Code 0430 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Code 0430

Is it most likely cat or o2 sensor? I am also going to try cleaning the maf. Which o2 sensor exactly would it be if I needed to replace it. Is it hard to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 01:09 PM
PostWhore

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...ighlight=p0156
Seems like the drivers side cat isn't working very well.

I love my V8, but I'd love it more if all 8 cylinders worked. (they do now)

My T-bird is like George Jetson's wife, you try to give her a little money, she takes the whole wallet.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 01:58 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Project-bird View Post
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...ighlight=p0156
Seems like the drivers side cat isn't working very well.
I wonder if a leaky injector could cause that.. might be a good idea to pull and read the plugs on that side, maybe.

Just a thought.

I learn more about cars every day!
I do it just because I still want to know HOW and WHY!!! Quit learning=die. Be informed as to WHAT, rather than learn,=brain-dead already.
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Code came back. Does anyone have an answer to my original question? Thanks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 04:43 PM
4th Gear Poster

Check this link maybe it can help you
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0430

PACO.
I wish I can have enough time and money to work on my thunder.
------------------------------------------------------------------
“The phoenix hope, can wing her way through the desert skies, and still defying fortune's spite; revive from ashes and rise.”
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 05:34 PM
6th Gear Poster

Have you ever used a car forum before?

Here's how it works:
You give as much info as you can.. including at least recent history, no matter you think it pertains or not.

Somebody suggests a step to troubleshoot your problem at least say if you did that or not. Dont just ignore it.

When you find a problem or find you were wrong in stating that problem, you note it where you mentioned it.

First you complained about a misfire and a blown head gasket.. how'd that come out? If you had those.. or symptoms pointing to that... and it was on the same bank, that might explain a damaged cat.

Your move..we aint mind readers. I suggest you read the effin plugs, dont forget to keep track where each was.

I do it just because I still want to know HOW and WHY!!! Quit learning=die. Be informed as to WHAT, rather than learn,=brain-dead already.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettyfog View Post
Have you ever used a car forum before?

Here's how it works:
You give as much info as you can.. including at least recent history, no matter you think it pertains or not.

Somebody suggests a step to troubleshoot your problem at least say if you did that or not. Dont just ignore it.

When you find a problem or find you were wrong in stating that problem, you note it where you mentioned it.

First you complained about a misfire and a blown head gasket.. how'd that come out? If you had those.. or symptoms pointing to that... and it was on the same bank, that might explain a damaged cat.

Your move..we aint mind readers. I suggest you read the effin plugs, dont forget to keep track where each was.
Thanks for the advice. No thanks for the snarky attitude. Not necessary. Since you took the time to go through my post history to see I posted about a misfire, you should have looked a little harder to see that this is not even the same car. The info on the left doesn't even show the same engine as the one from the misfire post. I simply asked if the code is more likely to be a cat or an o2 sensor.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:30 PM
6th Gear Poster

Let's start over.
the purpose of the downstream O2 is to check on how the cat is working, right? So yours is reporting that the cat isnt working well.
now if it is the same sensor as is used upstream, which the parts guide says it is then what do you think the chances of a bad sensor is vs a damaged cat? Why not find out by swapping the Front and back.. or the two backs? Or you could just replace the sensor.

Pro.. at best you fix, at the least you'll have a spare
Con.. ate money that could have been used to fix what's really wrong.

And if the cat is degraded something caused it, it did not just wear out. The cat might not be operating efficiently because of uneven mixtures. Obviously you dont get an uneven mixture from a dirty MAF. But someone DID suggest a leaky {or maybe a clogged} injector COULD cause something like that, right?

Now I've told you what I think... AGAIN.. I'm done. Good luck with it.

Maybe someone here has a magic wand they will loan you so you only have to talk about the problem and then say an incantation.. who knows what works in the New AGE scheme of things.

We'll leave it to everyone else as to who has the attitude.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 12:51 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettyfog View Post
Let's start over.
the purpose of the downstream O2 is to check on how the cat is working, right? So yours is reporting that the cat isnt working well.
now if it is the same sensor as is used upstream, which the parts guide says it is then what do you think the chances of a bad sensor is vs a damaged cat? Why not find out by swapping the Front and back.. or the two backs? Or you could just replace the sensor.

Pro.. at best you fix, at the least you'll have a spare
Con.. ate money that could have been used to fix what's really wrong.

And if the cat is degraded something caused it, it did not just wear out. The cat might not be operating efficiently because of uneven mixtures. Obviously you dont get an uneven mixture from a dirty MAF. But someone DID suggest a leaky {or maybe a clogged} injector COULD cause something like that, right?

Now I've told you what I think... AGAIN.. I'm done. Good luck with it.

Maybe someone here has a magic wand they will loan you so you only have to talk about the problem and then say an incantation.. who knows what works in the New AGE scheme of things.

We'll leave it to everyone else as to who has the attitude.
Just for the record, to swap front to back (if it's still factory), you have to trim the guides off the harness for the sensor. Aftermarket ones don't have guides so they can be used anywhere. I just did this the other day.

I love my V8, but I'd love it more if all 8 cylinders worked. (they do now)

My T-bird is like George Jetson's wife, you try to give her a little money, she takes the whole wallet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in