Has anyone tried this? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Has anyone tried this?

Retain the stock 3 cats for the emission police, replace the stock resonator with a Cherry Bomb Extreme 7425, and run dual pipes from there? Just wondering....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I'd be interested to hear a sound clip of that! You're talking no rear mufflers, just the cherry bomb, right? I had never even heard of a single in/dual out cherry bomb like that before! Pretty neat idea you got there, retrout. I'd be willing to bet it would sound pretty good, but what do I know?

Here is a sound clip of dual Cherry Bombs with a 4.6:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqcPPdOiAKw
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 05:30 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
If you like that sound, I'd say it's worth a try.

I currently have a Hooker Aerochamber in place of the stock resonator.

Delete my account.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

It just struck me that this Cherry Bomb was the same size as the resonator that's already on my car so it should plug right into the space. Then you would just have the problem of finding someone capable of bending the pipes to go behind it. I would try it first with just the pipes. Then if it turns out to be too obnoxious I'd put some resonated tips on it. Or a couple of these where the stock mufflers go.

That truck sounds real mean, but it's a glasspack. So far the only videos of the SI/DO Cherry Bomb Extreme that I've found have been trucks and a lot of them have bigger engines and no cats. Here are two that still have their cats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_2JOajiJ1Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q92YqRB0Qwc

I was wondering if there was anyone who put it on their T-Bird or if it's just a truck thing.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Thunderbird XX View Post
I currently have a Hooker Aerochamber in place of the stock resonator.
Which one? No other mufflers? How does it sound?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to 5.0 Chero
So it more or less a flowmaster copy....

73 ranchero with a 89 5.0 EFI HO/AOD
THE PYL !
91 Tbird lx 5.0 swap
GONE 93 5.0 Stang vert
54 Ford Vicky PAXTON SUPERCHARGED 5.0 HO/AOD
86 F250 Diesel 4x4
GONE 89 Aerostar
2003 F350 Super duty
1996 Exploder
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Chero View Post
So it more or less a flowmaster copy....
I suppose it is.

Here's a cutaway view of the Cherry Bomb Extreme: http://www.cherrybomb.com/cbimages/e...way_red_lg.jpg

and one of the Flowmaster 40 series: http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/sh..._40_series.jpg

The thing is, the Cherry Bomb looks like it would fit perfectly in place of the existing resonator, allowing you to have a noisy dual exhaust and still keep all three cats....
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Or you could just use this for the third cat

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-94008

and conventional mufflers at the rear. But that seems to involve more cutting and welding.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 10:22 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrout View Post
Which one? No other mufflers? How does it sound?
No other mufflers. Sorry I don't have a decent way to record anything outdoors. I just took a chance on it because I haven't heard about anyone using them. I suppose there's clips on Youtube to check out, but never even thought of that back when I was thinking about what I wanted to get.

Delete my account.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 01:45 AM

Exhaust

Yeah it sounds great! I got a 97 4.6 retained the three cats, and have dual exhaust on it
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolivianlatino82 View Post
Yeah it sounds great! I got a 97 4.6 retained the three cats, and have dual exhaust on it
Any sound clips?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 05:42 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Interceptor
You live in FL. We don't have emission police. You could get rid of the restrictive pipes/cats coming off the manifolds andrun straight pipe into that resonator . If you want to keep it clean, use some high flow cats. Several guys on here use a Magnaflow DI/DO with resonators out back, as you probably already know. But it seems you can't beat the prices for Cherry Bomb products, especially if you're just after the sound.

Last edited by Interceptor; 01-14-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: punctuation
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
You live in FL. We don't have emission police. You could get rid of the restrictive pipes/cats coming off the manifolds andrun straight pipe into that resonator . If you want to keep it clean, use some high flow cats. Several guys on here use a Magnaflow DI/DO with resonators out back, as you probably already know. But it seems you can't beat the prices for Cherry Bomb products, especially if you're just after the sound.
It's on the horizon. It suffered a setback this past year, but they'll try again.

Not having much equipment of my own, not being overburdened with cash, and doubtful about the odds of successfully talking an exhaust shop into cutting off the third cat, I was just looking at a relatively inexpensive way to get to twin pipes without messing with the cats.

If money were no object, I'd probably just go with the Mandrel Exhaust Systems unit with Dynomax turbos in back. If I ever do replace the cats, I probably will. In the mean time....
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
It's on the horizon. It suffered a setback this past year, but they'll try again.

Not having much equipment of my own, not being overburdened with cash, and doubtful about the odds of successfully talking an exhaust shop into cutting off the third cat, I was just looking at a relatively inexpensive way to get to twin pipes without messing with the cats.

If money were no object, I'd probably just go with the Mandrel Exhaust Systems unit with Dynomax turbos in back. If I ever do replace the cats, I probably will. In the mean time....
I was gonna do the Dynomax 17553 X-pipe di/do muffler (14 lbs) with Mandrelexhaustsystems.com pipes - total cost: $130+$105 = $235

If I found that a little loud, a pair of Dynomax 17749 muffers (2 x 14 lbs) out back would make it quieter, but then I gotta get an X-pipe up front - total cost: $130 + (2 x $51) = $232 + x-pipe cost

I think those costs are pretty low considering exhaust systems I've bought in the past!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
I was gonna do the Dynomax 17553 X-pipe di/do muffler (14 lbs) with Mandrelexhaustsystems.com pipes - total cost: $130+$105 = $235

If I found that a little loud, a pair of Dynomax 17749 muffers (2 x 14 lbs) out back would make it quieter, but then I gotta get an X-pipe up front - total cost: $130 + (2 x $51) = $232 + x-pipe cost

I think those costs are pretty low considering exhaust systems I've bought in the past!
A Magnaflow 11386 would bring the cost down even more. But there's still at least a couple hundred dollars in shop labor involved, and the question of whether you can even talk an exhaust guy into risking hefty fines by cutting off the third cat. I didn't want to mess with the cats yet.

Just found this:

http://performanceexhaustplus.com/0/..._category.html

Then you can add in these:

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...-TUBING/Detail

$29.99 + $120 = $149.99 for parts

Add in the cost of clamps, hangers and tips of your choice and you could do it yourself in your driveway without even getting an exhaust shop involved.

The problem with any kind of work on cars is you want it good, fast and cheap, but you can only have two of those at any given time.

This particular exercise is all about cheap.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Voice/Data Guru

Quote:

This is the system that is on my bird very pleased with performance and sound

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChecken View Post
This is the system that is on my bird very pleased with performance and sound

I like that sound. Maybe I should just save up and do that.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
A Magnaflow 11386 would bring the cost down even more. But there's still at least a couple hundred dollars in shop labor involved, and the question of whether you can even talk an exhaust guy into risking hefty fines by cutting off the third cat. I didn't want to mess with the cats yet.

Just found this:

http://performanceexhaustplus.com/0/..._category.html

Then you can add in these:

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...-TUBING/Detail

$29.99 + $120 = $149.99 for parts

Add in the cost of clamps, hangers and tips of your choice and you could do it yourself in your driveway without even getting an exhaust shop involved.

The problem with any kind of work on cars is you want it good, fast and cheap, but you can only have two of those at any given time.

This particular exercise is all about cheap.
Yeh, I don't consider labor cause I work at a shop and we do everything ourselves... Sorry 'bout that!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
Yeh, I don't consider labor cause I work at a shop and we do everything ourselves... Sorry 'bout that!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in