Shorty Header Install? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Question Shorty Header Install?

Just looking to see who has done this in the driveway and how big of a headache it was. I have a set of JBA's on the way that I scooped up for a steal on eBay. However in looking down into the engine bay, and even from under the car, there doesn't look to be ANY room! If you could do it again, would you pay someone else to do it? Just tossing the idea out there. Thanks in advance for any helpful insight!

70mm Explorer TB, MAC intake arm, C&L 76MM MAF, K&N Cone - modded air box top to fit over top and block some of the engine heat, silencer removal, 2.25" straight pipe Muffler Delete, Pioneer MP3/ CD/Bluetooth deck, Pioneer Components, 2 Pioneer 10's, Pioneer Amp

Shelf:
JBA Shorty Headers

Daily Beater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I'd sell the pos JBAs for a profit and save the headache.

-Matt
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

That's likely going to happen. It doesn't look like I want to tangle with the install. What's so bad about them if you don't mind me asking?

70mm Explorer TB, MAC intake arm, C&L 76MM MAF, K&N Cone - modded air box top to fit over top and block some of the engine heat, silencer removal, 2.25" straight pipe Muffler Delete, Pioneer MP3/ CD/Bluetooth deck, Pioneer Components, 2 Pioneer 10's, Pioneer Amp

Shelf:
JBA Shorty Headers

Daily Beater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 04:53 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I had mine installed years ago at a muffler shop for $150. I had a cracked manifold with a broken stud on it and decided to buy these. This was also before the price of Kooks sky rocketed and was pretty close in price. I also didn't think the Kooks would be emissions legal but I wish I had gotten them now for the better performance gains. I haven't had any issues with the JBA headers at all but after installed I had a better high rpm pull. Could have just been that I had a bad exhaust leak in the first place.

If you Fail to plan, then you plan to Fail!
I'll forever bleed Ford Blue

Drae
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The JBA shorties have been seen to flow less than stock manifolds.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
The JBA shorties have been seen to flow less than stock manifolds.
I've always wondered why that is. The tubing itself isn't terribly small, and the bends aren't bad. Must be the difference in primary lengths...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
The fact that they gain nothing and are prone to cracking after a couple years makes me think ported stock manifolds are far superior. If you want headers do kooks, if they are too expensive do ported manifolds.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 09:44 PM
West Virginia Chapter Director /
MA Drag Race Team Coordinator

Garage
Damn

And to think I've been running those JBA shorties all these years. Guess whenever I get another motor in my car I'll have to do a set of kooks to see how they do. Yeah, they are prone to crack as mine had to be welded twice.

I'm always behind the curve. But I've always made do with what I had.

Steve
1996 Cougar XR7 Special Edition (Street & Strip)
"There's a bad, built NA 4.6L COMING Spring-Summer 2018"

Elite member of the Halfshaft snapping, Auburn eating, Tranny crunching, Piston Melting, Tire lifting, 500+ lb ft Torque Club.

Cougar ET-Stock 4.6 shortblock/Stock PI headswap Bullitt NA 12.94 @ 105+
Nitrous 11.75 @ 114 MPH

2008 Ford Powerstroke 6.4 TT F250 4X4 Supercrew: 12.82 @ 105 MPH

"IN MEMORY OF MY FRIENDS JOEL BENDER 1979-2006", JOHNNY LANGTON 1975-2011, and MICHAEL VIVERETTE 1953-2013"
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 11:09 PM
PostWhore

Ive been running my JBAs for over 2yrs with no issues. I as well dont see how they wouldnt flow.

1995 Tbird ~ 02 explorer SVO 4.6 Sold
1986 built/restored notch body mustang ~ appears as a 91+ built 5.0 gt40p, Ud pullies, ss headers, msd everything, arp head bolts, 1.7 crane roller rockers, B303 cam, Holley carb, high rise intake,5 speed, steeda everything. Sold
2001 GT BULLITT #00762 stock
2000 GT ~ 310 rwhp on mustang dyno. 08 2v, super low miles, comp 262 cams, bbk ud pullies, ported bullitt intake/accufab TB, 24# injectors, dyno tuned, 3inch pypes catless x pipe system, cobra brakes, coated cross & drilled rotors, Cobra r hood, 99-01 cobra front bumper, & 01-04 side scoops, dropped
2003 z71 avalanche fully loaded
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Wow seems like there are mixed reviews on these. Thank you for the info. Can anyone clear up how terrible they are to install?

