Best Exhaust Set Up??? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Question Best Exhaust Set Up???

I have a 1993 thunderbird lx 3.8L (non supercharged) and I want to get an exhaust set up. I know for a fact I am deleting the cats and running dual pipes strait from the manifolds all the way back to the exhaust cut outs my cars Razzi trim has. Apart from all of that im not sure what the best sounding exhasut/muffler for my car i want it to sound like a muscle car, yet realize that it isn't a V8. I was actually consittering flowmaster super 44 or cherry bomb extremes, However the last thing i want to do is make my car sound like a ricer. Any sugestions? Videos of your car that I could hear?

Oh and am I the only person who has a 3.8L non supercharged?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 10:11 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Making the car too loud will make it more noticably a v6 to others. I would leave cats on (or high flow cats) and run true duals into some kind of muffler. I have a friend with flowmasters on his v6 mustang and it sounds pretty good. I think he's running 2.5 in dual into an h pipe.

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 10:23 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome to TCCoA Addison. There's a great Thunderbird crew in the Carolinas.

You should join us in Fayetteville for the annual Thanksgiving round-up to meet everyone and see our cars.

See this thread for details.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 AM
PostSlut

welcome to the site.
a v6 will always sound like a v6.......

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 05:39 PM
2nd Gear Poster

im full dual. no cats and res... no mufflers.. its sounds mellow. and loud. but hardly ricey.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 01:24 PM

Quite frankly, I was considering this set up for my 93/3.8L

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mp...el/thunderbird

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 02:42 PM
1st Gear Poster

There really is no "One perfect" exhaust system out there.

Everyone's opinion differs on how they want their car to sound.

The average person will likely want a dual into a large single pipe under the gas tank back to duals again (for the look of duals)

Keep a high flow resonator in place in the middle of the exhaust.

Turbo type rear mufflers have excellent flow but are much quieter than straight through type mufflers. Stay away from chambered mufflers on a V6 as they sound terrible (in my opinion).

Cats are a mild sound suppressor so I do recommend you keep a pair of high flow types in the system.

Super Coupe Performance
513-697-6501

If it's in stock, we have it!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 01:34 AM

What about changing the resonator and use a high flow muffler there and then run straight pipes back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Penny View Post
Would these work on the sc models ???

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 12-27-2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Merge posts - remove quoted photo
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I have a single piece "true dual" setup a traded with another local tccoa-er (he needed cats, I didn't b/c my tbird is a track car). My old setup had the 2 stock cats, the center resonator, and a $20 cherry bomb at the end of a single pipe. My "new" setup consists of 3" pipes, two cherry bombs as the downpipes to replace the cats, an X-crossover in the center section, and two flowmasters at the end. The short answer is that it's too low.

* SCs and 3.8L NA cars have the same exhaust system.

* Single piece systems are a pain in the butt to move around (it's 15 feet of metal -- I had to borrow a friends subaru wagon and strap it to the roof to get it to my house).

* It's fairly loud and raspy. It makes this glorious blast sound when you lift off the trottle, the tune goes a little rich, and the fuel promptly explodes somewhere in the exhaust since there's not cat to catch and burn up this small amount of unburnt fuel. Glorious on a $500 racecar but NOT something I would find useful on a daily driver.

* The WORST thing about a true dual setup, IMO, is ground clearance. My car is already pretty low because of the suspension and tire setup (only 4.5" from the bottom of the car behind the front wheel wells) and I'm afraid I have lost even more clearance b/c of the cross pipe (maybe about an inch). What does this mean in practical applications? Here in SF we have the occasional speed hump that doesn't go across the entire street but is just divided into a few sections. Each is maybe a few inches high. The normal procedure is that you see one up ahead, you slow down (what the urban planners want you to do), and you straddle the hump with your wheels. I tried that with the tbird and this new exhaust -- once. The net result was that I heard this awful scraping sound as the x pipe scraped the hump.

This setup wouldn't be terribly streetable -- I'm even worried about off-track excurisions/debris on the race track. Oh well.

Recommendation: if you want to free up your exhaust system a little more, go to a muffler shop and have them replace your rear muffler for cheap. It will be throatier but not unbearable.

Personally, I'm not sure you will get any noticable performance gains to justify this $400 high flow cat setup and an independant muffler shop (not like a Midas) should be able to put something together for you for significantly cheaper. Even here in expensive CA (not only for the labor costs but also b/c all emissions equipment needs a CARB certification), I asked about a cat setup and was told that they could put replace cats for <$150.
That $400 could easily cover a splitport upgrade.

If you do go with the true dual setup (or desire to delete the resonator), I highly recommend that you heed my advice about ground clearance. Get them to run those pipes as close to the body of the car as possible (i.e.: no lower than the stock setup).

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Moderator &amp;amp; Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Make yourself a set of longtube headers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in