Added to dual exhaust and lost power? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Added to dual exhaust and lost power?

I have been running two high flow cats off the manifolds straight into an X and then dumped. Been running this set up for a while. Anyway yesterday I decided to add the mid pipes in that go around the gas tank and dump right after the diff to get rid of some of the interior noise. Well it worked great BUT it seems like I have lost substantial power in the 2k to 3200-ish rpm level. Is that normal? It doesn't seem like a few extra bends would make that much of a difference.. 3200 rpm and up seems the same as before tho.

I feel like I should check the pipes and make sure there isn't anything in there clogging it up.. Maybe it's just me?

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Its not the bends if the acceleration on the top end is the same as before. Airflow, and thus exhaust flow will positively correlate with power.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Pipes to big and your losing mid range torque?

-Daniel

My driving is a constant struggle between wanting good gas mileage and driving like I'm Mario Andretti.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=134659&page=4

1997 Pacific Green Thunderbird LX- Stock 201xxx miles Daily Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

The pipes shouldn't be too big its only 2.5 inch. I mean I noticed a big improvement over the 2 1/4 pipe(s).

I've read some articles of scavenging in the exhaust... I can't remember exactly how it works but maybe when I added those extra pipes I moved part of the power band up farther? Idk I thought someone might know about this more than I would.

-Patrick

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 12:05 AM
PostWhore

I had a 85 5.0 Stang and one night at Music City raceway doing test and tune we decided pull the mufflers off and run with the h-pipe alone and after 3 runs it lost almost a half second . Then we replaced them and brought the time back we figure it needed that little bit of back pressure .....wierd

Jason H.
Mods:
Exterior- Paint, grill, trim, SHO wheels
Power train- 4.6 cat back w/ muffler delete 2"I.D. tips , Taylor Pro Series plug wires, intake silencer delete

Photographs http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/jh...?sort=4&page=1
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Well I have heard of that before. Mufflers will have a larger impact on hp numbers than you think. That's pretty significant tho at almost half a second. Here's a link to a thread I started a while ago about different mufflers and their flow numbers.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=137530

-Patrick

Last edited by Tbird1997; 06-14-2012 at 12:10 AM.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Exhaust Savenging

Might be useful to some of you guys looking into a new exhaust system...

Quote:
There is a common misconception that engines need backpressure in order to run properly, generate low end torque, etc. That is simply untrue. Backpressure is a bad thing. Always. Take a look at a top fuel dragster...how much backpressure do you think those zoomie headers make? Very little, and those engines produce 6500 hp.

So, what is backpressure? Any fluid flowing through a pipe experiences drag on the walls of the pipe. This depends on a number of factors, including the diameter of the pipe, the smoothness of the inside of the pipe, the viscosity of the fluid, and the velocity of the fluid. This drag results in a pressure drop through the pipe. In order for the fluid to flow at all, the pressure on one end of the pipe must be higher than at the other. In an exhaust system, that pressure drop is what we refer to as backpressure. It's pretty obvious that the engine has to produce this pressure differential, so the less power it has to spend making pressure to push the exhaust out, the more power it can send to the wheels.

Given that exhaust pipes are pretty smooth, and that we can't change the viscosity (thickness) of the waste gas being forced through the pipes, we are left with basically 2 parameters we can have any control over: The pipe diameter and the gas velocity.

Unfortunately, the pipe diameter controls the gas velocity since the volume of gas is prescribed by the engine. So, we really only have one thing we can change. So, bigger pipes allow less pressure drop for a given volume of gas because the velocity is lower. The pressure drop (backpressure increase) is proportional the gas velocity squared, so if I double the gas velocity (by reducing the cross sectional area of the exhaust pipe by half) then I quadruple the pressure drop.

Well, there's an easy solution for that: Just make the exhaust pipe bigger. Bigger pipe, lower gas velocity, less pressure drop, so less backpressure. Wow, that was easy. After all, this is the way it's done for basically any type of commercial plumbing system. Need less pressure drop on a chilled water pipe or a natural gas line? Just make the pipe bigger.

