ehxaust ? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to 94fastbird
ehxaust ?

i got to reviewing some pictures, it looks possible to run dual 3inch piping through the tank area. could this be done? would it need to be peiced in? is the mark 8 93- 95 tank the same deisgn as our fuel tank or is the exhaust routing alittle better?

Current Mods:
balanced & blueprinted block. by my dad & I @ (The Engine Shop INC.) i'm running manley forged i beam rods, forged manely .020 16cc dish pistons, forged 8 bolt crankshaft thats been polished, corba high volume oil pump, block has been align bored & decked. ported and polished early production heads, heads have been milled, 3 angle valve grind, ported exhaust manifolds, gasket matched intake, dual inlet dual outlet dynomax turbo muffler underseat with 3inch turndowns. transmission heavy duty clutches, b&m shift kit, frrp t lock with 373.
Future Mods:
pi swap with some comp cams and the new trickflow intake, high stall torque converter and mark 8 drive shaft, kooks 3/4 lenth headers and xcal2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
You know it is possible to have too large of an exhaust...

http://www.magnaflow.com/wideopen/performdata.asp

It is best to build the exhaust to match the engine:

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 12:57 PM
6th Gear Poster

What type of build are you doing . . . what power are you anticipating?

United States Navy - Honorable Discharge

Nashville Predators - ENOUGH SAID!

See what we've been up to:
http://forums.tccoa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95

Last edited by cougar_fan; 12-29-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

the motor that i'm building right now for this is a 5.1 stroker, with a tork tech on top of it, thinking bout runing 10 -12 lbs of boost.

Current Mods:
balanced & blueprinted block. by my dad & I @ (The Engine Shop INC.) i'm running manley forged i beam rods, forged manely .020 16cc dish pistons, forged 8 bolt crankshaft thats been polished, corba high volume oil pump, block has been align bored & decked. ported and polished early production heads, heads have been milled, 3 angle valve grind, ported exhaust manifolds, gasket matched intake, dual inlet dual outlet dynomax turbo muffler underseat with 3inch turndowns. transmission heavy duty clutches, b&m shift kit, frrp t lock with 373.
Future Mods:
pi swap with some comp cams and the new trickflow intake, high stall torque converter and mark 8 drive shaft, kooks 3/4 lenth headers and xcal2
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

i'm just trying to come up with the exhaust side what would yeild the best performance level for this set up. and least restriction. i was also going across the idea of kooks 1 3/4 primarys with 3'' collectors dual to a single 3 1/2'' threw the tank area back to dual 3''. i know some stepped headers will yield the best gain.

Current Mods:
Future Mods:
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

my power level i'm looking for is around 500 hp. would 2 1/2'' duals be pushing it?

Current Mods:
Future Mods:
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 03:25 PM
6th Gear Poster

according to that chart the 2.25" true dual on my LSC is too big?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 04:27 PM
PostWhore

That chart is not even close to accurate.

1995 T-bird 4.6l - Eibach lowering springs, Cobra R hood, One 12" sub woofer, Alpine type-R front speakers. 16.249 @85.11mph 1/4 mile
2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - Cam, headers, HPtuned by me.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_viny View Post
That's what I was thinking. Where did that graph come from?

Even the chart on the linked Magnaflow page doesn't agree with that graph.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Let's end this BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_viny View Post
Thank you! The basis to those charts is very old. The only time a freer exhaust hurts a cars performance is when the restriction (restrictive exhaust, intake, throttle body, etc.) is covering up another problem (usually cam, head, fuel, etc shortfalls). I know racers that do run different custom cams when the "have" to run racing mufflers (5") because of track rules. I also understand they are racing classes won/lost by .01's. In the early 70's I used to add extensions ranging from 6" to 16" to my Super Comps on my Duster because I was getting too deep in the rounds or the weather was changing to fast (Michigan) to change jets between rounds (hence adding restriction to cover another issue).

This same thought process (adding to old "carb" philosophy) is what makes these boards covered with advice about "throttle body size being to big". All funny. Our cars add fuel at the port and the computer couldn't care two cents about the size of the throttle body until it is TOO small.

Again David, thanks for saying it.

