Can I drop the exhaust under the gas tank? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Can I drop the exhaust under the gas tank?

I have an X-pipe and 10 feet of exhaust pipe. I'm not sure if it would be safe to drop the exhaust under the gas tank for ease. I KNOW the easiest way isn't always the best way. But it would be less obstructive bends in the pipe, and it would conserve pipe as well. There would still be thermal guard between the exhaust and fuel tank, so heat is no issue. Ground clearance would be 6-7 inches. Ideas? Suggestions? I'm going to remove the third cat, replace it with the x-pipe, then go straight back to mufflers (of some sort).

'95 "Black Widow" Thunderbird LX 4.6L V8
-Muffler/Resonator Delete
-Cold Air Intake (AutoZone plastic homemade)
-Magnum Crankcase Vent Filter (for looks)
-Accel Coil Packs -MSD Wires -Accel Spark Plugs
DD, nothing too special.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 10:46 AM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
I have true duals running under that gas tank tunnel with no problems

Project still in progress
Explorer engine, vortech v2,intercooled,bullit intake,derale power steering cooler, b&m trans cooler, oil filter relocation, cobra aluminum radiator, Walbro 255 Pump, Intrax 2in lowering springs, KYB front/back,,mark8 Driveshaft, 1.25Rear sway bar, 3:73 aluminum diff, TrackLok, Rear Diff Cover Brace, Sc Wheels 235/60s, Jmodd, Air Bags in Springs,Rear strut Bar,17in Mirror Blk CobraRs, Sc L Brackets, rear torsional load brace, kmember-frame brace, weightloss program, pbr dual pistons drilled/slotted, stainless lines , recaro seats, sct x4 DonL tuned
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

What do I do with the 3rd cat to not throw a CEL?

DD, nothing too special.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfTBird2012 View Post
What do I do with the 3rd cat to not throw a CEL?
Ask yourself this:
Q: Is there a sensor after the 3rd CAT?

I don't remember one. If there isn't a sensor, how would the ECU know to throw a CEL?

-g

PS. I had 3" true duals on my tbird . With a 1.5" suspension drop, I pretty much had 2" of clearance between the lowest point of the exhaust and the ground. Completely impractical for a street car (you'd rub on any road hump -- even the really short ones) and only marginally more useful on the track. It did sound glorious though. We'll see if I keep this setup with the V8.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I just took a look after posting my last question only to find that I'm an idiot. I'm going to keep the stock manifolds and cats up front, replace the third cat with the x-pipe, and then drop the pipe under the fuel tank all the way to the back. If any of that is immediately alarming to anyone, I'd love to hear it. Getting the pipe bent tonight for $10 at a local shop. Thanks!

DD, nothing too special.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Why would it be "alarming"? Unless you're not going to run the newly bent pipes through the tunnel where the original exhaust went through, you're not doing anything different than others before you.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

They will not be running through the same exhaust tunnel. They will be dropping 3" before the gas tank then back up 3" and out towards the corners after the rear axle.

DD, nothing too special.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Unless your car is a donk, it's going to scrape like crazy. You're not going to net any kind of performance gain by doing this either

-Matt
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
That sounds like a hack-job in the making. It should look similar to this (image credit to racecougar)

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 03:34 PM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
I run no cats on my 95 and have no check engine light

Explorer engine, vortech v2,intercooled,bullit intake,derale power steering cooler, b&m trans cooler, oil filter relocation, cobra aluminum radiator, Walbro 255 Pump, Intrax 2in lowering springs, KYB front/back,,mark8 Driveshaft, 1.25Rear sway bar, 3:73 aluminum diff, TrackLok, Rear Diff Cover Brace, Sc Wheels 235/60s, Jmodd, Air Bags in Springs,Rear strut Bar,17in Mirror Blk CobraRs, Sc L Brackets, rear torsional load brace, kmember-frame brace, weightloss program, pbr dual pistons drilled/slotted, stainless lines , recaro seats, sct x4 DonL tuned
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Performance is not necessarily what I'm going after by throwing it under the tank. More than anything, it's cheaper and easier. I know "if you're gonna do it, do it right... The easy way isn't always the best way"... etc. but for me, it's the decision I have made. I held the bent pipes up there and I still have a good 5 inches from the ground. Stock suspension and stock 15" wheels. That's higher than the Nissan Sentra SE R next time mine. Haha.

