Q: Size of Factory Pipe on 95 Thunderbird LX 3.8L V6 - TCCoA Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore
 
S4gunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SF, CA
Age: 41
Posts: 2,617
Garage
Q: Size of Factory Pipe on 95 Thunderbird LX 3.8L V6

Hi:
I'm wondering if one of you folks knows off the top of your head the size of my current muffler? It's a single pipe in, single pipe out the back...

Q: Is it 2" or 2.5" inlet?

I don't care about the quality or the sound of this exhaust as long as its <95db -- I just need something a little more free flowing than the current factory muffler. Right now, I'm leaning towards the "just throw on a cherry bomb" and be done with it.

Right now, I've got a decent coupon at advance auto so I could use a) clarification on the inlet size of the factory piping and b) recommendation on how long this guy should be as I will be reusing all of my existing exhaust piping (just going to have the rollcage builder tack it on).


My options:
2 inch inlet
Flowtech Red Hots Glass Pack Part No. 50252FLT - $19.99
3.5" inch body width, 24" body length
Dynomax Thrush Glass Pack 24200 - $20.99
4" body width, 28" body length
Dynomax Thrush Glass Pack 24202 - $20.99
3.5" body width, 27" body length

2.5 inch inlet
Dynomax Thrush Glass Pack Mufflers 24214 - $22.99
4" body width, 28" body length

Given the sweetness of the coupon ($50 off $100, one time use), no other mufflers will be considered.
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Regards,
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
S4gunn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 12:28 AM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
NetKeym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
Hi:
I'm wondering if one of you folks knows off the top of your head the size of my current muffler? It's a single pipe in, single pipe out the back...

Q: Is it 2" or 2.5" inlet?

I don't care about the quality or the sound of this exhaust as long as its <95db -- I just need something a little more free flowing than the current factory muffler. Right now, I'm leaning towards the "just throw on a cherry bomb" and be done with it.

Right now, I've got a decent coupon at advance auto so I could use a) clarification on the inlet size of the factory piping and b) recommendation on how long this guy should be as I will be reusing all of my existing exhaust piping (just going to have the rollcage builder tack it on).


My options:
2 inch inlet
Flowtech Red Hots Glass Pack Part No. 50252FLT - $19.99
3.5" inch body width, 24" body length
Dynomax Thrush Glass Pack 24200 - $20.99
4" body width, 28" body length
Dynomax Thrush Glass Pack 24202 - $20.99
3.5" body width, 27" body length

2.5 inch inlet
Dynomax Thrush Glass Pack Mufflers 24214 - $22.99
4" body width, 28" body length

Given the sweetness of the coupon ($50 off $100, one time use), no other mufflers will be considered.
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Regards,
-g
A stock replacement muffler for a 1994 Thunderbird 3.8L has a 2" inlet and 2" outlet. Here is a Walker exhaust system diagram:


~Rick

TCCoA Sig

Last edited by NetKeym; 03-21-2011 at 12:33 AM.
NetKeym is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore
 
S4gunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SF, CA
Age: 41
Posts: 2,617
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
A stock replacement muffler for a 1994 Thunderbird 3.8L has a 2" inlet and 2" outlet. Here is a Walker exhaust system diagram:

I noticed that this pic came from rockauto and I found yet another USE for that awesome retailer.

Thanks for the heads up.
Regards,
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
S4gunn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tinton Falls, NJ
Age: 36
Posts: 7,430
Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
On a 3.8 N/A, I would leave the exhaust alone. You really aren't going to gain anything by putting non-factory exhaust on it, since the 3.8 doesn't flow enough to be a restriction.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
MadMikeyL is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore
 
S4gunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SF, CA
Age: 41
Posts: 2,617
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
On a 3.8 N/A, I would leave the exhaust alone. You really aren't going to gain anything by putting non-factory exhaust on it, since the 3.8 doesn't flow enough to be a restriction.
Well, considering I had a coupon for $50 off $100 @ Advance Auto and the only other item we needed was an oil pressure gauge, the cost of this muffler was $10.28 + tax and that doesn't come out of our Lemons $500 budget.

Furthermore, we'll be paying the rollcage builder enough that cutting the old muffler off and tacking this one on will be minimal if not free.

Maybe it'll flow better. Maybe it'll flows the same. For $50 or more bucks, I'd agree with you and run with what came on the car. For $10-20 all-in, I'm willing to roll the dice.


-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
S4gunn is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome