cat question - TCCoA Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: oroville CA
Age: 33
Posts: 144
cat question

if a car from another state comes to california an has federal emissions an the cats go bad would you have to replace them with ca cats or federal cats just got to thinking about it an was wondering

Last edited by 87fubar; 05-21-2012 at 03:24 PM.
87fubar is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 03:33 PM
MA Chapter Director

Rodeo Joe's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Franklin, MA
Age: 62
Posts: 7,928
Might try checking local laws.


It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
Rodeo Joe is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
dDUBb's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nor-Cal
Age: 38
Posts: 4,121
They dont need to be OBD2 certified unless its an OBD2 vehicle. If its your 91, you should be able to use any cat , but the certified ones have more material inside and are more efficient- depends if youre having an exhaust shop do the welding, some of them comply with state procedures ( documenting the carb number on the cat ) .. others just weld it on.
dDUBb is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 12:31 AM
Seasoned PostWhore
Rob's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hubbard, TX
Age: 37
Posts: 3,902
Send a message via AIM to Rob
Here in TX we just weld it on. When Cali emissions cars come in with clogged cats, we have to use an OBD2 converter, otherwise the catalyst monitors will be tripped.

RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
Rob is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 09:41 PM
4th Gear Poster
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 320
I think you can get away with what-ever emmissions devices were originally on your car. Otherwise a majority of cars would need to be modified to fit CA stringent standards. But, I would check to be safe.
Asapientmachine is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome