Different Rear Exhaust - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Different Rear Exhaust

I want to run the x-muffler with no rears and I got to thinking... Why have those two 90 degree bends behind the rear pumpkin? Why not go straight out the back like the Dodge Viper or the Chevy Camaro & Corvette?

What do you all think of this look? Or maybe 2 or 4 round circle tips in the middle of the car? I, personally, kind of like the look. Don't hold back, let me know what you think! It'd be original on these cars, right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 06:58 AM
6th Gear Poster

absolutely NO on the two or four round tips. and to be quite honest when i was reading it i thought i was gunna have to rip you a new a$$hole. but seeing the pic with the two ovals actually looks kinda good. but definitely not 4 rounds. all bad!
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 07:07 AM
smoothed and filled red pearl 94

Send a message via AIM to 94MN1246
you will probably never get any creative advice on how to do your exhaust here.... just a bunch of people pushing you to midmount a magnaflow and put some tips under your bumper. i say you do what you think would look good and be happy with that. **** what anyone else thinks.

-John

MAMN-12 Fringe Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 07:44 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94MN1246 View Post
you will probably never get any creative advice on how to do your exhaust here.... just a bunch of people pushing you to midmount a magnaflow and put some tips under your bumper. i say you do what you think would look good and be happy with that. **** what anyone else thinks.

-John
X2

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
Personally I don't like it..Have you considered running it through the bumper a la Porsche Carrera Gt Cabriolet?

Rayo..
Actually, yeh I did! I just didn't mention Porsche in my question because I kinda just listed American Muscle for comparison...
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 01:50 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to chris g
i think it'd look cool with the ovals..

COLD AIR INTAKE, MN12 PERFORMANCE FRONT SUSPENSION KIT, SILVER PAINTED AVS WINDOW GUARDS, SILVER PAINTED DASH PANELS, 28% MIRROR TINTED WINDOWS, SUSPENSION TECHNIQUES 2'' DROP, TRUE BENDS CUSTOM 2.5'' TRUE DUAL EXHAUST. 2nd generation SC wheels.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 02:53 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
The pic with the ovals up there doesn't look bad. How that could look on an MN12 though is anyone's guess.

When thinking up ideas like this, Photoshop is your friend. Sometimes it helps a lot more than you think to visualize/render an idea with a 2D pic instead of trying to visualize it just in your head.
Remember to render it from a few different angles as well. What might look great from the rear might not be so good from the side.

Now get to work on those renderings so we can see 'em.

Delete my account.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 03:13 PM
Veteran Poster

If you want pictures of a center exit exhaust, go look at "Green Monster" which is owned by Anthony Lewis. Pictures can be found on his cardomain.

-Corey

'94 SC - Black on Blue. Currently KIA due to drunk driver.
'95 SC - Black on Grey. 45K Miles. Converting to the darkside.
'02 Lincoln LS V8- Black on Grey. Daily Driver.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:11 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Interesting concept. I had to look it up. Thanks for the lead on the "Green Monster" 95XR7.

Here's a link to the relevant pages on his Cardomain. The exhaust section starts on page 10 with some good pictuers of the underside on page 11.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/279045/10

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 04:37 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Here's a link to the relevant pages on his Cardomain. The exhaust section starts on page 10 with some good pictuers of the underside on page 11.

Yeah good find. And after checking those pics out, my fears are confirmed. It makes a terrible side view, IMO. (As in "Are those wheelie bars or exhaust pipes?") Now, I'm thinking maybe turn them up a bit from where they are normally under the pumpkin area to up closer to the trunk floor to conceal them better and then have them shooting through the rear bumper cover...

Just throwing ideas/opinions out there.

Delete my account.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Thanks for all the opinions and that link, Corey! Great Find! And kpfatty is right about the two circles in the back, I'm not that crazy about it. The two ovals, however, I think I'm gonna go for. I think what makes those center exhaust exits look so nice on some cars is that the a** is rounded. A TBird is flat and kinda squared, so we'll see how it comes out and I'll post pics.
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 02:21 PM
5th Gear Poster

When I had my cougar I had muffler delete and added a Z28 tip right past the rear diffential. I never did take pic wait there might be sum but it'll be back in like 2002-2003. Frankiecougar did it I think Dario didit too. I say do it I was planning to do it to my old 96 mk 8 with a boom tube but never did.
________
T platform

Last edited by MRCYCOUG; 01-28-2011 at 06:16 PM.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 12:42 AM
PostWhore

I'm personally not a fan of center oval tips on a bird. I saw one roaming around Kalamazoo MI when I was in high school (this was 8 years ago or so) and it looked awful with the rounded lip of the rear bumper (not to mention it was an SC and had dual cutouts on the bumper!).

89 Cougar XR-7...slightly modded, 240 rwhp / 340 rwtq, Best time as of 4/22/12 = 13.11 @ 103.82, 1.78 60'
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Overkill Fetish Freak

First go round... 3 inch.

4 Inch...

Simple and no major turns.

-Scott
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 03:59 AM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Interesting concept. I had to look it up. Thanks for the lead on the "Green Monster" 95XR7.

Not a problem. Sorry I didn't provide the link to the page. Cardomain was being difficult, and not wanting to load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
Thanks for all the opinions and that link, Corey! Great Find! And kpfatty is right about the two circles in the back, I'm not that crazy about it. The two ovals, however, I think I'm gonna go for. I think what makes those center exhaust exits look so nice on some cars is that the a** is rounded. A TBird is flat and kinda squared, so we'll see how it comes out and I'll post pics.
Not a problem. I'm really not all that crazy about centered exhaust. However, if you have a SC bumper (late model, as I haven't paid much attention to the early ones.), two wide oval tips, spaced at the outside edges of the bumper look great. But there's quite a few people running those. (I actually have it on my '94 as well.)

