hollow out catalytic converters? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

hollow out catalytic converters?

i got a code pretty much saying i have stuffed up cats. could i just hollow them out? is it damaging to do so?would it work better or worse? my state doesnt have emission test.

air silencer removed, dorman intake manifold,clear corner lights,psp with psp windshield mount,blue led moded gauge cluster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Voice/Data Guru

My state does , Its by county

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
lozer, where are you in NC? Some counties are safety only some have emission testing requirements.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-15-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

im in pasqoutank county, near the obx.

air silencer removed, dorman intake manifold,clear corner lights,psp with psp windshield mount,blue led moded gauge cluster.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozer81 View Post
im in pasqoutank county, near the obx.
Here's your answer:

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_ser...uirements.html

I don't see Pasqoutank county listed, so you're safety only. You could hollow them out. I wouldn't take them off completely just in case someone looks for them.

I'm pretty sure this is the case for you. RobertP could say for certain. You might want to send him a PM to confirm.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 01:23 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
All emissions rules and possible MIL codes aside, it's better to simply remove the cat and replace it with a straight pipe than it is to hollow one out. The hollow chamber you'd create by knocking out the money parts would kill the exhaust velocity.

Now, if you need to keep the converter under there for "looks only" visual inspections, take it down and put an appropriate sized straight pipe through it. Now it's a straight pipe that looks like a cat, keeps the exhaust velocity up, and doesn't sound like poop.

Delete my account.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 02:09 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1997xr7 View Post
take them off..I was running my car on 3 fouled sparkplugs and i actually blewup one catconverter.And since it blew up the car runs smoother than it ever has.
Did you remove or replace the cat that blew up?

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

the code i got was p0420 catalyst system below efficiency threshold (bank 1 ), could that just be a bad 02 sensor? also got p1443.

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 02:49 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
It could also be a clogged ERG.

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 02:50 PM
PostWhore

P1443 is the evap purge flow. Search for it on here and you'll get pages of how-to replacements w/pics

89 Cougar XR-7...slightly modded, 240 rwhp / 340 rwtq, Best time as of 4/22/12 = 13.11 @ 103.82, 1.78 60'
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 09:35 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Thunderbird XX View Post
All emissions rules and possible MIL codes aside, it's better to simply remove the cat and replace it with a straight pipe than it is to hollow one out. The hollow chamber you'd create by knocking out the money parts would kill the exhaust velocity.
Or you could do it the correct way and replace the cat............

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:28 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to tbird_boi82 Send a message via Yahoo to tbird_boi82
I got the same codes over the summer , the cats are shot , i went to three shops each said the same thing . Problem is my car is starting to smoke really bad when im sitting in traffic ,I think my valves stem seals are done I dunno.It only smokes when ive been sitting at idle for a lil bit but once ive drive a lil while it goes away .

97 4.6L
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 06:50 AM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
The P0420 code means your o2 sensor data for bank one is showing the converter isnt doing its job as well as it should be. This could be from bad o2s on that bank, an exhaust leak before the converter, or a bad converter. If you gut that converter, that same code will still be around. You can try to diagnose it or just put on some MIL eliminators.

I built some mil eliminators with instructions found online years ago using stuff from radio shack. We put them on my wifes 97 GT and about once every 6 months I would have to clear out the catalyst efficiency code, so thats not too bad.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 07:21 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
The P0420 code means your o2 sensor data for bank one is showing the converter isnt doing its job as well as it should be. This could be from bad o2s on that bank, an exhaust leak before the converter, or a bad converter. If you gut that converter, that same code will still be around. You can try to diagnose it or just put on some MIL eliminators.

I built some mil eliminators with instructions found online years ago using stuff from radio shack. We put them on my wifes 97 GT and about once every 6 months I would have to clear out the catalyst efficiency code, so thats not too bad.
Did your rear O2 MIL eliminators look like this, Rob?

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 10:35 AM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
Did your rear O2 MIL eliminators look like this, Rob?
I made some...but used a circuit board with screw terminals..

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

okay,one quick question, does the converters in our cars have platinum in them? if im going to replace them with a "test pipe" then i might as well get some cash, someone told me that fords eliminated the use of platinum in the converters and use something else.

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Converters still have platinum in them AFAIK, thats why people were stealing them a couple of years ago.

Netkeym, Those look awesome! Can you give me some info on those? I used circuit boards and soldered the o2 wires directly to the board. If I ever have to make some of these again...I think I will do it your way. The boards were kinda bulky and just wrapped in electrical tape.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]90.54MPH
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 06:23 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozer81 View Post
okay,one quick question, does the converters in our cars have platinum in them? if im going to replace them with a "test pipe" then i might as well get some cash, someone told me that fords eliminated the use of platinum in the converters and use something else.
Quote:
Converters still have platinum in them AFAIK, thats why people were stealing them a couple of years ago.

If you guys are interested see this thread for more info on stolen cats. Thre are more precious metals in cats than just platinum.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=109461

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

hey trunk monkey, how much do you think our converters are worth in scrap? i heard ours are mostly rhodium than platinum,i would guess like 20 bucks seeing how ive seen new ones for sale at 50.

post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 07:11 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Yea, probably $20 or so each. I think the prices of those precious metals have dropped since 2009 when the converters were being stolen. I really can't say for certain; you're going to have to check around where you live. Just make a few phone calls to the local scrap yards. And may be a muffler shop or two.

post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:

Netkeym, Those look awesome! Can you give me some info on those? I used circuit boards and soldered the o2 wires directly to the board. If I ever have to make some of these again...I think I will do it your way. The boards were kinda bulky and just wrapped in electrical tape.
Thank you! Here is the info, the is NOT my circuit so I do wish to give credit to C. Knight:

~Rick

TCCoA Sig

Last edited by NetKeym; 01-03-2011 at 08:40 PM.
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Now that is awesome. This is without a doubt the cleanest, most simple way to make MIL eliminators. You are the man for posting this here.

-Rob
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

looks like im just going to buy new cats, i cant even find a "test pipe" cheap anywhere, i heard that they've outlawed them, ive found some but they were 90 bucks a piece.

apparently the law is crackin down hard on that sort of thing anyways.

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

When you said test pipe, I thought you meant welding in a straight piece of pipe.

-Rob
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:22 PM
PostSlut

Quote:
When you said test pipe, I thought you meant welding in a straight piece of pipe.
i have done that countless times....i then welded the cat shield around it, to make it look like a cat.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 12:24 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird View Post
i have done that countless times....i then welded the cat shield around it, to make it look like a cat.
lol
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 06:01 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Those caps are 10x bigger than the ones in my set; my set used .1uF caps.

I'd use RTV instead of heatshrink; cast it into something.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:45 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
I'd use RTV instead of heatshrink; cast it into something.
Epoxy comes to my mind.

Delete my account.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 11:04 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Thunderbird XX View Post
Epoxy comes to my mind.
Epoxy is hard to remove if something goes wrong; other than that, it works great.

Make sure the wires have some s-bends inside the epoxy/rtv so that water won't wick up the leads.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:28 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
Epoxy is hard to remove if something goes wrong; other than that, it works great.

Make sure the wires have some s-bends inside the epoxy/rtv so that water won't wick up the leads.
Ah, now I remember what I used to use on stuff like this. Hot glue! It seals up non-moving electronic stuff like a breeze, and can actually be removed if needed.

Delete my account.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in