Other Long-Tubes? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Other Long-Tubes?

I've been curious about using Mustang 4.6L long-tubes for a while now. I can see how the MACs and others like them would need alterations for cylinders 7 & 8 tubes (driver's rear). Those back tubes look like they are bent too close to the engine and end up being in (or close to) the space that the steering shaft occupies.

You would think that header designs having the rear tubes bending further from the engine should allow adequate clearance. I've seen some long-tubes that look different from the MAC style. Summit offers a few that look to be built from the same jig, sold by Hedman and Flowtech. PaceSetter has a coated one that looks the same but their non-coated version looks closer to the MACs.

Flowtech 12155FLT 1-5/8"

Flowtech 12155-1FLT 1-5/8" Ceramic Coated

Hedman 88690 1-1/2" to 1-5/8" Stepped

PaceSetter 72C3230 1-5/8" Ceramic Coated

The EGR pipe would have to be addressed in any of the above. Hedman is the only one that lists their header as having tubes 7 & 8 being a slip fit.

Has anyone ever tried fitting these? And for those of you who have installed Kooks headers, what are your thoughts on using something like these? Does the #6 tube look too close?

Thanks.

92 Sport -5.0L
Rolling on 17s, long tubes and a "To-Do" list
97 Sport -4.6L
Rolling on 17s, SOLD but not forgotten
15 Scat Pack -M6
Rolling on 20s... like that means something

------------------------
Non-Official Parts Hoarder
Cars, guitars, cigars, etc.

Last edited by Allan; 03-09-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Pypes, which are clones of MAC but in SS, would be a possible source as well. Big thing to keep in mind is floor clearance. MACs fit MN12s because they sit relatively far below the floor on Mustangs, they're a squeeze on these cars.

-Matt
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
CableguyJJS3 installed a set of the MAC longtubes on his bird, and he only had to re-route the cyl#8 tube. Here is his thread

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=133912

If I was looking to install headers on a 4.6, that is probably what I would do. If you want to see if any will bolt right in, my reccomendation would be to go on craigslist and buy a few used sets to play with, that way if something doesn't fit, you can re-sell the headers and not be out much money.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
... Big thing to keep in mind is floor clearance. MACs fit MN12s because they sit relatively far below the floor on Mustangs, they're a squeeze on these cars.
If the 5.0L versions are any indication, they are a squeeze. At least my Fox body MAC headers are on my '92 Sport. No ground clearence issues with them, due to being right up against the floor. MaddMartigan ran into the floor clearance issue with his '93. And CableguyJJS3's collector flanges look real close if they're not already touching the floor.

92 Sport -5.0L
97 Sport -4.6L
15 Scat Pack -M6

------------------------
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 09:40 AM
PostSlut

i hammered my floor a little.

along with the steering mod.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL

Last edited by _95badbird; 03-09-2012 at 09:48 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
If I was looking to install headers on a 4.6, that is probably what I would do. If you want to see if any will bolt right in, my reccomendation would be to go on craigslist and buy a few used sets to play with, that way if something doesn't fit, you can re-sell the headers and not be out much money.
I was thinking of trying out a pair of Flowtech 12155FLT's. Or the Hedman 88690 because they're only 1-1/2" O.D. at the beginning. My thinking is that the 7 & 8 tubes should clear. And the slip fitment for those two should make the install slightly easier, maybe? As I look at these pics, I wonder now if the 5 & 6 tubes would be a problem.

When I prepared for the 5.0 header swap, I ordered two different sets of long-tubes from Summit that looked like they'd work. Neither came close during install time, so I returned them (I managed not to scratch them). I went with MACs because one of the older members installed a pair a while back, so I knew they would fit (even though he used offset rack bushings).

That's the problem, I won't know what will fit until the car is ripped apart. We know that Kooks will fit. We know that MACs will fit with some modification to the #8 tube.

The cheapest I could find used Flowtechs were for $200. $300 new from Summit might be worth it if I can return them if they don't fit.

92 Sport -5.0L
97 Sport -4.6L
15 Scat Pack -M6

------------------------
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird View Post
i hammered my floor a little.

along with the steering mod.
Nothing wrong with a BFH.

I Dremelled one or both of the flanges where they met the floor. I forget, it's been so long. I might have taken 1/8" off. It would have been nice to have had normal 3-bolt collector flanges that rotated.

I also downloaded the Mustang installation manuals for two of the above headers. Should be interesting.

92 Sport -5.0L
97 Sport -4.6L
15 Scat Pack -M6

------------------------
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 03:14 PM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Nothing wrong with a BFH.

I Dremelled one or both of the flanges where they met the floor. I forget, it's been so long. I might have taken 1/8" off. It would have been nice to have had normal 3-bolt collector flanges that rotated.

I also downloaded the Mustang installation manuals for two of the above headers. Should be interesting.
my headers were free, and i cut the 3 bolt flange off, and welded a slip fit type tube on mine.......budget racing at its best!

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in