Exhaust flange bolt/nut size question.. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Exhaust flange bolt/nut size question..

Like the title says, anybody know off the top of their head what stud size/thread pitch the hardware holding the cat assembly to the exhaust manifolds is? Somebody had it apart before I purchased the vehicle (apparently), and left a couple of the nuts off. Now the studs are so corroded that I cannot get any nut to go on there, and I have a decent exhaust leak that I'd like to get fixed (maybe it's part of the reason the car is running like crap). I'm thinking that the best option is to drop the catalytic converter assembly and replace the studs that hold it all together. As of right now, there is only one nut on each side holding things together, be nice to have two per side....

UPDATE: The stud/nut sizes are M10-1.5 x ??mm long. See my post below for link to the kit.

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?" www.despair.com

Last edited by skorchmp; 04-03-2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: figured it out. Yay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 06:31 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorchmp View Post
Like the title says, anybody know off the top of their head what stud size/thread pitch the hardware holding the cat assembly to the exhaust manifolds is? Somebody had it apart before I purchased the vehicle (apparently), and left a couple of the nuts off. Now the studs are so corroded that I cannot get any nut to go on there, and I have a decent exhaust leak that I'd like to get fixed (maybe it's part of the reason the car is running like crap). I'm thinking that the best option is to drop the catalytic converter assembly and replace the studs that hold it all together. As of right now, there is only one nut on each side holding things together, be nice to have two per side....
Can you run a die on the threads? That is what I would do.

1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 200k!
1994 Mercoury Cougar XR7 - 150k and still going.

I've had too many other cars to mention...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 10:33 PM
6th Gear Poster

I just put new bolts nuts and washers on mine. Not easy to get ur arm up there but with a little patience and creativity (if I remember correctly I may have used a bit of gum to hold the washer on the head of the bolt ) you can get it together.
Took me a bit of testing to find the right size of bolt to fit best.

teksid block with forged internals, MHS stage 2 heads and cams, 80 mm 03 Mustang MAF, Bullitt intake with Accufab oval throttle body, Kooks headers, 2.5 inch catless true dual exhaust, w/x pipe and Magnaflow Magnapacks, Dirty Dog 3000 stall marauder tq converter, BC automotive built 4R70w transmission ,MMX Dynotech Drive shaft, Trac loc differential with 3.73's, custom made fssb, and lecb, rear shock tower brace by Azzkickers, JL subframe connectors, Eibach 1.5" lowering springs, koni shocks, dyno tune by Tim Barth at Mr Norm's garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

You're not gonna believe this....

Well, I figured out the stud/ nut size question, and I'll post the specs below for others who might be curious. I also found the exhaust leaks. Plural. Both sides. Apparently, someone in the past decided to use a cutting torch/welder/unknown device to blow two 3/4" holes in the top of the pipe about 3 inches or so downstream of the rear O2 sensors. Holes neatly melted through the pipe, nice and symmetrical, obviously intentional. I'm guessing to give the car a little "rumble". Well, it sounds like a huge exhaust leak to my ears, so I guess I now have an excellent excuse to go buy some exhaust goodies from Mandrel Exhaust Systems....

I (temporarily) plugged the holes as a test, and the 3rd cat doesn't seem to be plugged up, which is the only reason I would do something like THAT, and only as a temporary fix until I could deal with a plugged 3rd cat problem CORRECTLY. Arrgh.

Anyways, about the stud sizes...

Went to Checker/Schucks/Kragens/O'Reilly's, and found this kit. It's Dorman Help! Products number 03131, exhaust flange hardware kit.

The stud sizes (in the kit) are M10-1.5 x 72mm, and I've already gotten the bolts loosened up without stripping/breaking/rounding off anything. Took me all afternoon, too. So, tomorrow, I go put in new studs and two exhaust clamp patch thingies to cover those bloody holes. That should tidy things up until the 'Bird gets an exhaust makeover in the next two or three months

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?" www.despair.com
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 12:22 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorchmp View Post
Checker/Schucks/Kragens/O'Reilly's
Huh? Is that the result of some big merger clusterhump or something?

Needs more stall.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemare View Post
Huh? Is that the result of some big merger clusterhump or something?
More or less. I've noticed that they're called by the different names (Checker/Schuck's/Kragen's) depending on where you are, but the whole mess (CSK Auto) was bought by O'Reilly. www.oreillyauto.com in mid-2008. They just made the "official" changeover recently, both the actual stores and the website, and as a result all my bookmarks for various parts from Checker suddenly don't work anymore.... Oh well, time to redo 'em, I suppose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in