pipe through stock cats - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

pipe through stock cats

I've searched and searched, but still have a question. I have a 97 4.6 & I wanna drop the exhaust this weekend in order to put pipes though the two front cats. Not looking for anything fancy & the goal is to look completely stock. (In a dream world, I would just run true duals, but I am about as broke as you can be). Anyway, the cats look like there is a bend in them, but I honestly can't tell with everything hooked up. Is it possible, after gutting the cats, to just put a pipe right through them?

Of course, MIL eliminators will be next. I don't want to drop the whole exhaust system just to find out that I will have to hook it up without actually accomplishing anything lol.

Cats are clogged, this is my motive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Mods, I wasn't thinking. Prolly should have posted in "exhaust"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
You may as well just gut them and be done with it if this is your best option. There's big disadvantages due to turbulance but I can't imagine jamming a pipe that will fit the ID of the stock pipes will be any better, especially for the work involved

-Matt
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Kind of slapped together

And for the money to actually do the work of piping them, not much more and you've got new cats and a front pipe set.

Checking RockAuto for a 1997 4.6, I find this listing: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=5808

That's what I'd be saving up for if I were you, anyway. Unless you have a welder and know how to use it (neither of which are true for me!), in which case I'd suggest buying some straight pipe for now to cut and replace the cats, and then replacing THAT when you can afford to as soon as possible.

RwP
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Yee haw! Look at all these universal non-catalytic converters. I remember someone posting this on here before, so I had to do it again!

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/index...0008322d899d9f

This will take care of the turbulence problem since it already has a pipe going through it, but now you will be letting the heavier, unburnt parts of the gasoline just go into the air. You will pass visual inspection, but a sniffer test will probably catch you! You also will still have to have custom down pipes made to get these to fit an mn12. I used to have a universal cat on one side of my 92 LS.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Yee haw! Look at all these universal non-catalytic converters. I remember someone posting this on here before, so I had to do it again!

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/index...0008322d899d9f

This will take care of the turbulence problem since it already has a pipe going through it, but now you will be letting the heavier, unburnt parts of the gasoline just go into the air. You will pass visual inspection, but a sniffer test will probably catch you! You also will still have to have custom down pipes made to get these to fit an mn12. I used to have a universal cat on one side of my 92 LS.
LOL. Why would you even bother? You can pass a visual, but there is absolutely NO sniffer test you could pass with that thing. Are there states and/or counties out there that do ONLY visual for emissions? I guess to pass an inspection station you MIGHT need these like in Maine where there is no emissions testing.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Kind of slapped together

Technically, in Louisiana, they're supposed to do a visual.

I think there's a shop in Gonzales, LA that actually does ...

RwP
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 02:56 PM
5th Gear Poster

I'm so glad we don't have to deal with vehicle inspections for emissions in Arkansas. It blew hardcore when I lived in Cali.

If you can't hear it before you see it...what's the point?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
LOL. Why would you even bother? You can pass a visual, but there is absolutely NO sniffer test you could pass with that thing. Are there states and/or counties out there that do ONLY visual for emissions? I guess to pass an inspection station you MIGHT need these like in Maine where there is no emissions testing.
Seems like they would only be feasible if they were installed downstream of the front cats like Mustangs or our 3rd. That would be the only way I could see passing the visual and sniffer tests with those.

-Matt
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
It would pass visual in my area with these placed in front of the downstream sensors. In dallas/houston/other areas they do a sniffer test, where you would probably fail.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to hrdfrntr95
hmmmmm........might have to look into these "NON CATS"......mine r junk and i really dont wana replace with stock cats.......so either these or high flo cats are in order
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I guess I'll just do high-flows, gotta get the $ in order first

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in