Brad

93 5.0 Thunderbird LX - Suspension rebuilt - poly , Solid rubber mm's, Tokico Blues, SCPP 3.5" CAI, True Duals (Pypes Bullits MVR200RA, Magnaflow Resonators 14416), FRPP case & 3.73 gears, Dynatech MMC driveshaft, Walbro 255lph, 3G 130 amp Alt, MAC 1 5/8" Long Tubes, Tru Cool (28k), Cervini hood, LC-1, QH, '95 Cobra J4J1 PCM, 88mm VMP Slot Blade MAF, '97 TBird Electric Fan, PBR calipers, 24lb EV6 Bosch 4 Jet Injectors

[email protected] (engine/trans is stock)

To Be Installed: WRGearset (FRPP) AOD w/Art Carr VB (transbrake/electric OD_non-lockup), Ultimate Converter Concepts 9.5" 4100, Hurst V-Matic 2, Camshaft Innovations "Custom" cam & "TEA" prepped TW 190 FAC by Jay Allen, Holley Systemax II, 75mm TB, 275/50/15 MT D/R's,
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 07:11 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
The source for the graph was http://www.koracing.net/ (I simply googled images for an exhaust size graph and didn't do a lot of digging.)

However, if you are going to disagree with something, please post definitive evidence/proof. I listed two quick sources both indicating the same thing.

And here are a couple other ones:
http://www.autolounge.net/calculator...ustsizing.html
http://www.mk5cortinaestate.co.uk/calculator5.php

If someone will post some sources backing up their statements, I'll more than gladly agree and change my stance.

I hear all the time statements made about exhaust sizing. It ranks up there with carburetor sizing. You know, "an 850 double pumper on that thar stock small block chebby will give more power that a 650 vac secondary… I know that for a fact cuz Joe Billy Bob did that and he swore his 75 Camaro was faster!!!"

I will still stand by my statement that dual 3" exhaust is too big for his application, based on the limited information provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
according to that chart the 2.25" true dual on my LSC is too big?
Considering the stock LSC dual exhaust is 2" (behind the third cat), I wouldn't say "too big", but rather say: dual 2.25" is larger than needed and bottom end torque might suffer suffer (assuming bone stock engine). But it all depends on where you want power; bottom end, top end, or the whole power band.

Exhaust sizing is defined by engine volume/displacement, engine rpm, camshaft design, expected power band, and the intended application (to name just a few). A boosted 5.1 cu in modular engine that is a street beast will have a different exhaust requirement than a boosted 5.1 cu in modular engine that is strictly a drag race vehicle. And even with all the information, it still often requires trial and error for a perfectly tuned exhaust sytem.

But just my .02.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine

Last edited by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L; 12-30-2009 at 07:16 AM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L View Post
The source for the graph was http://www.koracing.net/

"(I simply googled images for an exhaust size graph and didn't do a lot of digging.)" This is a the most important part of your statements here. Technology is changing dramatically. The internet is an excellent source for all "old and new".

However, if you are going to disagree with something, please post definitive evidence/proof. I listed two quick sources both indicating the same thing.

And here are a couple other ones:
http://www.autolounge.net/calculator...ustsizing.html
http://www.mk5cortinaestate.co.uk/calculator5.php

If someone will post some sources backing up their statements, I'll more than gladly agree and change my stance.

I hear all the time statements made about exhaust sizing. It ranks up there with carburetor sizing. You know, "an 850 double pumper on that thar stock small block chebby will give more power that a 650 vac secondary… I know that for a fact cuz Joe Billy Bob did that and he swore his 75 Camaro was faster!!!"

I will still stand by my statement that dual 3" exhaust is too big for his application, based on the limited information provided.

Considering the stock LSC dual exhaust is 2" (behind the third cat), I wouldn't say "too big", but rather say: dual 2.25" is larger than needed and bottom end torque might suffer suffer (assuming bone stock engine). But it all depends on where you want power; bottom end, top end, or the whole power band.

I did not think this discussion was about a "bone stock engine". Stock exhaust systems are intended to work in a wide range of driving conditions and generally are not very efficient. Car manufacturers compromise performance for other considerations, such as ease of production and cost.

Exhaust sizing is defined by engine volume/displacement, engine rpm, camshaft design, expected power band, and the intended application (to name just a few). A boosted 5.1 cu in modular engine that is a street beast will have a different exhaust requirement than a boosted 5.1 cu in modular engine that is strictly a drag race vehicle. And even with all the information, it still often requires trial and error for a perfectly tuned exhaust sytem.