Shelf:
JBA Shorty Headers

Daily Beater
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Converter Guy

it's about like doing a replacement of stock manifolds difficulty is a matter of opinion but it's about a 6 hr job. Breaking bolts will change things.....fast.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
The fact that they gain nothing and are prone to cracking after a couple years makes me think ported stock manifolds are far superior. If you want headers do kooks, if they are too expensive do ported manifolds.
Alan
I agree that the cracking issue leaves a lot to be desired, but in terms of output potential on a serious engine, I don't see why they would be so bad. Granted you won't get scavenging at typical RPMs with such short primaries, but I can't see them actually flowing any worse that stockers, or even ported stockers.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

Shelf:
JBA Shorty Headers

Daily Beater
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Converter Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
I agree that the cracking issue leaves a lot to be desired, but in terms of output potential on a serious engine, I don't see why they would be so bad. Granted you won't get scavenging at typical RPMs with such short primaries, but I can't see them actually flowing any worse that stockers, or even ported stockers.

Unless something changed between dyno runs the one dyno test I saw using them showed actual losses, all in all they aren't worth purchasing or even installing for performance purposes or reliability. It sucks to buy kooks but they are the only real answer for us. I have a company willing to produce less expensive headers but the initial investment is a bit steep.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
Unless something changed between dyno runs the one dyno test I saw using them showed actual losses,
that is the question, isn't it
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 12:32 AM
Converter Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
that is the question, isn't it

As always it is possible but they were posted here many years ago and most people don't make changes to decrease power. It could have taken internal engine damage or been bad fuel there are just so many variables...
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 05:41 AM
West Virginia Chapter Director /
MA Drag Race Team Coordinator

Garage
Well I can't say since I have no dyno numbers between the changes to verify. But let it be known whatever numbers mine have put up either dyno or on the track has been with JBA's on it. I'm only hoping at some point to have kooks on something else to see how much they really help.

I do expect the kooks would be significantly better especially at higher RPMS!! Especially for the money.

Steve
1996 Cougar XR7 Special Edition (Street & Strip)
"There's a bad, built NA 4.6L COMING Spring-Summer 2018"

Elite member of the Halfshaft snapping, Auburn eating, Tranny crunching, Piston Melting, Tire lifting, 500+ lb ft Torque Club.

Cougar ET-Stock 4.6 shortblock/Stock PI headswap Bullitt NA 12.94 @ 105+
Nitrous 11.75 @ 114 MPH

2008 Ford Powerstroke 6.4 TT F250 4X4 Supercrew: 12.82 @ 105 MPH

"IN MEMORY OF MY FRIENDS JOEL BENDER 1979-2006", JOHNNY LANGTON 1975-2011, and MICHAEL VIVERETTE 1953-2013"
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 08:41 AM
5th Gear Poster

Anybody know of a company that ports exhaust manifolds for our cars?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed"
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:14 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklovin93 View Post
Anybody know of a company that ports exhaust manifolds for our cars?
Yeah..TBirdBrain does..--->>>BrainCoating

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks again everyone!

Shelf:
JBA Shorty Headers

Daily Beater
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97JerseyBird View Post
Thanks again everyone!
If you ever actually do install them, you can see if they helped or not by getting yourself an Xcal2/3 and data logging the acceleration rate of your car. Of course this means that you would have to also do that prior to the install to have a baseline to compare it to. This would take out dyno variations, and only leave weather conditions as a variable (which can be corrected of course).
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Well if anyone has one for sale I would like to pick one up. But it wont be for a while since I just moved and brought a puppy home last night. Gotta get some money stashed before I buy more parts! lol

Shelf:
JBA Shorty Headers

Daily Beater

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in