Exhaust Confusion.....Questions: - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Exhaust Confusion.....Questions:

So today I was underneath the Cougar.
Flushing the radiator,trying to figure out the overheating the Car has.
Started looking around the car and besides noticing the underside is very clean I started taking note of the crazy exhaust set up the Car has.
I would like to run true dual exhaust,2.5 piping,No cats and small bullet style mufflers out the sides,exiting before the rear wheels on both sides with chrome tips.
This doesn't seem to be the popular style for these cars,but its what I want.
Questions are as follows:
What is the purpose of the "H" or "X" pipes and do we need this for an exhaust set up of this kind?
If I delete the Cats,what do I do for the o2 sensors?
If I run without the H or X pipe will this change the sound and tone and if Yes,how so?
Will I have room for the above mentioned H or X with the exhaust being so short?
Input appreciated.
I am NOT concerned with the Car being very loud,its a plus to Me,but sound quality is important.
The Car is NOT going to be a daily driver.

I sure Love the Focus,but this Cougar should be something else.....
Resident Cougar Rat Rod Pariah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 10:43 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
You do know the gas tank is ahead of the rear wheels and is made out of plastic, right? It's not unpopular for no reason.

-Matt
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
let him melt the outer edges of the gas tank that are not heat shield protected away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Wait,so where do the stock pipes run to avoid the gas tank?

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
let him melt the outer edges of the gas tank that are not heat shield protected away.
I guess to avoid this sarcastic piece of advice,I reckon I can run a fuel cell in the trunk.

But that still leaves me with H pipe,X pipe or no cross pipe?
o2 sensors after cats are deleted?

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 12:28 AM
Kind of slapped together

The "X" pipe serves to help equalize the exhaust pulses for better scavaging. It's up to you to use it or not - but it's technically better.

A "H" pipe doesn't do as well.

As to "where do the stock pipes run"? Don't you still have stock pipes on your car? In any case, there's a nice heat shield and tunnel in the gas tank for the exhaust pipe(s).

If you give up on the "in front of the back tires", you can buy duals with either a X-pipe or a X-resonator (I'd recommend the X-resonator, but that's because I'm deaf enough with my tinnitus already, no need to create MORE noise pollution!) all the way to the back (behind the rear axle).

You could also buy their front half, and run from there out.

Now, for the front half - they don't list the 5.0HO, but after talking to them, they'll be glad to send an additional plug for the driver's side. The only real difference that's supposed to be there (as in "Well, I haven't tried this yet ... ") is that the 5.0HO has the driver's side O2 in the exhaust manifold, the 3.8NA and 3.8SC (and the 4.6) have the O2s in the exhaust pipe.

One more note - the 5.0HO? Didn't have rear O2 sensors, being as how they were all EEC-IV not OBDII in the MN12's.

RwP
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
The "X" pipe serves to help equalize the exhaust pulses for better scavaging. It's up to you to use it or not - but it's technically better.

A "H" pipe doesn't do as well.

As to "where do the stock pipes run"? Don't you still have stock pipes on your car? In any case, there's a nice heat shield and tunnel in the gas tank for the exhaust pipe(s).

If you give up on the "in front of the back tires", you can buy duals with either a X-pipe or a X-resonator (I'd recommend the X-resonator, but that's because I'm deaf enough with my tinnitus already, no need to create MORE noise pollution!) all the way to the back (behind the rear axle).

You could also buy their front half, and run from there out.

Now, for the front half - they don't list the 5.0HO, but after talking to them, they'll be glad to send an additional plug for the driver's side. The only real difference that's supposed to be there (as in "Well, I haven't tried this yet ... ") is that the 5.0HO has the driver's side O2 in the exhaust manifold, the 3.8NA and 3.8SC (and the 4.6) have the O2s in the exhaust pipe.

One more note - the 5.0HO? Didn't have rear O2 sensors, being as how they were all EEC-IV not OBDII in the MN12's.

RwP

No,its not the stock pipes on the Cougar.
Its a pretty sloppy custom job from a previous owner.still retaining 3 cats with some sort of "Y" configuration into dual's out the rear.
Makes no difference in sounds at all.
I know I saw what appeared to be an o2 on the passenger side in the exhaust pipe itself before the cat.
Will try to snap some pics later today.
Thank You for a decent,well thought out answer.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DueceCoupe View Post
Wait,so where do the stock pipes run to avoid the gas tank?
They don't. Two words: heat shield.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 01:55 PM
PostWhore

Garage
that's sounds exactly like the stock setup to me. its a 3 cat assembly, resonator, pipe running through the fuel tank tunnel, then a Ypipe out to duels with the 4.6 right off the lot. and it looks pretty sloppy. im sure the 5.0s are pretty similar.

if you know someone with a pipe bender you could just run the two pipes down the factory fuel tank tunnel like the mandrel system is. might save a little of the heafty pricetag on the mandrel set. just weld em together so they dont rattle, its going to be close

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars

Last edited by nall_one; 08-11-2013 at 02:01 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueceCoupe View Post
No,its not the stock pipes on the Cougar.
Its a pretty sloppy custom job from a previous owner.still retaining 3 cats with some sort of "Y" configuration into dual's out the rear.
Makes no difference in sounds at all.
I know I saw what appeared to be an o2 on the passenger side in the exhaust pipe itself before the cat.
Will try to snap some pics later today.
Thank You for a decent,well thought out answer.
Funny - if you'll check the service manual and the Ford and Walker part books, you'd notice that the factory WAS Y-single-Y design! That was to make it easier to bend around the gas tank, BTW. Duals there tend to rattle unless done VERY carefully.

