Magnaflow 3" setup - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Magnaflow 3" setup

Guys,

I have a choice between two garages to do my 3" single exhaust. One of the garages doesn't handle Magnaflow 3 chambers, so I was wondering if someone had a part # for the part I need? How would this do with the stock cat or do you guys reccomend replacing that as well?

Thanks!

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8
SCT Tuned by Amercian Motorsport, Mustang PBR, FRPP 3.73 gears, Modified Trak-Lok, Steeda UDP, K&N Panel, 1990 SC Seats, 2.5" Single Exhaust/Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +, Windstar wheels, RichardM Intake, Kenwood KDC-HD552U HD Radio, 2800 stall DirtyDog Marauder TC, J-MOD, 2002 Grand Marquis transmission, DynoTech Driveshaft, AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Griffin Super High Capacity Radiator, 180* Thermostat, Cobra steering wheel, 6000K HID, Clear Corners Getting a makeover Spring 2015

http://www.fordthunderbird.net - For Pics and more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

So do I pick a Universal muffler with a 3" inlet?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGNA...item45f11a5876

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8
SCT Tuned by Amercian Motorsport, Mustang PBR, FRPP 3.73 gears, Modified Trak-Lok, Steeda UDP, K&N Panel, 1990 SC Seats, 2.5" Single Exhaust/Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +, Windstar wheels, RichardM Intake, Kenwood KDC-HD552U HD Radio, 2800 stall DirtyDog Marauder TC, J-MOD, 2002 Grand Marquis transmission, DynoTech Driveshaft, AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Griffin Super High Capacity Radiator, 180* Thermostat, Cobra steering wheel, 6000K HID, Clear Corners Getting a makeover Spring 2015

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 01:32 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
Where are you planning on putting the muffler?

Delete my account.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 01:36 PM
PostWhore

Ok, I see. That's a rearmount type...built in big tip.

Might want to measure some things out under there. If you remember what size your stock rear muffs were, they seem a bit short to allow room for the inlet pipe to get in there, don't they? Remember how tight of a bend the inlet pipe was with the stock diameter pipe? A longer muff and 3" pipe might make this trickier than you might expect.

Delete my account.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks, I will have to look at that. I am kind of a newb about exhaust, I never had a car with upgrading.

So this type would be for mounting elsewhere in the system? I think this is what my friend who is helping me said to get..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...item5632475c5a

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 03:22 PM
PostWhore

Lots of things to look at. The one you linked is offset In and offset Out. How will that affect your fitment? You could just buy it and work it out somehow, or you could try and mock something up to resemble it before buying it.

Also consider whether the muff you want will need to be round, oval, etc. Pay close attention to the listed dimensions and figure out where it could go using those dimensions..

Also consider where you want the muff to be: under the cabin floor or under the trunk floor. Looking at pics of other members' exhaust setups you can see that the rectangle/oval shapes might fit better under cabin floors than round cans.
For example the highly-regarded Magnaflow DIDO muffler is preferred as a midmount, while others seem to work or fit best at the back of the car.

FWIW, I have a Hooker Aerochamber (3" center In, 3" center Out) mounted in place of the stock resonator as a "midmount" setup and 3" pipe after that.

Delete my account.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Go true duals.

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...ird/Categories

93 5.0 Thunderbird LX - Suspension rebuilt - poly , Solid rubber mm's, Tokico Blues, SCPP 3.5" CAI, True Duals (Pypes Bullits MVR200RA, Magnaflow Resonators 14416), FRPP case & 3.73 gears, Dynatech MMC driveshaft, Walbro 255lph, 3G 130 amp Alt, MAC 1 5/8" Long Tubes, Tru Cool (28k), Cervini hood, LC-1, QH, '95 Cobra J4J1 PCM, 88mm VMP Slot Blade MAF, '97 TBird Electric Fan, PBR calipers, 24lb EV6 Bosch 4 Jet Injectors

[email protected] (engine/trans is stock)

To Be Installed: WRGearset (FRPP) AOD w/Art Carr VB (transbrake/electric OD_non-lockup), Ultimate Converter Concepts 9.5" 4100, Hurst V-Matic 2, Camshaft Innovations "Custom" cam & "TEA" prepped TW 190 FAC by Jay Allen, Holley Systemax II, 75mm TB, 275/50/15 MT D/R's,
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 10:22 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometGSR View Post
Guys,

I have a choice between two garages to do my 3" single exhaust. One of the garages doesn't handle Magnaflow 3 chambers, so I was wondering if someone had a part # for the part I need? How would this do with the stock cat or do you guys reccomend replacing that as well?

Thanks!
I recommend replacing the cats with a straight pipe

teksid block with forged internals, MHS stage 2 heads and cams, 80 mm 03 Mustang MAF, Bullitt intake with Accufab oval throttle body, Kooks headers, 2.5 inch catless true dual exhaust, w/x pipe and Magnaflow Magnapacks, Dirty Dog 3000 stall marauder tq converter, BC automotive built 4R70w transmission ,MMX Dynotech Drive shaft, Trac loc differential with 3.73's, custom made fssb, and lecb, rear shock tower brace by Azzkickers, JL subframe connectors, Eibach 1.5" lowering springs, koni shocks, dyno tune by Tim Barth at Mr Norm's garage
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Sure! Screw Al Gore!

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
I am running a mid-mount magnaflow with tru-x core. I got the alumnized one rather than stainless because it was cheaper. Johnny Langton, JL, whatever you want to call him gave me the part number for the muffler years ago and it has worked great. I have a single 3" tailpipe complete with compression bends for all you haters. It dumps under the car before the rear control arm. I get tons of compliments on how good the car sounds. It would be much more quiet inside if I would extend the tailpipe to the rear of the car. I am actually thinking about going back to dual tailpipes again sometime in the near future.
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:02 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to tbird_boi82 Send a message via Yahoo to tbird_boi82
omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradone View Post
So after checking the site and seeing this im curious how legitimate is this site im so interested , i just about wet myself when i seen it was only 300 for the cats with x pipe private me let me know

97 4.6L
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Listening on 141.850 mHz!

James - how about going with true duals like other guys have indicated? I have the mid-mount Magnaflow #11385 with the built in crossover, Magnaflow high-flow cats #94004, one on each side, and chrome NAPA tips with the angle cut on them. I got rid of the 3rd cat and the dual-in/dual-out Magnaflow muffler was installed in its' place. I got everything except the tips on the 'Bay. I have 2.25 pipes all the way. It sounds great!

Gonzalo Duque "Gonzo"
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC 4.6L Cobra V8
1997 Thunderbird Limited Edition 4.6L V8 - gone.
Might be a 2005-2007 Jaguar XJ-8 L in my future.

[email protected]
Westland, Michigan - but I'm from central New Jersey!
http://www.hoodliners.net - My hoodliners I make!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:29 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird_boi82 View Post
So after checking the site and seeing this im curious how legitimate is this site im so interested , i just about wet myself when i seen it was only 300 for the cats with x pipe private me let me know
quite a few other people have gotten their setups from that place.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Voice/Data Guru

I am one that has the True Duals from Mandrel Exhaust Systems & TM is another , Nice set up and it works great

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I still haven't made my mind up yet. I think both have good points and bad. The link referenced earlier looks like a nice setup as well.

For the single exhaust, I am looking at a Magnaflow Stainless Muffler that is 14" Case Length , 5" think ,8" wide, model #14834. This mounts on the end of the system. Anybody have an idea is this fits or not?

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:18 PM
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

Dual exhaust, nuff said.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in