95s & Thunderchecken, I was talkin' just one X-pipe internal di/do muffler and eliminate the two rear mufflers. Is that what you two are saying, or do you have the two rear mufflers? Trunk Monkey, yes I realize the Borla's are the cat's meow (pun intended)! lol

I was considering that setup for sound, less restriction, and weigh savings. I'm going to try true duals with just the one x-pipe type muffler (a bigger one like Magnaflow 12568 11"x22" or Dynomax 17553 10"x20" as opposed to a smaller one like Magnaflow 12468 8"x18") with just the two pipes out back and see how it sounds. If I think it's too loud, I'll just stick the two on the back on!

Thanks for all your inputs! Happy Holidays!!!
di/do X dynomax (2.5 in and out don't rember parts#) muffler only were the 3rd cat and resinator was !!! true duals 2.5, no cats !!! I am going to put two in rear to control the drone !!!! I HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking for, shifter
1995 Lightning
2005 vtx 1800r spec 3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in