But wait, there's a problem....Having a huge exhaust pipe has killed my low end torque!!! What's different? Oh, there's no backpressure!! Therefore backpressure makes torque!

Wrong.

An exhaust system is different than just about any other plumbing situation. How? Because the flow is pulsed, and this turns out to be a big deal. Every time a pulse of exhaust gas runs through the pipe, a strange thing happens: it as it passes, it has a little area of vacuum behind it. Just like a NASCAR stocker running around the track, the pulse generates a little bit of a vacuum behind it. In NASCAR, a driver can take advantage of another driver's vacuum by getting right behind him and driving in it. The wind resistance is drastically reduced. This is called drafting.

Well, how big the vacuum behind each pules is depends on the gas velocity. The higher the velocity, the bigger the vacuum the pulse has behind it.

Now, this means that I can "draft" the next pulse, just like in NASCAR. In NASCAR, it's called drafting, in an exhaust system, it's called scavenging. You've probably seen this term used when talking about headers, but the same concept applies in the pipe.

I get the maximum scavenging effect if the gas velocity is high, so the pipe needs to be small. By maximizing the scavenging effect, I help to pull pulses out of the combustion chamber, which means the engine doesn't have to work as hard to do that.

This has the most effect when there's a bunch of time between pulses...in other words, at low rpm. As the revs rise, the pulsed flow becomes more and more like constant flow, and the scavenging effect is diminished.

So, at low rpm I need a small pipe to maximize scavenging, and at high rpm I need a big pipe to minimize pressure drop. My exhaust pipe can only be one size, so it's a compromise. For a given engine, one pipe diameter will make the most overall power (i.e., have the largest area under the curve on a dyno chart).

So, the loss of torque has nothing to do with backpressure, and everything to do with gas velocity. So you need exhaust components that are not restricive (manifolds/headers, mufflers) and that are sized correctly for your application.

To further dispel the "backpressure is necessary" theory, try this if you want. If you have access to a vehicle with open headers, make a block off plate that will bolt to the collector. This plate should have only a 1" hole in it for the exhaust to flow through. That will give you PLENTY of backpressure, and zero scavenging. Then you can report back on how much low end power it has.

The one exception to sizing an exhaust is for turbo cars. Since the turbo is in the exaust stream, the gas flow spinning the impeller tends to come out of the turbo with the pulses greatly diminished. In this case, you can get away with running a larger pipe than on an equivalent HP N/A engine because you can't take as much advantage of the scavenging effect.

Found this article here... http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/freq...kpressure.html

Also found this article (a bit more lengthy)... Some really good stuff in here but also some not so good stuff... http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm

-Patrick

Last edited by Tbird1997; 06-14-2012 at 12:11 AM.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:27 PM
4th Gear Poster

I believe this scavaging effect also aids the induction of a new air/fuel mixture as additional vacuum is created in concert with the exhaust-intake strokes' during the brief moment where both valves are simultaneously open. Hense, the vacuum created in the exhaust system permaites to the intake manifold helping draw the succeeding air/fuel mixture into the cylinder much in the same way as a plunger on a syringe does when it is retracted.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 12:10 AM
PostWhore

word....

Jason H.
Mods:
Exterior- Paint, grill, trim, SHO wheels
Power train- 4.6 cat back w/ muffler delete 2"I.D. tips , Taylor Pro Series plug wires, intake silencer delete

Photographs http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/jh...?sort=4&page=1
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Arrow BUMP - More loss in lower RPM

Ok so today I finished the rest of my exhaust. I now have a complete dual exhaust from the manifolds all the way to the bumper. I put on a pair of super 44 rustmasters and turn downs. I will post pics tomorrow of it, maybe a video clip too. Sounds pretty good... really quiet..

But since adding the rest of the exhaust I have noticed more top end and less low end power. When I was running two high flow cats into an X and dumped at the tail shaft of the tranny I could floor it and break the tires loose no problem. Even with the stock torque converter. When I added the pipes around the gas tank and dumped at the rear axle I found it was a little harder to break the tires loose but still easily doable. I then added the upgraded Mark 8 converter and I was able to break tires loose again no problem. Now here I am with the full exhaust with mufflers and I cannot break the tires loose without the brake pedal. I feel more top end but definitely a loss down low...

-Patrick

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
you fail to mention what crossover you are running.....

I just looked up pictures of the super 44...my God, why would anyone route such baffling in the name of sound?? Straight-through is where it's at.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 07:53 PM
Boost!!!

How much do the mufflers weigh? Are you gauging the power of your car by how much it spins off the line? If your car is on the edge of losing traction, it could be tire pressure, temperature and type of pavement, weight in the trunk, how much gas you have in the tank. All kinds of things can determine traction.

edit. I just looked it up they weigh 11 lbs a piece, plus piping and tips from the x pipe back probably around 40 lbs total. Every little bit of weight in the back can help traction. Just remember the old saying...If your spinnin I'm winnin

Blake

1996 thunderbird lx (the silver slut)
http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=387

Last edited by modularbird; 08-22-2013 at 07:59 PM.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Cross over? As in X pipe?

No I'm talking same exact conditions. Same day within hours of each other. I can take the mufflers off and from a stop there's more power in the 2000-3000 rpm. Im thinking the mufflers/extra bends in the pipe moved some hp up around 3000-4000 rpm. Call me crazy..

-Patrick

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 06:28 AM
̇

Garage
Have you considered going with an H-Pipe to get some of that low-end torque back?

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 11:28 PM
PostWhore

What's true for the exhaust is also true for the intake. Use less tubing with the intake and the rpm's of the power band will be in the lower rpm range but higher with a longer tube. Back when I had a Kia Rio I loved the long cold air intake that I put on it except during the rainstorms where I almost hydro-locked it. Somehow I seemed to lose all I had gained when I gutted the cats until I switched to a hot RAM setup during the next rainstorm.

You may want to try an H-pipe or go back to what you had before. Personally I think side exhaust has the coolest look even if it's a little annoying to those who pull up next to you and want to talk. I like the guy's car who had a lever that opened valves that dumped the exhaust right under the car whenever he wanted to. I think our stock intake besides the silencer and the old violin case is a great cross between a hot RAM and a true CAI that can easily be turned into a CAI if needed.

Do you still have the bung holes for the rear o2 sensors? If so, open them up and that might help some.

-Randy-

Last edited by V8ThunderCat; 08-24-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: A stupid idea that might help.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:06 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1997 View Post
Cross over? As in X pipe?

No I'm talking same exact conditions. Same day within hours of each other. I can take the mufflers off and from a stop there's more power in the 2000-3000 rpm. Im thinking the mufflers/extra bends in the pipe moved some hp up around 3000-4000 rpm. Call me crazy..
Well there's more than one kind of crossover, which is why I was asking which one you have.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Gotcha. Do you think the H will have that much of an effect? I always thought the x pipe was the way to go for performance.

-Patrick

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:58 PM
̇

Garage

FWIW..Here's a dyno graph showing the difference in HP, and TQ with the "H" vs "X" pipe..

In the lower RPM range you can see the H-Pipe has a little more TQ than the X-Pipe..Then once you start getting into the higher RPM's the X-Pipe wins..

Rayo..

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Sooooo.....you have a......? You don't have either do you, lol
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1997 View Post
I have been running two high flow cats off the manifolds straight into an X and then dumped. Been running this set up for a while. Anyway yesterday I decided to add the mid pipes in that go around the gas tank and dump right after the diff to get rid of some of the interior noise.
Unless he's replaced everything he's already installed, he's got an X. He didn't mention he replaced any of his existing setup, just adding to it progressively in stages.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Ah I see. Wasn't exactly sure. If so, then it's just the nature of the beast.
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Solution = more flow + more revs!

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Lol sorry GM I thought i answered your question when I said x pipe. The question mark probably made it confusing. It also says x pipe in my sig.

