4.6l p.i engine with ford motorsport shorty headers - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

4.6l p.i engine with ford motorsport shorty headers

Hey guys. Got a quick question

Im in the final stages of installing my rebuilt 4.6l engine with pi heads. I was given a set of ford motorsport shorty headers with the heads i purchased. The egr tube runs to the drivers side header and i ordered an egr tube from a 99 to 04 mustang gt. That was a simple fix

But now i fear that the engine wont fit in. Ive been reading that aftermarket headers wont fit due to the steering column getting in the way. Does anyone know if the ford motorspprt shorty headers will clear my steering column by any chance? Its so nerve racking that i got this far and im not even sure if it will fit. Lol if you guys have any info it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sorry if i posted this in the wrong category im not too sure where to post because of the two issues im having.

Thanks guys, hope to hear back soon!

Sorry I forgot to specify the year, It's a 1996 Mercury Cougar.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 08-03-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Merge posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 08:41 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to CableguyJJS3 Send a message via Yahoo to CableguyJJS3
If the headers are for a mustang, I doubt they will fit. But being shorty headers, I suppose it's possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that. When I installed my new engine, I had 2 different sets of T-Bird headers. Both for a T-Bird, but different manufactuers, one fit, the other would not, go figure. So like I said, if the ones you have are for a Mustang, don't count on it. Now Mustang long tube headers....that's a different story

Ban low performance driver's, not high performance cars.

"Any idiot can make a Mustang fast, but it takes a special kind of idiot to make a Thunderbird fast."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Yea i believe its for the 99 to 04 mustangs. The guy i bought the heads off of had them in his car with those headers hmm. Well i guess i can take the header and match it up in the empty engine bay or something
See how it fits together. You have given me somebkind of hope
Lol thanksbfor the info though. I will check it in a few hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 08:57 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to CableguyJJS3 Send a message via Yahoo to CableguyJJS3
Yeah don't get your hopes to high, i doubt they will fit. Easiest thing to do is have your factory manifolds ported and braincoated, alot of guys here running those, and some with some serious power. They will handle anything you want to do.

Ban low performance driver's, not high performance cars.

"Any idiot can make a Mustang fast, but it takes a special kind of idiot to make a Thunderbird fast."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Update:

I got the engine in, Headers don't clear the steering column so i had to disconnect it. There is a guy that can custom fabricate a new end on the headers for me. He saw the car and said he can help out. Im also going to run a new 2-1/4" Magnaflow exhaust system. No worries. lol
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
fabrication is the only way to go pretty much for using mustang headers. Unless you shell out $1600 for custom headers.

Speaking of which, only 3/4 of a primary tube away from having the only mn12 modded mustang longtubes with 3" collectors.

Last edited by guitar maestro; 08-11-2012 at 06:32 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Sorry about posting in the wrong category. I'm going to try to snap a pic of the new header that was made. Maybe others can use the picture to aid them in fabricating one. I didn't want to spend the money on messing around with the steering column.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Here is the work that was done to avoid the headers touching the steering column, Pictures kinda suck but you get the idea.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in