DD, nothing too special.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Performance is not necessarily what I'm going after by throwing it under the tank. More than anything, it's cheaper and easier. I know "if you're gonna do it, do it right... The easy way isn't always the best way"... etc. but for me, it's the decision I have made. I held the bent pipes up there and I still have a good 5 inches from the ground. Stock suspension and stock 15" wheels. That's higher than the Nissan Sentra SE R next time mine. Haha.
Then you'll be set. Oh, I also have a 1.5" drop b/c I'm using the sticky, cheap, yet completely retarded looking Dirazza Star Spec Tires in 205/50-R15s (3" smaller in diameter than a stock profile).

-g

One more thought: Consider adding some form of clamps to allow you to disconnect the exhaust in sections. I got my exhaust in a trade and it's a single, completely unwieldy X shape that's 15' long and 3-4' wide. I may cut my exhaust and add these clamps to make it more maneuverable.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Post up some pics after its completed. Id be interested in seeing how the hell you get 5" of clearance from a stock bird. I agree with Matt your going to scrape.

Will

The Texas Green Bird (An undeveloped work of art.)
92 Thunderbird Sport 5.0: Sold

91 gt, 5.0 73mm turbo, 5spd, 373s, and much more
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
But it would be less obstructive bends in the pipe, and it would conserve pipe as well.
Conserve the pipe !! The last thing you need are obstructive bends .. for all of that hot air you are pushing with that high performance engine, why not just cut the exhaust off right after the resonator ? It will be loud, less obstructive, and you will conserve even more pipe at the same time !!
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunnner View Post
Post up some pics after its completed. Id be interested in seeing how the hell you get 5" of clearance from a stock bird. I agree with Matt your going to scrape.
4" lifts?

I have stock (well, 21 year old!) Sport/SC springs on Ruby, and SHE scrapes occasionally.

To the OP - I'm with the "route them out in front of the back tires" suggestion if conserving pipe is that big a deal. Because, you probably won't conserve but, what, 1 foot or so total?

RwP
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 12:32 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
Conserve the pipe !! The last thing you need are obstructive bends .. for all of that hot air you are pushing with that high performance engine, why not just cut the exhaust off right after the resonator ? It will be loud, less obstructive, and you will conserve even more pipe at the same time !!
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I'm on an iPhone and I'm not quite sure how to upload a photo. After I read some of the replies this morning, I figured I must've measured wrong. So I mozied out to my car, grabbed the measuring tape from the back seat, and measured 7.5" exact from the bottom most portion of the fuel tank to the ground. I will be running 2.5"OD pipe. If I drop it .5" to make sure it doesn't rattle, that leaves me with 4.5" clearance. Which is .5" greater than the side braces on the car. So unless I'm a complete moron, it will be fine. The point of this thread was to find whether or not its safe and possible to run under the gas tank. Not to focus on conserving pipe or adding HP. I appreciate the opinions, which were, in all honestly, duly noted when respectable.

DD, nothing too special.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 09:10 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Your missing something else, the fact that it will look like crap. I would be pissed if I saw a pipe hanging down from my car. If you dont have the money then wait and do it correctly. The finished product will look, sound and perform better. Also everyone wont (or probably wont as much) laugh at you behind your back. If you take any kind of pride in your car dont do it

Will

The Texas Green Bird (An undeveloped work of art.)
92 Thunderbird Sport 5.0: Sold

91 gt, 5.0 73mm turbo, 5spd, 373s, and much more
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I think all but you will agree that the bends going down instead of sideways will NOT effect the sound OR performance of the exhaust. The bends are still going around the tank (like stock), just down instead of to the side. So that's a bust. And as far as look, I (and the people I've talked to about it so far) don't think it will look all that bad. They will run tight to the bottom of the tank and won't "dangle" or anything.

DD, nothing too special.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Its your car, do what you want.
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Sounds like you already had your mind made up before you started the thread.

-Matt
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 03:48 PM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
If you want it to sound half way decent just cut the mufflers off for now....

post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 01:22 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Any updates? I'm dying to see how this turned out.

