97 Bird OE Tail Pipe O.D.?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

97 Bird OE Tail Pipe O.D.??

Anyone know what the O.D. of the factory tail pipes are before the mufflers? Considering making an axle back system for the time being until I can afford a true dual set up and wanted to know what size muffler would slide over the factory tail pipe and clamp into place. Any help is appreciated

70mm Explorer TB, MAC intake arm, C&L 76MM MAF, K&N Cone - modded air box top to fit over top and block some of the engine heat, silencer removal, 2.25" straight pipe Muffler Delete, Pioneer MP3/ CD/Bluetooth deck, Pioneer Components, 2 Pioneer 10's, Pioneer Amp

Shelf:
JBA Shorty Headers

Daily Beater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
If you want something just for sound and you still have all stock exhaust from the manifolds, just cut off the mufflers and run straight pipe. It will still be relatively quiet, but will have a nice tone to it with just the cats and resonator.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I thought about doing that. I have a set of headers on the way to me. Whether or not I actually put them on is another story lol. It doesn't look like a fun job. Also, seeing as I am living in NJ with Florida plates, how would I fare against the local law enforcement with straight pipes and no mufflers? Anyone got a sound clip of this?

70mm Explorer TB, MAC intake arm, C&L 76MM MAF, K&N Cone - modded air box top to fit over top and block some of the engine heat, silencer removal, 2.25" straight pipe Muffler Delete, Pioneer MP3/ CD/Bluetooth deck, Pioneer Components, 2 Pioneer 10's, Pioneer Amp

Shelf:
JBA Shorty Headers

Daily Beater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:38 AM
4th Gear Poster

I'm rocking the straight pipes, no mufflers in NJ. Just barely passed emissions last month, but I dont have any local law enforcement problems. It's not too terribly loud, but I can record a sound clip for you Friday if you'd like?

GottaHaveHart

No. Nitrous is for fags. It's got cubic inches.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Sure! Been youtubing them too. Sounds similar to a GT Mustang. I think I may make this a project over the weekend since the lady will be gone to PA. What size tail pipes is everyone running? And did you get any performance/gas milage gains?

Shelf:
JBA Shorty Headers

Daily Beater
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

A lot of guys run 2.5 inch pipes. Performance can be had if you aren't stock. But if you are stock you trade a bit of low end torque for high end horse power. If you were to just the mufflers off and call it a day it'd sound pretty good.

-Daniel

My driving is a constant struggle between wanting good gas mileage and driving like I'm Mario Andretti.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=134659&page=4

1997 Pacific Green Thunderbird LX- Stock 201xxx miles Daily Driver
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I will be mildly stock. Mainly just bolt on's. I would like to run the pipes out the back so it doesn't drone under the car. Just need to see what size pipe will clamp over the factory tail pipes that split from the Y pipe in the rear. Does anyone know?

Shelf:
JBA Shorty Headers

Daily Beater
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

2 inch.

-Daniel

My driving is a constant struggle between wanting good gas mileage and driving like I'm Mario Andretti.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

2" will clamp over or the factory pipe o.d. is 2"??

Shelf:
JBA Shorty Headers

Daily Beater
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Factory is 2 inch. You should be able to find some tips that are 2 inch ID to weld/clamp on

-Daniel

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

perfect. I now have a weekend project!

Shelf:
JBA Shorty Headers

Daily Beater
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 06:18 PM
4th Gear Poster

Just a quick one before the rain came back in. Starts up, a little gas. 17 seconds. Just a little clip before you start your project.

http://youtu.be/qisU3lRPfGY

GottaHaveHart

No. Nitrous is for fags. It's got cubic inches.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Sounds pretty good! Tomorrow I'm going to hack off the mufflers real quick. If I like the sound while I am driving I will keep it that way. Otherwise I will do what you did and run a tail pipe out the back. Thanks again for the help!

Shelf:
JBA Shorty Headers

Daily Beater
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 09:48 PM
PostWhore

It's annoying in the highway with no mufflers. I just picked up some cheapo cherry bombs and it sounds alright. Having a loud exhaust isn't cool when a newer stock Altima can whoop you.

I love my V8, but I'd love it more if all 8 cylinders worked. (they do now)

My T-bird is like George Jetson's wife, you try to give her a little money, she takes the whole wallet.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Eh, I did my time with fast cars. Built a 12 second turbo coupe and had a 12 second Honda on the motor that went 11s on the giggle juice. If I wanted to be fast, I think I could have chosen an easier platform to build from than the Thunderbird lol. It is however a great daily beater with all of the luxuries I could ask for. I just want to make it look better, run a little better, and get better milage. A nice exhaust note never hurt anyone either

Shelf:
JBA Shorty Headers

Daily Beater
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 11:29 PM
PostWhore

I agree. It's your car and your choice. I never meant to offend, in just sharing me experience. I ran the no muffler thing for a while and it got annoying on longer trips and if you ever need to start your car late at night in a quiet neighborhood. I also look like I'm still 17 so it never helped with police.

My T-bird is like George Jetson's wife, you try to give her a little money, she takes the whole wallet.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Hey no offense taken I do appreciate the input. Trust me after running an open down pipe on the Turbo Coupe and an open header for a spell with the Honda, I'm no stranger to obnoxious exhausts lol. This doesnt seem too bad in the sound clip. I guess if i dont like it i can always clamp on some mufflers and call it a day!

Shelf:
JBA Shorty Headers

Daily Beater
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Talking Weekend Project Done! Muffler Delete 97 Bird

Spent a few hours today and about 20$ at PepBoys (I know I know) on a muffler delete. I'd say it turned out well considering my lack of tools (I've only been in NJ for a month) and the time in it. Took two hours total.

Tools used:
Hack Saw - for obvious reasons
Pry Bar - to pry the rubber hangers off o
14mm socket for the exhaust clamps
Hammer - to beat the tips down onto the pipe

I bought 24" of 2.25" OD pipe and two cheap tips (hence why I didn't mind beating on them with a hammer), and the new tail pipes tuck up nicely where the original muffler tips used to exit. They aren't visible unless you look under the car by design because I really don't want the local law seeing it.

I also want to point out the difference in sound with the pipes/tips and without. What a night and day difference the extra pipe on each side makes!!! And here's some crappy iphone pics just because I can - I will provide a sound clip if its desired but I think we all know what a muffler deleted 4.6 sounds like lol

Shelf:
JBA Shorty Headers

Daily Beater
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Lets hear it!

-Daniel

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Hang on, had to put my beer down and walk outside. Should be up in a second!

Shelf:
JBA Shorty Headers

Daily Beater
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

http://youtu.be/UELWJo8eSMo

Here it is. There is some turbulence in the system for obvious reasons, but I still think it has a nice note to it!

Shelf:
JBA Shorty Headers

Daily Beater
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Not bad! My 2.5 inch pipes have a throatier sound though Yours was a lot cheaper at 20 bucks!

-Daniel

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

2.5" would have been great but it wouldn't clamp on and seal too well. Don't worry I haven't paid for any welding yet so the price tag may go up if I decide it needs doing. Thanks though!

Shelf:
JBA Shorty Headers

Daily Beater
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 11:57 PM
PostWhore

Very clean. Where in nj are you?

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I'm in Moonachie. It's between Paramus and Hackensack, but closer to Hackensack if you've never heard of it. Right by rt 17 and rt 3 by the stadium.

Shelf:
JBA Shorty Headers

Daily Beater

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in