side exit custom exhaust pics and tips please? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

side exit custom exhaust pics and tips please?

I know i have seen some well done side exit setups on here before, just don't remember where or which members! Having a 91 this is the best way (without swapping the gas tank) to get tru dual exhaust.

I am thinking off road down pipes into short x pipe then dumping just past the trans out the sides. i would like a flat, rectangular shaped tip that lays flush with the SC ground effects.

need to know where the mufflers fit into the line up and how are they positioned? do you use a heat shield by the fuel lines and brake lines?

any tips, pics, etc would be a great help. this will probably be a project for next year, so no hurry!

1991 Super Coupe -
Performance=5.0 H.O. w/M5R2 5speed, 3.27 gears w/CF TracLoc,95 Cobra intake, 75mm Power throttle body, fenderwell CAI, C&L 73mm mass air w/24# injectors, FRPP E-Cam,Trickflow spring kit & Crane 1.7 roller rockers on stock E7s, MAC shorty headers, Flowmaster cat back w/hiflow cats, MSD plugs, coil, wires, electric cooling fan, 190lph Walbro fuel pump, BBK pulleys, and a B&M shifter. Drilled/slotted rotors, power brake conversion, Tokico Blues, Eibach springs, tons of poly, T4MO ecm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 02:52 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

I have seen a nascar boomtube used as a side exhaust

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 02:54 PM
PostSlut

where do you plan to run any of the mufflers with the gas tank in the way?

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 12:01 AM
2nd Gear Poster

It can be done with the stock tank, but the pipes will likely scrape. I've been running a side out set up for about six months. Got tired of scrapping the driveway, speed bumps and such. I used Dynomax race bullet mufflers mounted just behind the tranny. The pipes did a 45 degree angle, the straight shot to the rear tires where they came out under the side skirts. I fabbed up a couple of heat shields clamped onto the pipes. they started at the end of the trans tunnel and ended at the rockers just before the side skirts. the skirts also had some heat shields so they didn't melt. I have some cell phone pics I will try to get loaded soon.
The pros of the side outs were they looked pretty cool, sounded great, and gave the car a unique look, especially around my hometown. The cons were mostly scraping alot and a constant drone that g0t old after driving a while.
hope that helps a bit.

Jon

'97 Thunderbird LX Sport
'08 Lancer GTS
'90 Thunderbird SC 5 speed
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2256816

Lets Roll
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

95 badbird~ i have seen guys run bullet style mufflers/resonators where the cats would be on a stock system. one guy with a cougar i saw on here even had full size dynomaxs there then pipes straight back and 45 deg angle out just after the trans.

raptor thank you and nice car.

1991 Super Coupe -
Performance=5.0 H.O. w/M5R2 5speed, 3.27 gears w/CF TracLoc,95 Cobra intake, 75mm Power throttle body, fenderwell CAI, C&L 73mm mass air w/24# injectors, FRPP E-Cam,Trickflow spring kit & Crane 1.7 roller rockers on stock E7s, MAC shorty headers, Flowmaster cat back w/hiflow cats, MSD plugs, coil, wires, electric cooling fan, 190lph Walbro fuel pump, BBK pulleys, and a B&M shifter. Drilled/slotted rotors, power brake conversion, Tokico Blues, Eibach springs, tons of poly, T4MO ecm
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 08:05 AM
PostSlut

ummm, scarping all the time, I would not call that a good fit.
but if you enjoy that, allrighty.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 08:17 AM
PostWhore

Here is mine.

-----1993 Bird 5.0------
393 stroker, Vortech YSi, on E85
Lentech Strip Terminator & 4,000+ RPM stall converter
Detroit Locker with 3.55 gears.
17x9 Cobra Rs with 255/45/17 BFG KWDS
275/50/17 M&H DR on the rear

Click for Full Project
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

392 bird that is exactly what i am talking abou! think you could go into some detail about your system for me? what kind of cats/mufflers. what size pipes? how did you get the tips through the body like that so perfect? thank you and that is a gorgeous Tbird my friend!

1991 Super Coupe -
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

392 bird that is exactly what i am talking abou! think you could go into some detail about your system for me? what kind of cats/mufflers. what size pipes? how did you get the tips through the body like that so perfect? thank you and that is a gorgeous Tbird my friend!

1991 Super Coupe -
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 06:07 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks. Here is several pictures of it being done. No cats, mufflers are Dynomax race bullets. It was done in 2 1/2 inch 1st, but 3 inch now.

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/birdwork7.htm

-----1993 Bird 5.0------
393 stroker, Vortech YSi, on E85
Lentech Strip Terminator & 4,000+ RPM stall converter
Detroit Locker with 3.55 gears.
17x9 Cobra Rs with 255/45/17 BFG KWDS
275/50/17 M&H DR on the rear

Click for Full Project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in