Ovals may work better like you said, due to the shape of the car. For the XR7's, and the one I had, it had circled tips and looked great. However, circled tips on my SC looked horrible (the reason I went with ovals.) It kind of depends on the color of the car too, IMO.

-Corey

post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 04:47 AM
PostWhore

It wouldn't be as bad if you could push up the spare tire tunnel. But since that pushes the pipes so low if you go straight under it, coupled with no SC rear bumper (which is lower to hide more stuff) it will look goofy.

Everyone will say to go with the normal DI/DO magnaflow and the usual around-the-pumpkin to dual tips out the back because that is what tends to sound/look the best for these types of cars.

Unless you have tools and knowhow/resources to do what 393Bird did with the side exhaust out the rocker pannel(which is ****ing sweeeet) nottoo many people deviate from the norm.

By all means try it, or test fit some pipes to see how they look and go with it. In the end it's YOUR car so do what you want. I'm more a simple and clean kind of guy....like Rod's XR-7 with simple 2.5" or 3" angle turndowns in the back. You barely see them but it looks nice and clean.

most people talk, but few are up for the moment
-where there's money and imagination, there's cool cars
ohhh the Junkyard , one man's trash is another man's treasure

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919 View Post
Everyone will say to go with the normal DI/DO magnaflow and the usual around-the-pumpkin to dual tips out the back because that is what tends to sound/look the best for these types of cars.

Unless you have tools and knowhow/resources to do what 393Bird did with the side exhaust out the rocker pannel(which is ****ing sweeeet) nottoo many people deviate from the norm.
I agree. This is the main reason most people get shot down. Actually looking at it, planning it out, is COMPLETELY different than actually getting it to work.

With 392's bird, you WILL have install a fuel cell in the trunk. This is what frees up the room to install exhaust. You can search for his writeup of it, to get the exact details but if I remember correctly he had to fireproof everything where the exhaust goes through the body, etc.

post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Thanks smitty & XR7. Yeh, I saw that thread with the gas tank removed (fuel cell in the trunk) and his side exhaust; it did come out super nice. I used to be a fan of side exhaust when I was younger, and had a 1970 Chevelle with exits directly in front of the rear tires. It's cool...at first...then it became quite irritating anytime I rode around with the window down. In the end, I went out the rear with the Chevelle in the standard locations. Now the only people to get irritated were the unlucky ones to be directly behind me when I was getting on it...

Oh yeh, the local authorities weren't too fond of it, either.

But now I live in the sticks where literally anything goes on the road (and they get away with it!) I'm just dreaming right now, anyways. I have quite a hole to dig myself out of financially before I dump any more money into the 'Bird. Such is life...
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 12:44 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Thunderbird XX View Post
Yeah good find. And after checking those pics out, my fears are confirmed. It makes a terrible side view, IMO. (As in "Are those wheelie bars or exhaust pipes?") Now, I'm thinking maybe turn them up a bit from where they are normally under the pumpkin area to up closer to the trunk floor to conceal them better and then have them shooting through the rear bumper cover...

Just throwing ideas/opinions out there.
Sc bumper w/ tip coutouts. http://www.thundercoupe.com/ext2.htm
________
W107 350SL

Last edited by MRCYCOUG; 01-28-2011 at 06:17 PM.
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 01:57 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Thunderbird XX View Post
Remember to render it from a few different angles as well. What might look great from the rear might not be so good from the side.
HAHAHAH......Enuf said. Sorry cudn't help it.

Oh my goodness!!!!
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prthurman View Post
HAHAHAH......Enuf said. Sorry cudn't help it.
That's what Jack Black said.....
post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Veteran Poster

Did anybody else end up doing the center rear exit?

---Jeremy
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 04:42 PM
4th Gear Poster

Go Oval

I like the look of the ovals, but I think they'd look better if they were spaced apart a bit to the outside.
post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrotn97 View Post
I like the look of the ovals, but I think they'd look better if they were spaced apart a bit to the outside.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Put the pipes along the sides of that bulge in the middle of the spare tire with oval tips so the pipes tuck up tight near the bumper.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 07:52 PM
4th Gear Poster

Yeah, I think that would look pretty [email protected] good!
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

All the pics Ive seen of center exit birds I dont think look right. Now half mould some ovals into the bumper and that might look better.

Will

The Texas Green Bird (An undeveloped work of art.)
92 Thunderbird Sport 5.0: Sold

91 gt, 5.0 73mm turbo, 5spd, 373s, and much more
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunnner View Post
All the pics Ive seen of center exit birds I dont think look right. Now half mould some ovals into the bumper and that might look better.
Well, I'll say the one's pictured in this thread kind of look like doo-doo to me. I'm gonna try something a bit different, I'll work it, see what I think looks good, and share it with y'all.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I've always liked it coming out of the trunk...

And if you think that can't be home brewed, think again

Team 333 Pulp Friction @ Lemons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXwiVdndR98
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
That's about as tacky as lambo doors on non lamborghinis

-Matt
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 06:29 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
I've always liked it coming out of the trunk...

And if you think that can't be home brewed, think again

Team 333 Pulp Friction @ Lemons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXwiVdndR98

Yeah I think it could be done, but should it be done. The only way Id like to see that done to an mn12 is to get a good laugh. I dont think its that great on the Zonda.

Will

The Texas Green Bird (An undeveloped work of art.)
92 Thunderbird Sport 5.0: Sold

91 gt, 5.0 73mm turbo, 5spd, 373s, and much more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in