There is an O2 on the passenger side, which I didn't specify. Specifying the DRIVER'S side had the O2 in the exhaust manifold was enough, I thought, but you're right, it wasn't quite plain enough.

There's no rear (behind the cats) O2s, though, on the 5.0HO.

RwP
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 03:27 PM
̇

Garage
Here's a pic of what the 91-93 5.0 MN12 exhaust set-up should look like if it's still all stock..

Thunderbird or Cougar 5.0 Exhaust.jpg

The 91 5.0 cars exhaust sytem wraps around the fuel tank..Closer to the frame rail..The 92-93 5.0 cars exhaust sytem does not run along the frame rail..

In fact that's why a lot of guys upgrade to the 92+ Fuel Tank...Easier exhaust options running closer to the center of the car..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueceCoupe
I would like to run true dual exhaust,2.5 piping,No cats and small bullet style mufflers out the sides,exiting before the rear wheels on both sides with chrome tips.
I take it you seen Bruce's exhaust set-up?

One thing you need to realize is..His exhaust set-up is possible because he runs a fuel cell in the trunk..

If you try to just run the exhaust poking out the sides under the rockers..You're exhaust is going to bottom out on almost everything..

Also as mentioned if you try to just run the exhaust poking out the sides you're going to be dangerously close to the stock fuel tank..

I personally like the sound of a 5.0 with the H-Pipe..

Both the X-Pipe, and the H-Pipe set-ups are to equalize the exhaust..Each one has it's advantages..

If you run your exhaust without an "H", or "X" pipe set-up..You might get some "popcorn" sounds...lol

I think Ralph covered everything else..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison

Last edited by Rayo; 07-16-2017 at 04:42 PM. Reason: update pic..
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks for the input Guys.
I am really very tempted to put the fuel cell in the trunk.
Have the money to do so,but sounds like a PITA just to run side exit exhaust.
I want this Car to be loud,curious now to see if it makes a difference being side exit or straight out the back.
Think it would just look so much "meaner" out the sides.
After looking at the pics above it does appear to still be the original exhaust set up.
Wow,really not maximized for efficient flow.
Again,Guys Thanks for the input.
Its appreciated.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:04 AM
PostWhore

I just had to deal with muffler shops that did not want to work on my exhaust unless they were to put it back to factory condition with the 3rd cat. My 3rd cat was removed and replaced with a Y-pipe back when I first got the car thanks to the dealership. For some reason that shop had gutted one of the remaining cats and filled it will a Brillo pad like material so I ended up pulling that junk out and gutting the other cat myself. I wanted to replace my gutted cats with high flow cats but now I'm thinking I'm better off with what I have or if anything add some strait through pipes to the hollow cats.

Beyond cats going true dual adds the scavenging effect but that may be not be necessary with N/A engines or at least ones that don't have performance cams and heads. Changing the stock muffler with a higher flow performance model is a step in the right direction but so is just going with hacking the old muffler off and adding nice tips. Removing the resonator only serves to add that dreaded drone so that should be kept until you do go with true duals and an X or H pipe. It's up to you to decide how loud you want your exhaust to be and where you like your HP power band to peak and whatnot.

If you want to really make your car loud just loosen the nuts holding the upper exhaust to the headers and call it a day! Just don't get mad at me when the cops pull you over.

Now that I look back and see that you have a 5.0 with a custom sloppy custom exhaust job then you may or may not need to add a resonator.

-Randy-

Last edited by V8ThunderCat; 08-25-2013 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Beer.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 11:12 AM

If I delete the third cat and do 2.5 tru duals will I still be able to pass smog..if any can provide that info id appreciate it
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonbird View Post
If I delete the third cat and do 2.5 tru duals will I still be able to pass smog..if any can provide that info id appreciate it
Being an emissions inspector for Nevada I will answer this for you. That depends on whether or not they do a visual inspection, whether or not the inspector knows how many catalytic converters should be equipped on your vehicle when doing a visual inspection and whether or not your front two catalytic converters are working properly along with the overall running condition of you vehicle (assuming they do tail pipe testing).

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 01:55 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Not in Rancho Cordova with that setup you will not pass the visual like Chris said, unless by some miracle they dont look under the car. It would be legal if you can get an exhaust guy to replace that 3rd cat with a dual in / dual out cat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in