suggestions on exhaust - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

suggestions on exhaust

well guys ive finally gotten everything right with the bird as far as maintenance goes. so this weekend im going to the exhaust shop but wanted some suggestions on the setup im thinking about. im thinking about doing what the exhaust articles says is a good setup 3" to 2.5 Duals. i just wanted to run it by you guys before i did it. and no im not going with Rustmasters!!!!!

And the bird is a 4.6L

All suggestions are welcome

1997 Thunderbird 4.6L
New paint on tops, Magnaflow high flow cat system and custom 2 - 2 1/2 Exhaust ,J-Mod and P.I. head and intake swap(performed by RobertP @ www.RobsTireAndAuto.com ) Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Mark VIII TC, AEM dry flow air filter, Blacked out tail lights and custom painted headlights (performed by my wife) tuned by DON at http://www.lasotaracing.com/

waiting to hear theses kooks

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/391835...rd-lx-coupe-2d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Well... a lot of us here run the 2.5" dual setup from Mandrel Exhaust Systems (trubendz). There's a long thread about it with videos and sound clips in the parts for sale section titled "mandrel bent exhaust".

EDIT: In fact, it looks like one of the mods edited the title and stickied it. It's now "Mandrel Exhaust Systems" and it's the second sticky in the parts for sale section.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Kind of slapped together

Suggestion? Take the Mandrel Exhaust System system, but swap the X pipe for a DIDO muffler (a good one). Have the shop weld all THAT up, but use straight extensions where the rear mufflers should go, not welded, but clamped on.

That'll be loud at first, but you can tune it easily by clamping on a Dynomax this week - don't like that? Thrush glass packs next week, then a set of Borlas, etc.

RwP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

so the 3 to 2.5" setup is no good or now that they make a true dual set up that would be the way to go.

1997 Thunderbird 4.6L
New paint on tops, Magnaflow high flow cat system and custom 2 - 2 1/2 Exhaust ,J-Mod and P.I. head and intake swap(performed by RobertP @ www.RobsTireAndAuto.com ) Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Mark VIII TC, AEM dry flow air filter, Blacked out tail lights and custom painted headlights (performed by my wife) tuned by DON at http://www.lasotaracing.com/

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

The duel exhaust system is better thats not to say that the other set up is bad

Will

The Texas Green Bird (An undeveloped work of art.)
92 Thunderbird Sport 5.0: Sold

91 gt, 5.0 73mm turbo, 5spd, 373s, and much more
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 AM
Kind of slapped together

No good? Won't say that - there's advantages and disadvantages to it.

The true dual is what I'd opt for, ayep, but that's because I'm an old geezer and have a knee-jerk reaction It's not based on any science.

RwP
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Cool thanks guys im going to look into true duals but only for the right price. My guy at the shop was saying that he could do the 3"-2.5 setup for $215. So if i can get the duals for the same or little bit more I'll go for the dual.

1997 Thunderbird 4.6L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in