Extension for Exhaust - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
Extension for Exhaust

As you may know, I added a one piece stock dual exhaust system from a 95 Cougar V8 to my 94 Cougar V6. Well, now the front end of the mufflers (rear wheel side) are hitting on the stock sway bar 'tabs' on the corners of the bar. Basically the 'new to me' exhaust system is about 1" too short for the front part of the current exhaust system.

Is there a spacer I can use at the middle muffler to the rear exhaust system or do I just loosen 'everything' up and start tightening from the rear? Not sure if this because the V6 system to the middle muffler is just 1" shorter than the V8 front system.

Ideas?

1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 200k!
1994 Mercoury Cougar XR7 - 150k and still going.

I've had too many other cars to mention...

Last edited by white lincoln; 03-24-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Okay, I thought of a few things on my way to work. I could cut the single pipe back to the mufflers and put one of these in to allow a 1" gap...

Or I could cut the tabs on the sway bar back about 1/2" or so to give some clearance so they don't hit.

I will try to take some pics so everyone can see what I am talking about.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 01:51 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Quote:
Originally Posted by white lincoln View Post
Okay, I thought of a few things on my way to work. I could cut the single pipe back to the mufflers and put one of these in to allow a 1" gap...

Or I could cut the tabs on the sway bar back about 1/2" or so to give some clearance so they don't hit.

I will try to take some pics so everyone can see what I am talking about.
I'm not sure if I understand what you're talking about - if you add "one of those" to your system and have a 1-inch gap under it, you're going to have an exhaust leak! That part you have in your picture is a band clamp meant to attach two exhaust pipes together, not to allow an extension between two pipes!

I think your best bet would be to go to a muffler shop and have them custom make a pipe for you taht's an inch or two longer than what you currently have.

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814 View Post
I think your best bet would be to go to a muffler shop and have them custom make a pipe for you taht's an inch or two longer than what you currently have. Dennis
Or have them cut the one piece pipe going back to the mufflers and add in an extension peice. That would work but they may charge up the hind end for it too.

I thought those clamps allowed for a gap. Guess I am wrong. I will look more into them to see what they or other clamps can do for me.

Or I could get a piece of pipe that is slightly larger then mine, but mine in half, slide that peice over the two ends and clamp it down. That would work too.

Thanks for the ideas and corrections.

I can cut the pipe and add one of these. It will all be good.

Last edited by white lincoln; 03-24-2010 at 02:49 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 06:28 PM
6th Gear Poster

As you posted earlier, something like this would most likely work. It would make it even easier to disconnect the rear section of your exhaust to drop your tank/etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Walker-Exhaust.../dp/B0006HLFB0

I have used these before and they work pretty well if the pipes are still round and free of excessive rust. If you are worried about an inch gap in the clamp, put a small section of equal diameter pipe between the two sections you are trying to space apart. I am willing to bet it would seal without a 'spacer' however. It is definitely worth a try as they are cheap. This is kind of a quick and dirty solution, but will probably work. Go for it.

Or something like this (i'm not sure if it is the correct size however)...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-41951/?rtype=10

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08

Last edited by coolhandzep; 03-24-2010 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in