My First Post Here ... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

My First Post Here ...

Hello,everyone. First post. Nice to see a forum dedicated solely to T-Birds and all the expertise that comes with it.
That being said, I own a '97 T-Bird (California car) which just eclipsed 83,000 miles original miles. It had 79000 when I bought it several months ago. No modifications have been made on it with the exception of buying aftermarket floor mats for it(ha-ha).

I bought this car from a man in his late seventies a few months ago who kept it garaged and clean,and whose idea of maintenance was to change the oil every 3000 miles -- one can eat off the engine I tell ya. Since purchasing it, I've, changed the oil(twice), battery, had the brakes done, serviced the transmission oil and filter, replaced fuel filter, replaced coolant, replaced spark plugs(the Autolite plugs that came out of it looked as good as the new ones), cleaned the throttle body assembly, and replaced the main computer(?). I wanted to start fresh knowing what had been serviced on it,thus all the aforementioned service.

From what I've been reading on this model, and I've done a lot, the only thing I'd like to do on it is replace the serpentine belt,though the one on it looks new,see about a tranny cooler(How much is this?)of some type, AND replace the mufflers. Nothing major iow. It sounds great right now, and runs even better, but after seeing videos like the one by a guy named "Melon" in here,I'd love for this bird to sound like that. That all being said,what exactly is "drone"? I read a lot of threads and their postings in here last night and this term kept coming up. Is there a thread in here with a glossary of such terms? I googled "exhaust terms and definitions" last night and got nothing to help me. I gathered it was something one didn't desire and that appeared at higher RPMs at highway speeds.True? If it is an undesired trait of an aftermarket muffler,is there one particular brand that diminishes it, and also,what is the diameter of of stock pipes in case I do order my mufflers on line? There are several sizes.

Thank you very much, and great site. I've only just begun my reading in here.

Last edited by FranklinMint; 02-25-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

It's, for lack of a better description" a kind of humming, annoying sound coming from the exhaust usually caused by a poor setup.

95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
K&N cold air intake. True 2 1/4" duals, Xenon GFX. 3:55 Trac loc. Beefier trans, 2800 stall convertor, MkV111 aluminum driveshaft.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckcreekbilly View Post
It's, for lack of a better description" a kind of humming, annoying sound coming from the exhaust usually caused by a poor setup.
So since these mufflers rest in the rear of the vehicle behind the axle, this drone or droning might be due to a faulty weld? Fwiw, I hear the engine (mufflers) now at times at freeways speeds. Is this not suppose to happen? I'm still trying to familiarize myself to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:02 PM
6th Gear Poster

no the drone is different from the engine noise. it is honestly kinda hard to describe. but once you hear it you will know. and u will hate it. however, with simply changing mufflers and not doing any other rerouting the exhaust, you should not have to fear the drone.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:08 PM
2nd Gear Poster

welcome

-BIRDGUY-
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpthefatty View Post
no the drone is different from the engine noise. it is honestly kinda hard to describe. but once you hear it you will know. and u will hate it. however, with simply changing mufflers and not doing any other rerouting the exhaust, you should not have to fear the drone.
So is this then due to the brand one decides to go with? Sounds mysterious. Now you really have me scratching my head.

Thank you Charger1352.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 06:41 PM

The drone is a result of resonance that is amplified within the exhaust system. The bends and routing of the exhaust system are such that the sound waves will resonate terribly if not cancelled by some exhaust component. The factory mufflers have the necessary baffling to cancel this, and earlier model V8's and all V6's use an auxilary resonator to help. If you throw on a set of aftermarket mufflers without doing something upstream, you will likely be very dissatisfied, particularly around 1,800 RPM.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by master486 View Post
The drone is a result of resonance that is amplified within the exhaust system. The bends and routing of the exhaust system are such that the sound waves will resonate terribly if not cancelled by some exhaust component. The factory mufflers have the necessary baffling to cancel this, and earlier model V8's and all V6's use an auxilary resonator to help. If you throw on a set of aftermarket mufflers without doing something upstream, you will likely be very dissatisfied, particularly around 1,800 RPM.
Wow, and thanks. You kind of burst my bubble by me thinking it would be a painless add-on, but I'd rather know now and not after they were installed. I was leading toward it being more a manufacturer or installation issue.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 07:33 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinMint View Post
Wow, and thanks. You kind of burst my bubble by me thinking it would be a painless add-on, but I'd rather know now and not after they were installed. I was leading toward it being more a manufacturer or installation issue.
There is no such thing as "painless" on the TBird but if you love the car it won't make any difference. Lot's of knowledge here! My kids call the TBird a "Fatman's Mustang", I call it a Gentleman's Mustang (alot of resistance to Dad driving anything but a Mustang LOL).

93 5.0 Thunderbird LX - Suspension rebuilt - poly , Solid rubber mm's, Tokico Blues, SCPP 3.5" CAI, True Duals (Pypes Bullits MVR200RA, Magnaflow Resonators 14416), FRPP case & 3.73 gears, Dynatech MMC driveshaft, Walbro 255lph, 3G 130 amp Alt, MAC 1 5/8" Long Tubes, Tru Cool (28k), Cervini hood, LC-1, QH, '95 Cobra J4J1 PCM, 88mm VMP Slot Blade MAF, '97 TBird Electric Fan, PBR calipers, 24lb EV6 Bosch 4 Jet Injectors

[email protected] (engine/trans is stock)

To Be Installed: WRGearset (FRPP) AOD w/Art Carr VB (transbrake/electric OD_non-lockup), Ultimate Converter Concepts 9.5" 4100, Hurst V-Matic 2, Camshaft Innovations "Custom" cam & "TEA" prepped TW 190 FAC by Jay Allen, Holley Systemax II, 75mm TB, 275/50/15 MT D/R's,
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 07:50 PM
6th Gear Poster

Welcome! Master486 pretty much hit the nail on the head with his response. "Drone" wasn't an issue at all when the factory mufflers where on my car. As soon as they were cut (Thats a long story all in itself . . . best summed up by me recomending you NEVER do it) there was an EXTREME amount of cabin resonance, specifically between 1800 and 2200 rpm. So bad in fact that if I drove the car for a relatively long period of time, I'd start to get headaches.

