Looking For Opinions - Cherry Bomb Setup - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Looking For Opinions - Cherry Bomb Setup

Hey guys,

I'm doing a bit of research to hear what others have to say. First off, I should say that this system is a bit of a Cherry Bomb demo, so going with another brand isn't an option.

Here's what i was planning on doing:

Cut the Stock exhaust just downstream from the cats and start from there with two pieces of 2 1/4 pipe into a dual input Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler with a single 3" output.

Run 3" pipe the lenght of the car and then split it back down to two 2 1/4 pipes. Where i'm going to split them is still up in the air, so opinions on this would be nice as well.

After they are split, I'm still undecided if I'm just going to run the two 2 1/4 pipes out the back with a couple tips on the ends, or if I'm going to run them into two 2 1/4 Cherry Bomb Glass Packs with tips on the output ends.

The car is a 91 mercury cougar with factory single exhaust. It's got a recently rebuilt 3.8L engine. The sound we're going for is a lower rumble, but not overly loud when driving on the highway and at city speeds. I know with a v6 it's going to be hard not to have some rasp, but i'm hoping that with the 3" pipe, it'll give the deep sound and help eliminate some of the rasp.

If anyone's got any constructive opinions or experience with CB products that they'd like to share, It would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I'm thinkin that if you go 3" and then back down to dual 2 1/4", the piece of 3" is gonna create one helluva "drone" chamber.

95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
K&N cold air intake. True 2 1/4" duals, Xenon GFX. 3:55 Trac loc. Beefier trans, 2800 stall convertor, MkV111 aluminum driveshaft.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

any suggestions on what i should use in place then? I'm just trying to work out any potential bugs before i start the work.

Stephen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 02:43 PM
DSM
1st Gear Poster

smaller than 3in, that will cause it to drone. 2.5in or stock piping from the cat to better mufflers and or glasspacks will give it the deeper tone without the "drone"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 08:26 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Stephen, check out the you tube clips of Vortex mufflers. There are several, including V6's, and most are single muffler systems. They sound great without extra resonators.

I'm not familiar with the Thunderbird exhaust, but I think you have long tailpipes. If the tailpipes are not really short, the upstream pipe sizes will have no affect on drone etc. The muffler creates most drone, anything else happens in the big ricer jap car end pipes. With normal tailpipes, you may be fine without the tip mufflers you mentioned. I'd try that first.

I have a V8 SUV which I just received two of the Vortex mufflers for. I like a subtle sedate sound, as low as possible. My exhaust will be twin 3" cat pipes into twin pairs of 2.5" pipes, into the Vortex 2.5" inlet pair mufflers, out of single 3" pipes. You can't do that under a car I know, but this will fit easily in a truck and create a natural crossover.

The Vortex mufflers measure just over 4" thick, welded together they will be less than 8.2" thick. That matches my stock single muffler with its shield.

_________
Don

91 Mark VII LSC SE, Griggs and MM suspension soon
98 Mountaineer, A4WD, Big brakes - 12.75" x 1.25" rotors
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

hey, thanks for the input! it's much appreciated. I've been checking out some videos, and what i've really liked is the sound of the CB extreme mufflers. I like that deep idle rumble, but not really looking for the loudness when driving. I was hoping to gain the deepness with the 3" pipe from the Vortex muffler, while keeping the noise levels down.

The reason i'm doing this is because the shop I work for has been carrying Cherry Bomb mufflers, and in an effort to help with sales, I've decided to put a system on my car so we can demo it to customers from time to time. So because if this, it needs to sound impressive, but it still needs to be practicle for my daily driving. I live in a neighbourhood with lots of new families and young children, so i don't really want something thats going to wake the neighbourhood when i pull up at 1 am, but I'm looking for something that when i'm stopped at a set of lights, makes the people in the car next to me notice the car, in a good way haha.

not being a muffler shop, no one I work with really has any experience with how pipe diameters and muffler placement change tone, so i was hoping that anyone who has experience with these things could lend a hand in helping me choose what's needed.

Thanks again for all the input,

Stephen
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:38 AM
3rd Gear Poster

The mufflers and tailpipes affect sound levels more than anything else. All aftermarket mufflers are louder than OEM stuff, so be ready for the quietest CB muffler(Vortex) to be a good bit louder than stock. Make the tips/outlets point the exhaust out away from the body, try not to end them underneath the body.

Pipe size doesn't massively increase or decrease sound levels. That's more about power potential and restriction. I suggest bigger is always better, up to the point where restriction is reduced so much that the engine runs lean. You get more power until the engine is lean enough to need a different computer tune. Most people don't go that far, that is the result when you hear people say that they lost power with a bigger exhaust.

If a person says they lost power, they are not actually correct, the engine is running lean and needs more fuel. They have actually lost the power which they potentially could gain, but they choose to not retune the engine to gain that power. It's the fault and ignorance of the owner, not the exhaust or the engine. Unfortunately that is a very large group of people.

Most vehicles from the 80s on will gain power from new programming. The pre OBDII vehicles are very hard to retune, that involves chips and experienced programmers. Later cars can have it done by the owner very easily and fast with a flasher, given a program from an experienced tuner.

So don't go too big, and you already sound like you are being prudent.

_________
Don

91 Mark VII LSC SE, Griggs and MM suspension soon
98 Mountaineer, A4WD, Big brakes - 12.75" x 1.25" rotors
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

thanks for the info.

so after taking into consideration all the great info that's been put foreward, i've reconsidered the middle pipe. 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 from the muffler back to the rear split should be fine? Gaining mass amounts of power isn't really the goal here, it's more of a bonus. Sound quality is the most important.

I think that if I go with 2 1/4 it might be possible to run true duals down through the stock cut out. I don't have the car in front of me at the moment to check the clearence as it's currently still in winter storage.

If anyone has any insight into the size tubing that can be ran in the stock single cutout under the car that'd be a great help too.

So the revised setup is as follows:

2 1/4 from the cats back to a dual inlet, mid mounted CB vortex muffler.

Either dual 2 1/4 out from the muffler, or a single 2 1/2 out (depending on the size pipe that can be ran)

If the 2 1/2 is ran, then split either before or after the rear axle. Both options will end out the back of the car.

Comments, suggestions, and feedback welcome!

Stephen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in