Opinions on KOOKS - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Opinions on KOOKS

Why? Because I want to know if there is any bad rap about them. I have had my 304 stainless on my MarkVIII for less than 3 years and just yesterday I blew a hole the size of a quarter in the very front primary on the passenger side where the bung is for the air injection. I put a magnet on the bung itself and it is stainless. The weld around the base of the stub that blew out seems to be slightly magnetic leading me to believe that 308 filler was not used to weld that bung in which would confirm that an idiot at Kooks put these headers together. Am I right in my assumptions? Now all of a sudden people are telling me that the flanges crack and the fittings fail on these headers. I don't get it. I thought Kooks was reputable. If they are not, why does Bill continue to sell these crappy headers? Someone inspire me.

1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Supercharged
1992 F150 XLT

Last edited by KStromberg; 09-14-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
I added your experience to this thread.

I found where you posted it on LOD this morning. Sorry for your luck. Got to burn some sage or something and get that curse lifted!

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks TrunkMonkey. Unfortunately on my Mark VIII, the A/C dripping onto the header is not the issue. My initial thoughts is that it is a crappy type of weld on the header bung for the air injection. 308 filler which is what should have been used to do that weld is not magnetic. My magnet detected slight magnetism on that welding at the base.

1992 F150 XLT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 08:58 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Driller had his crack in OCT 2010 where the pipes meet the collector. I have a pic but can't get it to upload to Photobucket. I guess I'll reboot the PC and try again.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 06:20 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Now that photobucket is working...

Here's the picture that I have of Driller's cracked Kooks Header.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 01:29 AM
TGJ
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada

I have heard a rumour that the Kooks headers made for these cars are no longer made by Kooks. I was told that Kooks sold the templates/jigs to another company and that company is building the headers exclusively for SCP as the original agreement with Kooks. That said, I have had my Kooks on my car since2006 and have had no issues with them.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton (1975 - 2011)

1996 Thunderbird 5.0L 2V-4R70W
12.64 @ 107 MPH -> DA 3315 Ft above Sea level
12.49 @ 109 -> DA 2967 Ft above Sea level
2005 Mustang GT 4.6L 3V-TR3650 - SOLD
13.39 @ 102 MPH -> DA 3617 Ft above Sea level
2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V-6R80 - Bolt-ons
12.32 @ 115 MPH -> DA 2980 Ft above Sea level
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to RobertP
Nope kooks make them but bill has the rights to be the only one that can sell them, I just ordered a set and I've gotta pick them up from kooks

www.robstireandauto.com for all your car needs and parts
95 bird corn powered 735rwhp and 580 tq
86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
9.98 worlds fastest IRS 4.6 thunderbird
1/8 [email protected]
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
1.47 best 60ft if I can get a full pass with this 60ftt
All made possible with Braincoating'™s ported manifolds
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 02:38 PM
The Parts Guy

The only issue I've had with them is that the JetHot coating (on the mild steel headers) sucks.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecougar View Post
The only issue I've had with them is that the JetHot coating (on the mild steel headers) sucks.
^^^ Agreed ^^^

UP THE IRONS!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Maybe 308L filler was used, but if the patch piece itself was not 304SS but instead regular mild 1008 steel, then that too will cause issues.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Well at this point, I'm not sure what direction I am going to go but I should be making a call to SCP but haven't had the time in the past week because I have been busier than hell at work. I know for sure that I will be watching what Temple Performance has going on for the Mark VIIIs because he was recently trying to gauge interest in producing longtubes for these cars. At this point I am tempted to just have the header patched on this car and hold out and see what happens there and put a set of longtubes on the blown8 I am picking up in a couple of weeks. Oh and yeah, this whole exciting purchase has taken my mind off of the header fiasco a bit. I guess I am use to the car sitting over the winter, but it may have to sit broken for awhile this time.

1992 F150 XLT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in