Exhaust leaks at Magnaflow cat inlets - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Exhaust leaks at Magnaflow cat inlets

Hi everyone,

My old cats were plugged up so I replaced them with a Magnaflow set (one assembly with all 3 cats).

The Magnaflow cats did not fit very well on the exhaust manifold (their alignment is off a bit).

Now I have exhaust leaks between the manifolds and cat inlets and the CEL is on with P0171 and P0174 (lean on both banks). I'm pretty sure the codes are a result of the exhaust leaks.

The Magnaflow cats didn't come with any gaskets, and there weren't any gaskets between the original cats and manifolds. Should there be?

If not, what is the best way to fix the leaks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 12:46 AM

No gaskets there. An exhaust shop should be able to adjust it proper. Heating up the pipes with a torch allows them to bend a little.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 02:19 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
do you have stock manifolds or aftermarket shortys?

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by master486 View Post
No gaskets there. An exhaust shop should be able to adjust it proper. Heating up the pipes with a torch allows them to bend a little.
I second master486, any muffler shop will straigten that out for you cheap or even free. For a $300 plus setup, you'd think it would bolt up fine, right?

Happy Holidays!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo 281 View Post
do you have stock manifolds or aftermarket shortys?
Stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
I second master486, any muffler shop will straigten that out for you cheap or even free. For a $300 plus setup, you'd think it would bolt up fine, right?

Happy Holidays!
I wish they had designed this part with flex tubing. The angles and positions of the 2 front cats have to be perfect fort a leak free fit (but they arent). In addition, the hangers are slightly off.

I'm going to see if I can adjust the hangers and force the thing to fit.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettbolt View Post
Stock.

I wish they had designed this part with flex tubing. The angles and positions of the 2 front cats have to be perfect fort a leak free fit (but they arent). In addition, the hangers are slightly off.

I'm going to see if I can adjust the hangers and force the thing to fit.
I had mine replaced at a local shop for $200 and they cut the old cats off and welded new ones right in (the two front ones, I just drilled holes with a 2.5 foot long 3/4 inch bit in the third one). The two they welded are actually a little lower and further back than the originals. I'm guessing they probably did that because they had a hard time getting the replacement cats in the same locations from the clearance issues you mentioned.

You know, before I talked to the local exhust shop I was gonna buy that exact same pipe you bought. Good luck with your setup! If I was closer, I'd come help you get it to fit up good! Umm, where are you exactly? I'm on the Gulf of Mexico in Florida!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
I had mine replaced at a local shop for $200 and they cut the old cats off and welded new ones right in (the two front ones, I just drilled holes with a 2.5 foot long 3/4 inch bit in the third one). The two they welded are actually a little lower and further back than the originals. I'm guessing they probably did that because they had a hard time getting the replacement cats in the same locations from the clearance issues you mentioned.

You know, before I talked to the local exhust shop I was gonna buy that exact same pipe you bought. Good luck with your setup! If I was closer, I'd come help you get it to fit up good! Umm, where are you exactly? I'm on the Gulf of Mexico in Florida!
I'm in California -- but I really appreciate the offer to help. Catalytic converters are extremely expensive here because they have to meet stricter emissions specifications.

I just spent 2 hours underneath the car this afternoon trying to get it to fit. The driver side tube is about 1 inch longer than it should be. I concluded that its an impossible job without cutting and welding.

The muffler shop owners around here charge a fortune for their work. Looks like I have no choice.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

CA emissions

Yeh, I lived out there for a year and I could never get my car to pass the stricter emissions, I had to keep re-registering the Florida tags. Your other options are other companies that make that pipe with the three converters to pass your emissions. Eastern and Walker I know make them and there is a couple other companies, I just can't remember them.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, I know what a PITA CA emissions are.

Good luck!!!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I could have easily solved this problem by going to my local junkyard (Pic-n-Pull) and getting a stock set of cats. Unfortunately, in California its illegal for junkyards to sell catalytic converters.

I really wish Magnaflow would do some better quality control and actually try fitting one of their Y converter assemblies to a real car.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

a quality exhaust shop will have "goop"

they sell a sealant for exhaust systems that go between the manifold and the cats. my exhaust guy used it any time we had to put the downtubes on, because of the exact angle needed, imperfections in the metal, etc..

I bust ARP bolts by hand...

If Guns kill people, then...
...pencils miss spel werds
...cars make people drive drunk
...spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
~Gun Owners of America
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Even 'goop' sealant would not work. The pipe on one side is about 1 inch too long. Also, the angles where the pipes attach to the manifold are different than the stock cats. Magnaflow really fouled up when they made them.

I finally gave up and put my old stock catalytic converters back on. The rear cat was plugged so I cut the rear case open with a hacksaw (took a while), removed all the catalytic material, and then my welded the rear case back together.

