Muffler placement - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to FLPNDBRD
Muffler placement

I know muffler placement can make a world of difference for exhaust note. Mustangs mufflers are under the middle of the car. That makes about 4 more feet for the exhaust note to travel through. I heard a mustang with 50s on it and I loved it. Im thingking about putting some 50s in the stock locations but exit the tips on opposite sides. So that gives me about 2 to 3 feet of pipe for the sound to travel through before exit. What do yall think?

You Gon Learn Today.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 05:48 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
Interesting idea. While I believe it won't be worth the hassle, I am in favor of saying "try it out and see.....then let us know".

Keep in mind that the stock muffs in the stock MN12 location are fairly short...then figure that really sharp bend that the stock pipes make in order to arrive at the muff's inlet. Not a ton of room there to work with unless you position the mufflers in another fashion beside fore/aft.

Delete my account.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

It wont flow very well. I wouldnt do it but as Kim said try it out.

Will

The Texas Green Bird (An undeveloped work of art.)
92 Thunderbird Sport 5.0: Sold

91 gt, 5.0 73mm turbo, 5spd, 373s, and much more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Thunderbird XX View Post
Keep in mind that the stock muffs in the stock MN12 location are fairly short...then figure that really sharp bend that the stock pipes make in order to arrive at the muff's inlet. Not a ton of room there to work with unless you position the mufflers in another fashion beside fore/aft.
Yall make some good points. Something to think about. A friend of mine gets his exhaust done on his donks from this mexican guy at his house and he's good. You just gotta bring him the materials. Maybe he could figure something out. Turn the mufflers sideways (parallel to the rear bumpers) or something. Oh well.

You Gon Learn Today.....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLPNDBRD View Post
Yall make some good points. Something to think about. A friend of mine gets his exhaust done on his donks from this mexican guy at his house and he's good. You just gotta bring him the materials. Maybe he could figure something out. Turn the mufflers sideways (parallel to the rear bumpers) or something. Oh well.
You know, if you really, Really, REALLY want your car to sound like a Mustang - sell the 'bird and get a Mustang!

The chassis is longer, it will affect exhaust tone by that alone. The placement of the mufflers is different, that affects it also. The bends of the pipes are different, that affects it also.

All in all, if John Smith down the street has a 2003 Mustang GT 4.6 3V that sounds exactly like you want, you need a 2003 Mustang GT 4.6 3V with the exact same mods he has. And it STILL may not sound EXACTLY like his.

RwP
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 03:37 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
You know, if you really, Really, REALLY want your car to sound like a Mustang - sell the 'bird and get a Mustang!

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post

The chassis is longer, it will affect exhaust tone by that alone. The placement of the mufflers is different, that affects it also. The bends of the pipes are different, that affects it also.

All in all, if John Smith down the street has a 2003 Mustang GT 4.6 3V that sounds exactly like you want, you need a 2003 Mustang GT 4.6 3V with the exact same mods he has. And it STILL may not sound EXACTLY like his.

RwP
Round of applause for Captain Obvious

You Gon Learn Today.....
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
"Ok so I have a vintage Marshall amp, a Celestion/JBL cab, MXR effects and a Frankensteined strat. How come I don't sound like Eddie Van Halen???"

/end Captain Metaphor

-Matt
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 07:54 AM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
I had flowmaster 50s in the stock locations a few years ago with very short pipes with tips coming out the back. They were expensive, quiet, and scraped on everything. They really do transfer less noise inside the car, less than a 40 series for sure. I hacked them off and threw them in the scrap when I got my magnaflow. Magnaflow with x just makes too much sense to not do

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I've heard a couple magnaflow mufflers on a tbird and they all sounded really quiet.. Idk maybe they just put magnaflows on the stock exhaust but it was barely louder than stock. I assume with a full 2.5 in exhaust system it would be louder.. I hope.. Maybe someone has some exhaust clips of theirs..

To the OP, Someone here has done a camaro like set up where both pipes run through one big muffler and this gives it a little extra pipe to flow through before coming out the back.. might want to look into that..

Edit here it is.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6JD-ht4XHo

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479

Last edited by Tbird1997; 06-04-2012 at 04:42 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 01:19 AM
Veteran Poster

My SLP Loudmouths are mid-mounted.....

1997 Laser Red Thunderbird LX V8, grey cloth, third cat replaced with X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1's, 2.25" duals, (loud as all hell)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runner View Post
My SLP Loudmouths are mid-mounted.....
I love the loudmouths. Do you have pictures of your set up?

Edit: Nvm I found someone that has.... http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...hlight=muffler

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479

Last edited by Tbird1997; 06-07-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in