Need new exahust on a 96 4.6 bird but dont know which way to go.... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Need new exahust on a 96 4.6 bird but dont know which way to go....

Alright so I've got one more big repair to do on my t-bird and that is the exhaust. Currently if I really get on the gas, it will start to smell like rotten eggs, so I know the cats are bad, so I'm thinking of getting these:

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...EXHAUST/Detail

If I do get these,what do you think I should replace in addition? The stock mufflers are still in good condition, but would it be cheap enough of even beneficial to replace them? I've never done anything to exhaust other than replacing a muffler and dont have any special bending tools either so I'm hoping for a quick bolt on setup. Any input would be very helpful and appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
You'll need 2.5" mufflers to fit the 2.5" pipes. Don't go "cheap" on mufflers. There are decent mufflers out there that can be had for a reasonable price.

You'll also need the back half of that kit.

See this thread for what others have done.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=118883

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thanks for your input and I did previously read that thread before posting(as well as almost every other exhaust thread related to the 4.6 tbird), but all the links on that thread are dead so I cant see what would be a good full setup. If you could let me know what all would be required to replace, I'd really really appreciate it. I love the t-bird but hate that rotten smell when i try to enjoy the wonderful pickup of these beasts, so I've gotta get those cats replaced at the bare minimum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

would it be something like this:

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...-TUBING/Detail

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...EXHAUST/Detail

then some O2 sensors and mufflers? I noticed they have two different X pipe setups, is one better than the other one? Are there any suggestions on O2 sensors or is Ford OEM recommended? Also, any good suggestions on mufflers? I dont need a loud sound, in fact id love for it to remain quiet unless im really getting on it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
They sell the front half, just their x-pipe, the back half and a back half for the 3.8s.

You will need the front half, back half, mufflers then some extra clamps and some universal hangers. You can refer to the pictures I posted in the main thread for reference if you like. I refused to take the car to an exhaust shop to do the installation and initially the kit they sent didn't fit, so after some correspondence they modified the front section to work better. Only after that was I able to do the installation on my own. If you get the kit, make sure they send you the modified system. Supposedly that's what they're sending out now, but I'm not sure.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Boost!!!

Cool

we will find out in a few weeks wont we

Blake

1996 thunderbird lx (the silver slut)
http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=387

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in