The car works fine now, but I'll probably have to replace the rear cat before the next smog test. Or maybe it will pass with just the front 2?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 02:46 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to KorpseofDeath
Quote:
Even 'goop' sealant would not work. The pipe on one side is about 1 inch too long. Also, the angles where the pipes attach to the manifold are different than the stock cats. Magnaflow really fouled up when they made them.

I finally gave up and put my old stock catalytic converters back on. The rear cat was plugged so I cut the rear case open with a hacksaw (took a while), removed all the catalytic material, and then my welded the rear case back together.

The car works fine now, but I'll probably have to replace the rear cat before the next smog test. Or maybe it will pass with just the front 2?
Hey, i'm in CA, and I have only two cats, (3rd/resonator and muffler's deleted). When I smogged, I passed with flying colors with the stock 2 cats at 137,xxx miles. That was this January. My car is also very low to the ground, if you lay down on the ground, you can hardly see my pipes or anything under the car, so I also didn't have to deal with the "VISUAL" inspection of the third pipe. But also my smogger was the local corner gas station place, where I am now good friends with him..

~1997 TBIRD 4.6L LX SPORT ~ Xenon Kit ~ 149K Miles ~ K&N ~ JMOD ~ Daily Driver
~1991 TBIRD 5.0L HO ~ Completely Stock ~
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Chapter Director Coordinator

most of the places wont know there was a third cat, especially if they see the first two.

you shouldnt have any problems, unless they go total Kalifornia on ya and complain about aftermarket pipes

I bust ARP bolts by hand...

If Guns kill people, then...
...pencils miss spel werds
...cars make people drive drunk
...spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
~Gun Owners of America
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Voice/Data Guru

Know problem here in PA with the 3rd cat gone Passed with flying colors , In fact the guy doing the inspecting tried his best to buy my bird

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorpseofDeath View Post
Hey, i'm in CA, and I have only two cats, (3rd/resonator and muffler's deleted). When I smogged, I passed with flying colors with the stock 2 cats at 137,xxx miles. That was this January. My car is also very low to the ground, if you lay down on the ground, you can hardly see my pipes or anything under the car, so I also didn't have to deal with the "VISUAL" inspection of the third pipe. But also my smogger was the local corner gas station place, where I am now good friends with him..
Its great to hear that it will probably pass smog without the rear cat.

The case that used to contain the rear cat is still there (but its empty inside). Unless you look close and see the weld seam, you cant tell that anything has been done to it.

Now the question is what to do with the new Magnaflow cat assembly that doesn't fit? I bought it at autopartswarehouse.com and I've read in some reviews that it is a major hassle getting a refund from them (could take months).
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 06:32 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Catalytic converters are extremely expensive here because they have to meet stricter emissions specifications.
It's mostly because they have to pay huge fees in order to be allowed to sell them here. For the most part they already meet the standards, just most of them wont pay to sell in CA legally. CARB = failure. Good luck man. I'm probably going to have to replace mine soon also.

-Josh
My Car Domain

"It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy
to deprive a man of his natural liberty
upon the supposition that he may abuse it."
-George Washington
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Still have a problem

I thought everything was fixed. But now the CEL is on with a P0171 and P0174 (system too lean on both banks).

I have cleaned the MAF sensor and that didn't help.

Before I worked on the cats, I changed the intake manifold because the old plastic one was cracked. I was very careful and used a torque wrench to the recommended tightness, and the rubber o-rings looked like they would make a good seal.

I'll try using propane to look for a vacuum leak.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 01:40 PM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Brett, I bought the same Magnaflow unit for my 6. I've had no problems. Try contacting Magnaflow customer service. They may be able to help, otherwise, put it up for sale in the Marketplace forum.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to byrd_of_thunder Send a message via MSN to byrd_of_thunder Send a message via Yahoo to byrd_of_thunder
I just installed a Catco y-pipe assembly, comparable to the magnaflow unit but cheaper. I'm also having alignment issues, though all the lengths are correct. it seems as tho the problem is minor alignment, but just enough to cause leaks at the flanges. also there seems to be smoke coming from the O2 sensors which i wasn't able to replace yet. maybe a coating of anti seize will stop those leaks until i can replace them? i've got the flanges as tight as they'll go but they're still leaking and white smoke is billowing out from the tail pipes. is this all normal?

Nick
Byrd_of_Thunder
-------------------------------------
2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback

**1997 Ford Thunderbird LX - RIP**
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 03:28 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
I'm in California -- but I really appreciate the offer to help. Catalytic converters are extremely expensive here because they have to meet stricter emissions specifications.

I just spent 2 hours underneath the car this afternoon trying to get it to fit. The driver side tube is about 1 inch longer than it should be. I concluded that its an impossible job without cutting and welding.

The muffler shop owners around here charge a fortune for their work. Looks like I have no choice.
Try San Pedro muffler
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 06:19 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Like some of the guys said, a torch and large pliers will do wonders on bending metal. I've been there with all the custom exhausts over the years. Good luck, Brian.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in