I agree (perfectly tuned not possible on a TBird anyways). All charts I have found have refered to minimum sizing required and there are a large number of variances in these charts and graphs. One can find sources to support just about any opinion. Your sourced graph disagrees with the chart from the very same manufacturer.

But just my .02.
(no comment)

Most charts agree that up to 400hp (flywheel) 2.5" is sufficient. Any good exhaust designer will also tell you though that every bend in that pipe is restrictive (physics) effectively reducing the flow and therefore the effective size of that pipe. Our cars have "many" bends unless you remove the belly tank and go to a tank in the trunk. With that in mind if he is looking at 400hp + installing a 3" exhaust would be prudent, even according to the one site you sourced. Here is another site that quotes Flowmaster:

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/tech...ce_exhaust.php

Since "pulse tuning" through a TBird exhaust system is out of the question allowing the least restrictive is our only option. Scavenging by other than the header design is a moot point. I totally agree with header pipe size being important for scavenging but through a closed system with 10 bends in it the "scavenging" ends at the collector. All in exhaust work is a compromise.

93 5.0 Thunderbird LX - Suspension rebuilt - poly , Solid rubber mm's, Tokico Blues, SCPP 3.5" CAI, True Duals (Pypes Bullits MVR200RA, Magnaflow Resonators 14416), FRPP case & 3.73 gears, Dynatech MMC driveshaft, Walbro 255lph, 3G 130 amp Alt, MAC 1 5/8" Long Tubes, Tru Cool (28k), Cervini hood, LC-1, QH, '95 Cobra J4J1 PCM, 88mm VMP Slot Blade MAF, '97 TBird Electric Fan, PBR calipers, 24lb EV6 Bosch 4 Jet Injectors

To Be Installed: WRGearset (FRPP) AOD w/Art Carr VB (transbrake/electric OD_non-lockup), Ultimate Converter Concepts 9.5" 4100, Hurst V-Matic 2, Camshaft Innovations "Custom" cam & "TEA" prepped TW 190 FAC by Jay Allen, Holley Systemax II, 75mm TB, 275/50/15 MT D/R's,
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94fastbird View Post
i got to reviewing some pictures, it looks possible to run dual 3inch piping through the tank area. could this be done? would it need to be peiced in? is the mark 8 93- 95 tank the same deisgn as our fuel tank or is the exhaust routing alittle better?
To answer this question, the exhaust man that did mine (2.5") has done at least one in my area with 3" pipes. He said he spot welded the pipes together, used a break right after the 90* turn into the area from the muffler (did mine that way also, works great, you can drop the system in sections). I believe him as my pipes run perfectly along side each other with no rattles so he is an artist with a pipe bender. He did say he used foil backed insulation pads in key places. Looking at mine I can see it being possible. Make sure you get references to any exhaust guru you are going to use. Have seen some real horror stories on here.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 01:09 PM
PostWhore

The stock Z06 runs dual 3" pipes all the way through and has 505hp. That graph says to use ~1.75" pipes...

If the 3" pipes wont fit in there, though it sounds like it can be done, a 3.5-4" single might fit in there better.

1995 T-bird 4.6l - Eibach lowering springs, Cobra R hood, One 12" sub woofer, Alpine type-R front speakers. 16.249 @85.11mph 1/4 mile
2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - Cam, headers, HPtuned by me.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:34 PM
TGJ
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada

Dual 3" Exhaust fits. There are members on this board that have this size of exhaust. I am not mentioning names, search is your friend. The one thing I will say, you better have a damn good exhaust shop in mind to be able to bend it though.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton (1975 - 2011)

1996 Thunderbird 5.0L 2V-4R70W
12.64 @ 107 MPH -> DA 3315 Ft above Sea level
12.49 @ 109 -> DA 2967 Ft above Sea level
2005 Mustang GT 4.6L 3V-TR3650 - SOLD
13.39 @ 102 MPH -> DA 3617 Ft above Sea level
2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V-6R80 - Bolt-ons
12.32 @ 115 MPH -> DA 2980 Ft above Sea level
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

what i'm going to do. is have my exhaust man peice it together in the fuel tank section and tig weld those peices. thats way it's really smooth bends, i know mandrel bending is the best but. can be a pain to get a really smoothe bend.

Current Mods:
Future Mods:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in