Temp DOHC Exhaust Manifold(s) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Post Temp DOHC Exhaust Manifold(s)

As I've brought up before, I'm slowly working on getting a DOHC 4.6 in my Cougar. I currently have a stock motor from an 05 Aviator on the stand. The thing is I want to swap the motor in briefly to make absolutely sure I have everything I need for the swap, and more importantly, make sure my wiring is all correct, since I'm not coming from any stock harness, but a MN12 Chassis harness that has been heavily modified to accept a 99-04 Mustang PCM and a modified Mustang Engine harness. As such, I had to modify a Mach 1 harness to get it to mate up with the body harness. Because of this, despite pinout tests, I want the engine in the car running for a brief time to be SURE everything’s right before I tear it down for a real built motor.

The main hang-up is the exhaust. I will end up with true dual exhaust, and ideally longtube headers, or at least mid lengths (Yes, I know SCP is the only place to get the Kooks mid length and Longtubes are really only possible by modifying MAC Mustang LTs), but for the brief test run, I do not want to modify the stock exhaust as after a successful test, the SOHC would go back in for the duration of the build since it will take time and I want the car drivable.

I have both Mark Manifolds, but the problem is I don't have a complete DS manifold as the yard hacked the converter off so I do not have the flange, so I can't even attempt to make a custom fab. In theory, a complete non-LSC mark Y pipe should fit the car, so if I could find that and a complete DS manifold, that would be an option, but it's something I don't want to spend a lot of money on as it would be (very) temporary.

Now, here's my hair brained idea/question... In looking at the DOHC & SOHC Manifolds, I've noticed that the bolt pattern is identical, and the SOHC flange (barely) covers the entire DOHC port. Would using the SOHC manifolds on the DOHC heads function for a brief time without damaging anything? Obviously, it would be a huge restriction and one would in no way want to run this for any extended period of time, but would it be safe to do for a brief function test of at most a short drive, possibly not even leaving the driveway?

'95 Cougar - 2002 Explorer engine, 2004 Mustang PTP2 PCM

Best times:
PI 4.6L 95 XR7 Cougar: [email protected]
2004.5 Silverado Crew Cab/Long Bed/4x4 6.6L Duramax: [email protected] (Weighing in at over 7200#) on 10/19/2007
Dyno - 446.4RWHP/820.2RWTq on 6/13/2008
Pulling - 300.9' 3rd place finish 8/2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I can't answer that question, but if you have the driver's side manifold, even without the cat, you could weld a flange onto it, and test that way. Also, if you want to keep your car on the road while you build the motor, I would suggest getting another car to do your test fitting. You could pick up a 4.6 MN12 with a blown motor, or major rust or something for a few hundred bucks, and do all your test fitting on that car, then when you are done, transfer everything into your car, and not have to bother with multiple engine swaps in your car.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 04:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
No.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
I can't answer that question, but if you have the driver's side manifold, even without the cat, you could weld a flange onto it, and test that way.
Where would I find a proper flange? The DS Manifold I have is stainless, not cast, so welding it shouldn't be a problem, but finding a flange I can weld to it could be... I've been looking in the local yards for a Mark that hasn't been processed yet that I might arrange to get the flange cut off the cat for me, but no luck so far.

Quote:
Also, if you want to keep your car on the road while you build the motor, I would suggest getting another car to do your test fitting. You could pick up a 4.6 MN12 with a blown motor, or major rust or something for a few hundred bucks, and do all your test fitting on that car, then when you are done, transfer everything into your car, and not have to bother with multiple engine swaps in your car.
The problem is the physical fit isn't my concern. It's the electrical 'fit'. My car is one of a kind with the PCM and wiring modifications, so getting another car wouldn't help as far as testing it in my car.

'95 Cougar - 2002 Explorer engine, 2004 Mustang PTP2 PCM

Best times:
PI 4.6L 95 XR7 Cougar: [email protected]
2004.5 Silverado Crew Cab/Long Bed/4x4 6.6L Duramax: [email protected] (Weighing in at over 7200#) on 10/19/2007
Dyno - 446.4RWHP/820.2RWTq on 6/13/2008
Pulling - 300.9' 3rd place finish 8/2011
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Since the 2v has a flare on the LH side, it should seal up on a ball type flange, which an exhaust shop should have in stock or could at least order for you. You can always just get a 2 or 3 bolt flange and weld it in on either side and use an appropriate gasket. You can get those from the same places.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
Where would I find a proper flange? The DS Manifold I have is stainless, not cast, so welding it shouldn't be a problem, but finding a flange I can weld to it could be... I've been looking in the local yards for a Mark that hasn't been processed yet that I might arrange to get the flange cut off the cat for me, but no luck so far.
I have a Drivers side Mark Catalytic converter here - was cut off from the manifold itself .. the flange is extremely close to the Converter so IDK about cutting it and re-welding it to a new setup .. were you planning on using a Converter ? Might be able to weld this one to your Manifold if thats an option for you. Cats are worth at least $40 to me for recycling though, plus shipping .. IDK if thats in your budget.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in