Need info on Magnaflow Catalytic Converters - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Need info on Magnaflow Catalytic Converters

Currently thinking about buying these from summit only because they suggest some what that they are for my make, model, & engine size http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-99175HM/. Any one have good info on Magnaflow Catalytic Converters as far as, does it really matter regarding the engine size, liter, & make? Iím currently running stock with a mid mount Magnaflow & 2.25 duals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
Just get a Mandrel Exhaust systems front section. You will thank yourself later. Do it once and be done. Those will most likely require some modification to fit. Youre cats are pretty much a 90 degree angle in the exhaust.

In all seriousness... What exactly are you looking at gaining? You need to look at what you want in the future and plan accordingly. Who wants to redo an exhaust system everytime they make big modifications. So plan for the final goal and make the exhaust accordingly. Which is why I recommended the Mandrel exhaust systems. Very little modifications are needed.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunktasticLucky View Post
Just get a Mandrel Exhaust systems front section. You will thank yourself later. Do it once and be done. Those will most likely require some modification to fit. Youre cats are pretty much a 90 degree angle in the exhaust.

In all seriousness... What exactly are you looking at gaining? You need to look at what you want in the future and plan accordingly. Who wants to redo an exhaust system everytime they make big modifications. So plan for the final goal and make the exhaust accordingly. Which is why I recommended the Mandrel exhaust systems. Very little modifications are needed.
I'm already running 2.25 duals with a 2.25 dual in dual out Magnaflow mid mount..My cats are pretty clogged up so im just trying to upgrade asap to better cats and maybe gain a little while im at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 03:21 AM

Garage
i wouldnt go have a exhaust shop do it. they take for frackin ever to ship out and arrive and then hangers are in the wrong place 02 bungs point at the tranny pan. they are so far from "direct fit" it's not even funny. nothing like spending 350 on em and then having to pay some exhaust shop to fix the "direct fit" piece of crap.

use their cats but have them done somewhere youll save yourself a big headache.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 11:10 AM
PostWhore

Just have a shop make custom downtubes and buy some magnaflow spun cats (4" round and 9" long) and have the welded in. Possibly spend the same money as if you were to buy a kit and have it fixed.

most people talk, but few are up for the moment
-where there's money and imagination, there's cool cars
ohhh the Junkyard , one man's trash is another man's treasure

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

i have 2 cats for sale in those size plus i'll throw in a set of 2 bolt flanges to mount to your manifolds

they are 2.5" opening

I bust ARP bolts by hand...

If Guns kill people, then...
...pencils miss spel werds
...cars make people drive drunk
...spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
~Gun Owners of America
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
I have the mandrel bent down pipes and high flow cats that came off my car when I installed my new exhaust. But you would have to wait till I get home next month before I could ship them out. These actually used to be james' haha

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:46 AM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
You wont get any gains from this unless your stock cats actually are clogged. The magnaflow cats are designed just like the stock ones they replace, except for the big ugly round GM ones from the 80s and 90s. They are all pretty much "universal" replacements as long as they fit in the area needed and have close to the right inlet and outlet size. The more catalyst inside the converter, the better it can do its job. These same converters used to be called Carsound converters, but they were bought out by magnaflow. Also, btw, if you arent running boost, you will never feel the difference between compression and mandrel bends.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in