-Matt
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Your not even saving that much pipe... 6 inches? Running it near 90 degrees down under the gas tank then again 90 degrees back up is probably more restrictive than just going around the gas tank.. so there's no performance gain either...

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 11:34 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Any updates? I'm dying to see how this turned out.
^ X2 I'd really like to see pictures of your finished product.

Platoribs House of SHO
95 SHO MTX 73K grn/tan
93 SHO MTX 175K blu/blk
92 SC M5R2 98K Red/Grey tweed ->Blk Cloth SC
89 SC M5R2 112K Blu/Blk Shiny Cobra's! *coming out party, May 20th 2012* Now with moar suspension, brakes and slave cylinder...
91 SC M5R2 100K blk/blk tweed building
86 Mercedes-Benz 300e
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1997 View Post
Your not even saving that much pipe... 6 inches? Running it near 90 degrees down under the gas tank then again 90 degrees back up is probably more restrictive than just going around the gas tank.. so there's no performance gain either...
90 degree bends are pretty restrictive .. I do pipe fitting work and for every so many 90's we have to up the pipe size so flow wont be restricted - granted its HVAC water supply, not quite the same as exhaust gasses, but Im pretty sure a stock NA motor is not pushing enough gasses for it to make a difference anyways.
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 09:13 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco1385 View Post
That sounds like a hack-job in the making. It should look similar to this (image credit to racecougar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecougar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Looks pretty nice! One question though, will they clear the early style exhaust and gas tank?

If the exhaust is tucked up tight to the tank...possibly, but it would be tight.
So, can anyone here tell me if I am correct in assuming that the gas tank in this pic is from a late model MN12 or a FN10? I have my sights set on a dual exhaust setup and the tank would be necessary for it to work as my fuel tank is early model where the single pipe wraps around to the edge of the body (unlike in this photo) Any info is much appreciated!

'91 Sport 5.0 HO - AOD - JBL Premium Sound w/ Kenwood eXcelon deck - Black Leather LX interior w/ Lux Light
- 17" Sport Edition Wheels wrapped in Michelin 225/50's - Custom Flowmaster exhaust - GT40 heads - Electric Fan - '92 Sport Bumper

Planned Mod's
-Cobra intake (upper/lower) / SC MAF/30#inj / Dual Exhaust/headers
-'99 CV/PI 4" Aluminum DS / MK8 Disc Rear/HS/LCA/11.5" Front Disc
-M5R2 5-Speed / 3.27 LS Diff / SC F/R seats
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 09:24 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadful_Knight View Post
So, can anyone here tell me if I am correct in assuming that the gas tank in this pic is from a late model MN12 or a FN10?
Yes.

Jason H.
Mods:
Exterior- Paint, grill, trim, SHO wheels
Power train- 4.6 cat back w/ muffler delete 2"I.D. tips , Taylor Pro Series plug wires, intake silencer delete

Photographs http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/jh...?sort=4&page=1
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 09:47 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadful_Knight
So, can anyone here tell me if I am correct in assuming that the gas tank in this pic is from a late model MN12 or a FN10?
Yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadful_Knight
I have my sights set on a dual exhaust setup and the tank would be necessary for it to work as my fuel tank is early model where the single pipe wraps around to the edge of the body (unlike in this photo) Any info is much appreciated!
With the exhaust system that Mandrel Exhaust Systems offers..The need for the late model 18 gallon tank is a thing of the past..

If you want to run a dual exhaust system larger than 2-1/2" diameter..Then going with the smaller fuel tank would be a more viable option..

The exhaust system that Mandrel Exhaust Systems offers for the 19 gallon tank will work with up to 2-1/2" dual piping..

Here's a link for the exhaust system offered by Mandrel Exhaust Systems for MN12's with the 19 gallon tank----->>(19 Gallon Tank) Exhaust System

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 08:44 PM
The Parts Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadful_Knight View Post
So, can anyone here tell me if I am correct in assuming that the gas tank in this pic is from a late model MN12 or a FN10? I have my sights set on a dual exhaust setup and the tank would be necessary for it to work as my fuel tank is early model where the single pipe wraps around to the edge of the body (unlike in this photo) Any info is much appreciated!
It's a '92-97 MN12 fuel tank.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in