I need to quiet this thing down... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I need to quiet this thing down...

I went to an exhaust shop a few days ago and had some work done. The welder removed my catalytic converter system and welded up a new catless Y-pipe assembly with bungs for my four O2 sensors. I made MIL eliminators for the downstream O2s (working great!) and it got rid of my PO420/PO430 codes that have been plaguing me for some time now. Needless to say, the exhaust is much louder now. It does has a nice Roush GT Mustang rumble at idle, but when the engine hits a certain RPM I get a resonating buzz (for a lack of better description) coming out of the tips. I was more than happy with the exhaust dB and pitch before this mod. I run a Delta 40 series catback by Flowmaster, which I do not plan on changing. I spoke to the exhaust shop and they recommended a long glasspack after the Y-pipe to cure the problem. My only experience with glasspacks are with my friends' old pickups. Do you guys think it will quiet it down and remove the raspy buzzing?

If you can't hear it before you see it...what's the point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 09:58 AM
5th Gear Poster

It should help out. I'm running no cats with a straight through magnaflow and its all most to quite.

1997 Thunderbird 4.6L
New paint on tops, Magnaflow high flow cat system and custom 2 - 2 1/2 Exhaust ,J-Mod and P.I. head and intake swap(performed by RobertP @ www.RobsTireAndAuto.com ) Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Mark VIII TC, AEM dry flow air filter, Blacked out tail lights and custom painted headlights (performed by my wife) tuned by DON at http://www.lasotaracing.com/

waiting to hear theses kooks

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/391835...rd-lx-coupe-2d
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Exhaust always boils down to personal preference; I say do the glasspack and see if you like it!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 04:39 PM
PostWhore

I tried this on my 1995. It sounded awesome at idle, sounded like crap while driving. Get some Magnaflow cats and try again.

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8
SCT Tuned by Amercian Motorsport, Mustang PBR, FRPP 3.73 gears, Modified Trak-Lok, Steeda UDP, K&N Panel, 1990 SC Seats, 2.5" Single Exhaust/Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +, Windstar wheels, RichardM Intake, Kenwood KDC-HD552U HD Radio, 2800 stall DirtyDog Marauder TC, J-MOD, 2002 Grand Marquis transmission, DynoTech Driveshaft, AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Griffin Super High Capacity Radiator, 180* Thermostat, Cobra steering wheel, 6000K HID, Clear Corners Getting a makeover Spring 2015

http://www.fordthunderbird.net - For Pics and more!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
The resonance is likely an artifact of the long length. I had the same thing. Wasn't too bad, but then again everyone's exhaust is slightly different.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 02:52 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
I had the True duals done with no cats, and a single dual in/dual out magnaflow. sounded great but was just a tad too loud for a Tbird (in my opinion). So I just had the exhaust shop install a couple glasspacks at the very end with chrome tips welded directly on the glasspacks. Sounds great.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

All fixed!!! The exhaust shop welded a Turbo Pac muffler in. It's a nice song to my ears

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Who needs quiet? 2.5 duals with some dynomax bullets. Actually sounds louder with the bullets than straight piped, which isn't uncommon as far as I've read. I can go get a video if you wanna hear loud.

-Daniel

My driving is a constant struggle between wanting good gas mileage and driving like I'm Mario Andretti.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=134659&page=4

1997 Pacific Green Thunderbird LX- Stock 201xxx miles Daily Driver
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I get plenty of attention as it is. I enjoy my tunes and don't want a loud obnoxious noise that I can't turn down on the fly. It's got plenty of rumble. I'll try and make a sound clip.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to SoulCalibur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Alchemist View Post
I get plenty of attention as it is. I enjoy my tunes and don't want a loud obnoxious noise that I can't turn down on the fly. It's got plenty of rumble. I'll try and make a sound clip.
I hear you on that. I was thinking of adding some 2010-12 mustang stock take off mufflers on my car. I was told they are from borla but branded with Ford. true or false? don't know but most I see on CL are cheap and they sound good. But, I like my car a bit on the quiet side.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 07:06 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Exhaust is all personal preference. Im in the middle of pieceing together mine. Im going to run true dual 2.5" or 3" straight pipe. No cats.. All this pipe will meet into 2 32" glasspacks perside. Im running basically a quad exhaust but true dual up to the door frames then quad from there.

Im not sure how the back pressure will work on that but if its a problrm ill just stick to my true duals.

These new cherry bombs anit worth squat!. If you want some real sound order you some " ol' school glasspacks" from jegs.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Moderator &amp;amp; Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
can't wait to see this quad exhaust
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Thunder View Post
Exhaust is all personal preference. Im in the middle of pieceing together mine. Im going to run true dual 2.5" or 3" straight pipe. No cats.. All this pipe will meet into 2 32" glasspacks perside. Im running basically a quad exhaust but true dual up to the door frames then quad from there.

Im not sure how the back pressure will work on that but if its a problrm ill just stick to my true duals.

These new cherry bombs anit worth squat!. If you want some real sound order you some " ol' school glasspacks" from jegs.
Four tailpipes?
All that weight over your rear axle doesn't seem like it would be worth it but whatever rocks your boat. If the goal is to have four tips, why not look at a glasspack with dual exit tips?
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in