The H pipe is producing more torque for longer too as it barely looses hp. Seems like the H might be worth changing.. Rayo, what kind of car is that? Mods?

-Patrick

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 01:57 AM
3rd Gear Poster

it's always a good idea to RESET the pcm so that it RELEARNS the car. chances are you Re-did your exhaust and did not reset the car's computer.

this happened on my 4.6, i removed the mufflers and replaced them with pipes.... car felt like a turtle. Disconnected the batt for 10 min and then i hooked it back up, drove it around for the day and it was back to normal. These vehicles are alot slower to adjust to simple mods than newer vehicles.

here's what happened to my car: Less restrictive exhaust= more air at o2 sensors+computer not reset=lean fuel mixture

mercury cougar
a few mods
sig has been shortened
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 05:18 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Airflow is not measured by O2 sensors, it's measured by the MAF sensor. If you're running lean because you upgraded the exhaust and you need to reset the KAM to relearn adaptive fueling, you've got other problems to track down.

-Brandon

post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 06:51 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1997
what kind of car is that? Mods?
1992 Ford Mustang LX 5.0

TFS Twisted Wedge heads
Cobra Intake
Crane 1.7:1 Roller Rockers
65mm Throttle Body
73mm Mass Air Meter
MAC 1-5/8" Shorty Headers
Flowmaster Mufflers

Rayo..

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94lxbird View Post
it's always a good idea to RESET the pcm so that it RELEARNS the car. chances are you Re-did your exhaust and did not reset the car's computer.

this happened on my 4.6, i removed the mufflers and replaced them with pipes.... car felt like a turtle. Disconnected the batt for 10 min and then i hooked it back up, drove it around for the day and it was back to normal. These vehicles are alot slower to adjust to simple mods than newer vehicles.

here's what happened to my car: Less restrictive exhaust= more air at o2 sensors+computer not reset=lean fuel mixture
As terminator said, this is complete and utter BS. The computer doesn't "relearn" a car in this fashion. Please dont ever post this bad tech info here again, thanks.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 06:09 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
94lxbird: you have Vacuum Leaks, most likely.

Find them, lol.

Search: +Oxman +Cigar in the search box, and you can find out how to find them easily.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 11:56 PM
TGJ
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada

I have had better luck with X-pipes over H-pipes in my Mustangs. i do not think the cross-over is going to fix your problem. I would get rid of the crapmasters and run a real muffler although this is not likely going to fix your problem.

I don't know if your pipes are too big. I run 3" pipes from the Kooks to the X-pipe which is at the rear of the transmission. I go down to 2.5" for the pipe to the rear after that. For racing I have 3" turn-downs that connect to the X and I don't have any losses that I notice. I am running 3" high flo cats as well. All my stuff is magnaflow though.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton (1975 - 2011)

1996 Thunderbird 5.0L 2V-4R70W
12.64 @ 107 MPH -> DA 3315 Ft above Sea level
12.49 @ 109 -> DA 2967 Ft above Sea level
2005 Mustang GT 4.6L 3V-TR3650 - SOLD
13.39 @ 102 MPH -> DA 3617 Ft above Sea level
2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V-6R80 - Bolt-ons
12.32 @ 115 MPH -> DA 2980 Ft above Sea level
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGJ View Post
I have had better luck with X-pipes over H-pipes in my Mustangs. i do not think the cross-over is going to fix your problem. I would get rid of the crapmasters and run a real muffler although this is not likely going to fix your problem.

I don't know if your pipes are too big. I run 3" pipes from the Kooks to the X-pipe which is at the rear of the transmission. I go down to 2.5" for the pipe to the rear after that. For racing I have 3" turn-downs that connect to the X and I don't have any losses that I notice. I am running 3" high flo cats as well. All my stuff is magnaflow though.
+1. Same here, minus the turndowns. I got a sweet deal on some Dynomax Ultraflo mufflers (straight through design) so that's what I'm using. Same thing on cats---3" high flow Magnaflows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in