Quote:
Hello,everyone. First post. Nice to see a forum dedicated solely to T-Birds and all the expertise that comes with it.
Solely??? Don't forget the cougars and marks

United States Navy - Honorable Discharge

Nashville Predators - ENOUGH SAID!

See what we've been up to:
http://forums.tccoa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradone View Post
There is no such thing as "painless" on the TBird but if you love the car it won't make any difference. Lot's of knowledge here! My kids call the TBird a "Fatman's Mustang", I call it a Gentleman's Mustang (alot of resistance to Dad driving anything but a Mustang LOL).
I call it a fluffed up over-sized go-cart given its quick and nimble response and feel. I don't know what type of suspension this car has,but boy does it compel one to push it on the banks and curves of the many freeway ramps that are part of southern California. I keep wondering when I am going to push it too far and lose it.

And,yes,I love the car. I don't know how many times I've waxed it in the little time that I've owned it. My poor 2001 F-150 must feel like the red-headed step child these past few months.

And thank you,Cougar fan (my first car was a new 1975 Cougar) for the welcome. Wow, that sounds bad as far as what you experienced.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 08:00 PM
PostWhore

Think of drone as being as annoying as a Fran Dresser's voice. It's not something you want to listen to all the time. BTW welcome.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousa632 View Post
Think of drone as being as annoying as a Fran Dresser's voice. It's not something you want to listen to all the time. BTW welcome.
Thanks for the welcome, and (LOL) I'll remember that analogy. Geez, that would be annoying.

So how does one get around it? Does it eventually become an exercise of trial and error with repiping and adding resonators and such?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 10:54 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Welcome. I also have a 97, with a resonator back Dynomax exhaust kit. Easy to install, not really loud, no drone. If I remember the video from Melon, he's running Flowmasters, but his car is also a DOHC engine, which might sound different than ours. There are some guys running mandrel bent true duals, which also sound really good to me. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Tbird4.6 View Post
Welcome. I also have a 97, with a resonator back Dynomax exhaust kit. Easy to install, not really loud, no drone. If I remember the video from Melon, he's running Flowmasters, but his car is also a DOHC engine, which might sound different than ours. There are some guys running mandrel bent true duals, which also sound really good to me. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.
Hi and thank you. You're talking about a complete kit here,right? As far as what I was looking for, I was just looking for a cool sound, and I thought all it entailed was simply adding a new set of mufflers. I'm obviously not very savvy when it comes to exhaust systems,thus my original post about "drone" and other subsequent queries. I am in California which means the converter must stay, so that limits me somewhat as to what my options are as far as a complete repiping of it.

... By the way, with regards to sound terms and exhaust are concerned, do you know what "raspy" and "throaty" means? I ran into those terms too when reading about exhaust systems.

Thanks
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:21 PM
2nd Gear Poster

All the ponies below are located at my ranch in INDIANA if anyone wants to go for a ride...haha
1989 XR7 SC 5-speed
1996 Bronco on 33's
1995 Mustang GT mild 302 Quicktime Turbo kit 543hp on 9lbs
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:33 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Quote:
Hi and thank you. You're talking about a complete kit here,right? As far as what I was looking for, I was just looking for a cool sound, and I thought all it entailed was simply adding a new set of mufflers. I'm obviously not very savvy when it comes to exhaust systems,thus my original post about "drone" and other subsequent queries. I am in California which means the converter must stay, so that limits me somewhat as to what my options are as far as a complete repiping of it.

... By the way, with regards to sound terms and exhaust are concerned, do you know what "raspy" and "throaty" means? I ran into those terms too when reading about exhaust systems.

Thanks
have you ever heard of a raspy voice?

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
Splattered,

Yes, it usually connotes something unpleasant or unnatural sounding when applied to a person, but not knowing any of the current vernacular when it comes to exhaust-speak and how it equated to a muffler's sound, I wondered whether it meant something good, desired, or coveted,etc. Words and terms continually evolve and may have different meanings in different contexts.Think of the term "sick" and how it's evolved to mean something hip and favorable in the last decade or so. ...I now know that "drone" is something to be avoided thanks to the responses here, and your response suggests that "raspy" should also be avoided. Thanks for the response.

Matlock,

What was the crayon graphic all about? Were you trying to suggest something?
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
Think smoker..... Remember how Stevie Nick's voice sounded when Fleetwood Mac was hot and she was young? Have you listened to her singing lately? Raspy...

Throaty? Think big deep voice...
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:43 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Hi and thank you. You're talking about a complete kit here,right? As far as what I was looking for, I was just looking for a cool sound, and I thought all it entailed was simply adding a new set of mufflers.
It's from about from the middle of the car back. Here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17379/ Looks like they have a rebate going on too.

I can still hear my radio when cruising on the highway, but you can hear it when you get on the gas. Pulling the air intake silencer (under the air filter in the inner fender) also changed the sound. I'm sure there are other mufflers available. Inlet pipe size is 2.25" I think.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in