Pictures please, Magnaflow universal cats. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Pictures please, Magnaflow universal cats.

To make a long story short my car is slowly falling apart and once again I am thinking about fixing it before I start looking for it's replacement.

My check engine light has been on for at least a year for bad cats and awhile back I bought two 94004 magnaflow universal cats. The first shop i went to told me they did not want to swap them out but by the end of the conversation told me that they would, no warranty and the cel would remain lit. I checked another shop yesterday and they told me it would be over $200, I was eating into their profits by supplying my own parts and my cel would remain on because (after he did put it on a lift) the front o2 sensors could not be reinstalled in/near the same "required" place. I was told to come back and see the owner for an accurate price.

I have asked on the forum about the cel and have been told that these cats do correct the issue.

Does anyone have pictures of the magnaflow cats installed and possibly close up pictures of the front o2 sensors? I would really like to go back to the exhaust shop with pictures in hand that may help the shop owner throw out a fair price.

If you have but cannot post pictures please shoot me a PM and I will forward an email address.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 10:21 AM
PostWhore

I dont have pics or Magnaflows on mine but it sounds like those shops just arent interested in your money. It's probibly because they buy cats at $50 sell it to you at $150 and charge you labor to put it in more than doubleing their profit. I do , however, see their opinion of not wanting to install stuff that was not bought at their shop because they wont warranty it. HOWEVER, they should at least give you the option to install it with the understanding there is NO warranty on anything other than their welds.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 08:21 AM
PostWhore

This is the best I can do without taking a picture when I get home.

89 Cougar XR-7...slightly modded, 240 rwhp / 340 rwtq, Best time as of 4/22/12 = 13.11 @ 103.82, 1.78 60'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thanks for the pic conversion, do you still have rear o2's behind the cats? It just looks like they moved the cats back a little to make a new home for the front o2's. I just don't want to dump money in the car if it isn't going to fix the cel.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 07:31 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowProject View Post
Thanks for the pic conversion, do you still have rear o2's behind the cats? It just looks like they moved the cats back a little to make a new home for the front o2's. I just don't want to dump money in the car if it isn't going to fix the cel.
Negative. Only the fronts. You can see one of the front 02s by the oil pan, just behind the k-member. I can get a close up of it if you want.

The exhaust is kooks headers, ART mandrel bent piping, carsound cats, and a magnaflow x-pipe (a little too loud for my taste - and quite a bit of drone from 2200-2900 rpm)

89 Cougar XR-7...slightly modded, 240 rwhp / 340 rwtq, Best time as of 4/22/12 = 13.11 @ 103.82, 1.78 60'
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Yes, I see the front o2's. I'm just not sure if the rear o2's can be moved back and still function correctly. I am actually looking for pictures of the 94004 universal cats in an emissions legal set-up that will not trip the cel. I've had members tell me that it works but the exhaust shops I have gone to say no.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowProject View Post
Yes, I see the front o2's. I'm just not sure if the rear o2's can be moved back and still function correctly. I am actually looking for pictures of the 94004 universal cats in an emissions legal set-up that will not trip the cel. I've had members tell me that it works but the exhaust shops I have gone to say no.
The rears are only there to monitor the performance of the cats and are thus totally un-related to the running performance of your engine. Personally, when I do my exhaust I'm going to eliminate the cats altogether (all you green eco tree-huggers can throw stones at me now) and just wire up the capacitor/resistor rear o2 MIL eliminator mod.

If you want to leave the rear o2's, it doesn't matter as long as they are after the cats they will work correctly (the cats are so hot as long as you don't mount them yards away from them, they'll be fine).

~Rick

TCCoA Sig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in