Exhaust for '91 V6 N/A - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Send a message via AIM to NeedAbirdinVA
Exhaust for '91 V6 N/A

Tried to search but for some reason came up with zip. For those of you who have a 1989-1991 V6 N/A Thunderbird.... what did you do with your exhaust? I had to replace my muffler due to a leak so I just added a cheap Thrush muffler I picked up at Advance. It sound's pretty deep. I would like to run '96 manifolds with SCP down tubes with high flow cats to a 2 1/2" exhaust that would exit right behind the rear wheels. I would be running SLP or Borla mufflers. No resinator. I'm sure it's going to be raspy no matter what I do haha. Any idea's? I can't find any good pics of exhaust setups on '89 to '93 V6 N/A's.

'89 SC 5-speed SCP down tubes,muffler delete [email protected](sold) '94 Rose Mist Lincoln Mark VIII..Custom downtubes,muffler delete,gloss black cougar rims.(Now lives in my '91) '91 Thunderbird
V6 AKA The UnderBird.... cone filter, Custom down tubes to highflow cats,magnaflow muffler to turndowns in the middle of the car(LOUD), Vogtland 1.6 springs, poly bushings, '89 SC seats, '95 bird Sun visors, '95 bird radio, Chrome '97 sport rims with 255/55/16's... [email protected](mid 14's now)(skinnys,removed pass. seat,door panels and center console and advanced timing)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 04:32 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Most of the pictures I've seen here are on V8 Cars, but you get the idea.

The 96-97 tubular manifolds will work, also look into 94-95 SC manifolds if you can find them. People have shown they flow the best.

Can't speak for the mufflers, sounds like you're looking for a little rumble in your thunder! Without a resonator I think it might be a little raspy! 2 1/2 might be a little much for a V6, 2 1/4 might be better.

Side Exhaust picture I borrowed!

Good luck!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011

Last edited by Rodeo Joe; 04-02-2011 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Added link.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 12:01 PM
6th Gear Poster

I have some ported 96-97 manifolds for sale if your interested OP.

'97 Lincoln Mark Viii LSC - Stock
'93 Ford Thunderbird - Splitport & M5r2
'64 Chevrolet Impala SS - Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 05:00 AM
5th Gear Poster

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...ird/Categories there ya' go friend

Beater lx,current mods: cold air,drilled and slotted rotors,glass pack muffler. Scrapped
Teal terror 94...trans slip and a fram air hog filter!
94 Sc :Cobra R hood,96-97 Front lights,3.73 Trac Lok,1" Raised top,5% OD Blower Pulley,CAI,Removed resonator,Gutted cats,No mufflers. "It roams around in a open loop speed density tune. killing small children and raping helpless mothers at night."
....THAT DOES NOT MATTER!....
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

The 89 - 91 cars have the weird gas tanks and exhaust routing can be a pain...have you considered going to the later (92+) gas tank?

2011 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7L HEMI

2001 Volkswagen Beetle GLX 1.8T
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by machausta View Post
The 89 - 91 cars have the weird gas tanks and exhaust routing can be a pain...have you considered going to the later (92+) gas tank?
One limit that's worth remembering - the 92+ tanks are 1 gallon less than the 89-91 tanks are.

OTOH, I'd rather have the straighter run of exhaust personally.

Just a note ...

RwP
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
exhaust

I might change the gas tank... I almost did that with my last SC. My '91 is a daily driver though so I'm not sure if I want to do that or not. I do want to put on ported manifolds. I would like to spend most of my money on my '89 SC.

'89 SC 5-speed SCP down tubes,muffler delete [email protected](sold) '94 Rose Mist Lincoln Mark VIII..Custom downtubes,muffler delete,gloss black cougar rims.(Now lives in my '91) '91 Thunderbird
V6 AKA The UnderBird.... cone filter, Custom down tubes to highflow cats,magnaflow muffler to turndowns in the middle of the car(LOUD), Vogtland 1.6 springs, poly bushings, '89 SC seats, '95 bird Sun visors, '95 bird radio, Chrome '97 sport rims with 255/55/16's... [email protected](mid 14's now)(skinnys,removed pass. seat,door panels and center console and advanced timing)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 01:34 PM

My V6 was a '94 but I ran a setup with a Flowmaster 80 mounted behind the rear axle and dual 2.5"pipes exiting behind wheels. That really wasn't a great sound and that setup was replaced with a dual Flowmaster 40 setup out the back, 2.5". Resonator removed for both setups. The dual 40s made the most difference in performance and sound.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
I had flowmasters on my '90 SC and thought it sounded nice...was a little raspy sometimes. I have a cheap Thrush muffler on my '91 3.8 bird right now and I still can't believe how good it sounds. Hope to put a 5.0 in her one day but right now I'm working on getting my '89 SC on the road.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in