Check it out- New Exhaust Dumps - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Check it out- New Exhaust Dumps

So here's the exhaust setup I'm going with on my '95 LX build. I wanted some nascar-style but Dr. Gas and others only sell the boom tubes in mild steel and I wanted to use stainless.
After doing a few 3D solid models on the computer machine, I came up with this design. They're 24" on the long side and 10.96" on the opening.

I emailed the DXF to our local water jet guy then bent them in a brake. I'm headed out today to TIG up all the baffles & cans. You're all probably wondering why there isn't a funnel shape going to 2" pipe. There will be soon. I was just too lazy to model it, but, yea it's coming.

http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m571/Triston30/

Enjoy!

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6L, T45
1989 Thunderbird SC 3.8L..... SOLD
1964 Falcon HT 302/C4
1984 Girlfriend, Low Miles

You don't tear off your knuckles writing a check every month!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Veteran Poster

Nice! What are you going to do regarding fuel tank heat shielding though?

1997 Laser Red Thunderbird LX V8, grey cloth, third cat replaced with X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1's, 2.25" duals, (loud as all hell)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Nice! and BladeRunner beat me to the question. Nice 03/04 Cobra's too I love the way they look on a bird

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Veteran Poster

Wicked! This was one of my original ideas for an exhaust system. I was wanting it to exit out both sides before the rear wheels. Post pics when finished and let us know how you got around to heat shielding the gas tank.

---Jeremy
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 05:33 AM
Veteran Poster

Didn't Slidebird melt his fuel tank with a setup like that?

1997 Laser Red Thunderbird LX V8, grey cloth, third cat replaced with X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1's, 2.25" duals, (loud as all hell)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runner View Post
Didn't Slidebird melt his fuel tank with a setup like that?
yea,but with proper heat sheilding im sure he'd be fine

ex http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/pr...al-barriers/21 or spray it with http://www.thermotec.com/products/12...t-coating.html and the apply one of the products above to the dump outs and the gas tank or what ever fits your fancy but heat sheilding is a must

Beater lx,current mods: cold air,drilled and slotted rotors,glass pack muffler. Scrapped
Teal terror 94...trans slip and a fram air hog filter!
94 Sc :Cobra R hood,96-97 Front lights,3.73 Trac Lok,1" Raised top,5% OD Blower Pulley,CAI,Removed resonator,Gutted cats,No mufflers. "It roams around in a open loop speed density tune. killing small children and raping helpless mothers at night."
....THAT DOES NOT MATTER!....
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Even with heat shielding I'd be nervous about that setup, I'm pretty sure slidebird mentioned he used heat sheilding on his. For some piece of mind I'd maybe use a steel gen II mark VIII tank to eliminate the melt factor at least.

-Matt
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks for the positive comments guys!!

Well, I decided early on that if I wanted to do this type of exhaust I'd be pulling the gas tank to make room. We're going to cut the rocker and box it in with sheet metal and then cut a rectangle hole in the SC body kit; We're also putting a fuel cell in the trunk. It's turning into "if you want to do this, you need to do that... and to do that, you need to do this first..." and where does it end?!

Since the car has been down for new white paint last fall (Ford PW white), I've decided to go ahead and do all the goodies I've been dreaming of... double din DVD, T45 swap, tint, PBR/bolt pattern swap, wheels & tires, custom exhaust...

It's a lot of work and money, but believe me- there was not one MN12 at the last car show here last summer. I hope you guys don't get the impression I'm some wealthy a**hole with nothing better to spend his money on... I work full time as an engineering technician while going to school full time and paying cash for classes. I work my F*ing butt off to support my cars and education. I'm very, very fortunate to have my old man that loves me and lets me use his milling machine anytime I like. (shifter extension box).

Back to the subject though, I think I'll need to put in a set of those Summit universal air bags to keep the rear from squatting with a full fuel cell.
I'm thinking I can re-use the OE in-tank pump in the FC. If anyone has been down this road, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks again for looking and commenting guys!
Triston

And thanks a lot to N8tiveJuggalo17, aka Jeremy for giving me a killer deal on the Eibachs. He honored his word and sent me the springs asap! Thanks for the drop bro!
Triston

1964 Falcon HT 302/C4

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 05-28-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Merge posts
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triston View Post
It's turning into "if you want to do this, you need to do that... and to do that, you need to do this first..." and where does it end?!

Since the car has been down for new white paint last fall (Ford PW white)

It's a lot of work and money, but believe me- there was not one MN12 at the last car show here last summer. I hope you guys don't get the impression I'm some wealthy a**hole with nothing better to spend his money on... I work full time as an engineering technician while going to school full time and paying cash for classes. I work my F*ing butt off to support my cars and education. I'm very, very fortunate to have my old man that loves me and lets me use his milling machine anytime I like. (shifter extension box).

Triston
1. It never ends.

2. That sucks your going to cut into fresh paint. Nice work you ve been doing.

3. Thats ok even if you were a rich @sshole at least you have good taste. If I was a rich @sshole Id spend all my money on my bird and my kid

Will

The Texas Green Bird (An undeveloped work of art.)
92 Thunderbird Sport 5.0: Sold

91 gt, 5.0 73mm turbo, 5spd, 373s, and much more
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Resident drifter

If you run heat shielding you should be fine. Mine came off and It was an exceptionally hot day, which is why the tank melted. The fuel cell is the best option. Thats what I'm doing. Looks cool though.

-steve
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
And thanks a lot to N8tiveJuggalo17, aka Jeremy for giving me a killer deal on the Eibachs. He honored his word and sent me the springs asap! Thanks for the drop bro!
Triston
No problem bro! Glad i could help out, Just keep modding and loving the t-bird like its a child! lol jk. Good luck with future mods, Take care!

---Jeremy
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

It's been a while but the exhaust is finally coming together! I'm still planning on doing a heat shield on the side skirts so they don't melt.

Didn't have a very up-close pic but I'll get more up in the next day or two.

Thanks for looking-
Triston

1964 Falcon HT 302/C4

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 12:57 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
It's been a while but the exhaust is finally coming together! I'm still planning on doing a heat shield on the side skirts so they don't melt.

Didn't have a very up-close pic but I'll get more up in the next day or two.

Thanks for looking-
Triston
hey,if you'd wanna make another set for less than the dr.gass pice i'd be interested

Beater lx,current mods: cold air,drilled and slotted rotors,glass pack muffler. Scrapped
94 Sc :Cobra R hood,96-97 Front lights,3.73 Trac Lok,1" Raised top,5% OD Blower Pulley,CAI,Removed resonator,Gutted cats,No mufflers. "It roams around in a open loop speed density tune. killing small children and raping helpless mothers at night."
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I don't remember what Dr. Gas costs but I was $200 in water-jetting/materials. That's before a few hours on the TIG. I'll take a look at Dr. gas later tonight.

Triston

1964 Falcon HT 302/C4

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Nice work Triston. If I'm ever out your way I'll give you a shout. I had worked there about two years ago. I know the area pretty well. That's some beautiful country out there.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks Trunk-
I saw your post about staying at the Richland Holiday Inn when you were in town last (2009?). I wasn't on TCCoA at the time, but I can see the Richland Holiday Inn from my house.

Let me know when you're coming through town next. We'll take my bird out for a ride (and maybe a local watering hole).

Triston

1964 Falcon HT 302/C4

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:40 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
I don't remember what Dr. Gas costs but I was $200 in water-jetting/materials. That's before a few hours on the TIG. I'll take a look at Dr. gas later tonight.

Triston
alright bro,thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in